Phoenixx Double ESB | Real Ale Brewing Company

Phoenixx Double ESBPhoenixx Double ESB

Real Ale Brewing Company
Texas, United States
realalebrewing.com

Style: Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB)

"Double ESB", Rotating/Seasonal

Added by TPoling on 12-31-2005

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

3.73/5  rDev +0.3%

A: beautiful dark amber. Not much head or lace.

M: Pleasant lighter mouthfeel, but viscous enough to not feel watery. For its lightness, I'd probably want a bit more carbonation.

T: toasted Jewish rye bread crust. Caraway seed. Caramels. White tea leaves. Hint of uncoated Tylenol.

Overall, I wasn't wow'ed... But I certainly drink another.

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

I got this beer when a Real Ale Rep stopped by and dropped off some of their beer. I poured it into a pint glass, of course.

A:Honestly, this beer has a lot of crap in it. It is not a tame beer. The color is a thick bronze.

S: I really didn't catch much aroma from this beer. I kinda figured that could happen with an ESB.

T: The taste is alright. It is not awesome, and it is not bad. I find it to be a decent beer.

M: For how thick this brew appears to be, I find this beer to be pretty light. I like how there is no crazy aftertaste/ feel left in my mouth.

O: I have always supported this beer, cause I am partial to ESBs and to beers made in Texas. I have found that if I was going to buy any real ale beer for myself, it would be this one... Fireman's four is over rated.

4.35/5  rDev +16.9%

Pours a hazy copper color with a nice foamy head. The aroma is sweet, fruity, light fruity hops. The flavor is smooth, spicy and light naturally fruity flavors, earthy, toasted malts, slightly hot. A great example of an English Strong Ale. I have been getting some brews in trades from Real Ale, and I have been pleasantly surprised.

3.39/5  rDev -8.9%

A: A dark brown/red pour, with a huge dense tan head atop. Retention is quite excellent. Lacing is nice as well.

S: Some bready malt, a bunch of caramel and almost a little wheaty (not sure if there's any wheat in the malt bill though). A little bit of grassy hops? That might be a reach, honestly I detect little/no hops.

T: Big caramel malt. Again, a little bit of wheaty presence. Kinda toasty, I assumed toasted malt was used.

M: Mid-range mouthfeel. Pretty standard.

O: A semi-big malty brew. Pretty much all malt, no real noticeable hops. Toast and caramel more or less. Not bad, but nothing special either.

2.5/5  rDev -32.8%