Phoenixx Double ESB | Real Ale Brewing Company

Phoenixx Double ESBPhoenixx Double ESB

Real Ale Brewing Company
Texas, United States
realalebrewing.com

Style: Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB)

"Double ESB", Rotating/Seasonal

Added by TPoling on 12-31-2005

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

3.45/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A; The beer has a nice redish brown color with a decent thick head.

S: I am picking up a good amount of caramel sweetness. Some green apple sourness and it sort of pierces the nose.

T: I enjoy the strong amount of malt of the beer. It is very nice and has a good amount of caramel and a little hop flavors.

M: The beer has a good amount of carbonation. It isnt anything special.

O: I think this is a very solid beer. I wont say that it is an amazing beer by any means, but it is worthy.

3.62/5  rDev -2.7%

12 oz bottle into nonic

A: a somewhat flat toned dark copper with moderate carbonation, good cling to the lace but the head didn't stand for too long

S: yeasty with bread and light hint of carob sweetness, fairly dark sweet aroma that almost suggests there is rye in there

T: fruity, hint of cherries, def. tasing the play on a bitter but much more sweet, leaves a strong but not unpleasant aftertaste of currant...reminds me of a bock at times in the experience.

M: very full but cracker dry in the mouth but only ends in a semi-dry spot. carbonation isn't too present.

O: this beer seems to fall in a weird spot. there are moments that you feel like you're drinking a bock for the body, darkness, and alcohol but the taste is def. a reference to a bitter. it's worth giving a try but probably not a daily drinker for me.

3.29/5  rDev -11.6%

12oz bottle into my Otter Creek glass. Dark caramel in color with a modest frothy white head. Very nice head retention and lacing. Great looking beer overall.

Big malty profile, with a good amount of caramel presence in it. Slightly crisp with some tart fruits as well. Interesting, but felt a little one dimensional at times.

The taste also shows a lot of malty character to it throughout the beer. It gets sweeter towards the finish with some caramel and toffee coming through. I get some herbal, earthy hops to it in the finish as well.

The mouthfeel is on the heavier side for the style with carbonation being below average. Overall a decent beer but not a great one. The flavors just didn't come together that well for me and the malty base just seemed a little overpowering and one dimensional. Decent beer overall.

2.73/5  rDev -26.6%

Served in a Walter Payton shaker pint glass.

Thanks to jl28r1 for this bottle!

The extra X means this stuff means business. It pours a hazy sunset amber topped by a finger of cream-white foam. The nose comprises toffee and grass. That is all. The taste holds notes of caramel, burnt grass, musty wheat, and a kinda meek snap of orange-peel bitterness. Ask m'lady sitting next to me while drinking this: my face went negative pretty quickly after this stuff was put on my tongue. Now, I don't wanna exaggerate: It wasn't god-awful, just unpleasant. The body is a light-ish medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a somehow nearly chewy feel. Overall, I did not have a good experience with this beer. The flavors seemed rather sideways, and everything was just too...I guess big would be the word here.

3.23/5  rDev -13.2%

A: Pours an opaque caramel color with a pretty substantial fluffy white head.

S: Smell is caramel, not too powerful though. If it smelled like this but stronger I might give it a higher score, it's a good aroma, just not powerful enough.

T: Right off the bat, this is a bit roastier than I was expecting. There's also a little bit of caramel sweetness (though not as much as I was expecting from the smell), and some bitter hoppiness in here. Not like any ESB I've ever had. None of the flavors are particularly strong, but the roastiness lingers more than the rest, so it stands out as the dominant flavor, which I don't think is really what's best for the beer.

M: Medium-bodied and carbonated. I think it would actually be better with a little bit thicker of a body.

O: Well, I'll give this one points for originality, I've never had a beer quite like this. Unfortunately it kinda ends up tasting like a watered-down porter.

Phoenixx Double ESB from Real Ale Brewing Company