Hans' Pils | Real Ale Brewing Company

Added by champ103 on 08-08-2010

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

3.46/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

First, I really like that it's in a can. Nice, traditional artwork with a font that evokes old world Germanness and a hop pictured beyond the writing, making me think this will be a hoppy version of a Pils, right?

Appearance: First demerit is that it's light in color compared to a normal German Pils. It's light gold, looks thin, and got a protein haze to it. The haze would be ok if it were Kellerbier, but their selling it as a Pils.

Aroma: Decent amount of Pils malt aroma, more toasty than a German, sweeter than usual, but it's got also a nice Noble hop coming up underneath that.

Flavor:
Up front: Nice biting Noble hop bitterness, but not too heavy, just right actually. There's a nice tartness, too, verging more on citrusy and crisp.

Mid: Even more bitterness and tart/astringent biting flavor here, very nice, some more citrus and almost lemony. I'm not getting much sweet Pils malt here, where you'd usually find it in a German Pils.

Back: Also ditto above, quite bitter, which I like. Not much Pils malt sweetness, again. In the very back, you finally get it, though not a lot. It's good, but again, it's like a pale imitation of a German Pils.

Aftertaste: All bitterness from Noble hops, like sucking on a hop before throwing it in the boil.

Mouthfeel: mmmm, sorry to say it, but here is where it really falls down on the job. It's light, crisp, almost getting to the thick Pils mouthfeel a German Pils demand, yet never quite reaching it. Disappointing is how I would describe this mouthfeel, for I really want to like it.

Overall: I really want to like this beer. Yes, I get that hop-forward Pils is what kinda Märicans probably are hankerin' for, but it still is slightly disappointing for me. It's quite bitter, almost in the high 30s or low 40s IBU-wise, and again, I'm finding a serious lack of enough German Pils malt backbone. It's like, "hey, I can do hops, yeah, hops, that's it, I'll hop it up, and now I got a Pils." Unfortunately, hops are only a part of a Pils, and though a hoppy Pils is good, balance within the spectrum of Pils malt sweetness is essential to make it get beyond just good or serviceable. But after drinking more sips, I'm getting more Pils malt sweetness, even though I can't pinpoint where it's coming from, but it's almost a sickly sweetness that's not complex enough. Hard to explain such nuances, but that's where I'm at for this beer. The mouthfeel, though crisp, is still a major demerit for me. A 3.5 of 5.

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%