Fireman's #4 | Real Ale Brewing Company

Added by kbub6f on 02-23-2003

Reviews: 183 | Ratings: 797
3.73/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Had from a bottle from grocery store. Pore clear gold, excellent carbonation. Exactly how the style should look. Aroma is malty, sweet, no noticable hop aroma. A great beer from a day on the patio. If it were available in cans, would be my go-to lake/beach/river beer. Accessable to beer drinkers of all types - this is what I give my friends when only craft beer is available and they are BMC drinkers.

3.34/5  rDev -2.9%

Real Ale's website says this is 5.1% ABV

As hard as I tried I couldn't pour more than 1/2" head, lacing almost nonexistent, clear straw yellow, looks like a macro lager. Not much on the nose, a hint of shaving lotion (probably floral notes of the hops) above a thin malty backdrop. At least it doesn't taste like shaving lotion, not much stands out good or bad, actually fairly tasty in the same vein as Shiner Blond. Mouthfeel is nothing spectacular but easy drinking nonetheless.

A solid middle of the road brew, would make good session beer or an outstanding lawnmower if it was cheaper.

3.44/5  rDev 0%

Golden, clear. head dissapates quickly. medium carbonation. this is my 1st blonde ale, so I have no others to compare it to. it reminds me of a witbier which is not my favorite. a little too much fruit. finishes clean and is easy to drink. malty with only the slightest hint of hops.

This is as close to a lager that Real Ale is going to get:
This light bodied blonde ale is perfectly balanced with a touch of Crystal hops for bittering and aromatics. Fireman's #4 is a great choice on any hot Texas summer day or pair it with spicy foods to help you put out the fire.

While it doesn't have the carbonation of a lager this beer does seem
cut out for a session ale. Its not heavy on either malt or hops and is a well made beer that's a good foundation for RA's product line.

3.33/5  rDev -3.2%

Tough to see its full appearance since the restaurant I was at did not provide a glass to pour my beer into. However, from what I saw it was a mostly clear blonde ale, with just a bit of sediment at the bottom of the bottle.

Not a terribly aromatic beer since I did not detect too much from this beer.

The taste was pleaseant and I cannot complain. It paired well with the chicken fried steak on a hot afternoon. Maybe just the slightest bit of sweetness like other have noted. Also I completely agree about letting this beer warm a bit to experience it full affest. I got it right out of the ice box and I was less than impressed, but as it warmed I "warmed" to the beer.

A descent mouthfeel and not the least bit heavy heavy on my palate. If in a bind and this was on a list, I would drink this beer over just about anything else especially in a macro sense. Nice effort for a go to beer from the folks in Blanco!

2.95/5  rDev -14.2%

Received this beer from TTU94. Nice to have some Texas Beers again.

Firemans 4 pours a very light straw color that is hazy with a white buubly head that dissipates quickly.

The aroma is of lemons, with a touch of malt and hops in the distance.

The taste is very light as well, again with a hint of lemon/citrus, a touch of malt and some decent hops on the end. The beer is between light and medium bodied and drinkable.

A solid warm day BBQ beer but nothing that inspires.

Prosit!

4.04/5  rDev +17.4%

I finally broke down one morning after work and decided to go to Katz's on 6th street in Austin to have a drink. I saw this, and was intrigued, as I had never heard of it before. So, being a pioneer of new beer, I decided to give it a shot. Needless to say, I was very surprised and happy with my decision!

A: Very light yellow, slightly cloudy and had a bit of turbidity to it. I could see some residual yeast floating in it

S: Smelled yeasty, with a small whiff of alcohol, and very much like beer! I was impressed-this smells better than anything else I've ever tried

T: Out of this world GOOD! Very light on the palate, but nice and malty, and a little hoppy to finish. I could also detect a light lemony taste, which kind of reminded me of lemon scented pledge..Alcohol also makes a small appearance, but is quickly muted. Very nice overall balance

M: Kind of thin, almost like water, but hey, the taste more than makes up for that

D: Very high! I drank 6 pints in my first sitting, and expect to drink more the next go around

I had this beer with a #7 on the menu. It was worth the money, and anyone who goes to Katz's should try this...If you like good beer, you will not be disappointed in the least

4.27/5  rDev +24.1%

Admittedly this one of my favorite beers so my review is biased. Pours with a lighten golden color, minimal head. Transparent body. Has a smell of malts with traces of citrusy fruits. Taste is very smooth with a high amount of carbonation along with the fruits. Very easy beer to drink, has a light beginning and ends with a crisp bite. Not overpowering and a wonder to drink.

3.35/5  rDev -2.6%

On tap at our hotel bar in Dallas. doing an expedited review.

Not a whole lot to write home about with this one. It seems to be the go to local brew for most of the bars here in Dallas. A stepup from the normal BMC that they serve along with Shiner Bock (as I expectected). I was hoping my trip to Texas would have allowed me to try some new brews but it would appear the TX beer taste buds have not evolved much yet.

This one is a good upgrade for the BMC switchers/tweeners who want to branch out. Good earthy hop bitterness and some lemony enfluences too. Good carbonation.

It's beer. I drank it. End of post.

3.25/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours golden and slightly cloudy with a modest head with minimal lacing. Aroma of citrus, floral, and maybe a bit of yeast. Flavor is similar to aroma, very smooth, even somewhat creamy, with mild hop aftertaste. Nice, drinkable blonde ale but nothing special.

3.77/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured a nice golden yellow color with about 2 fingers width of cream colored head. Aroma was not pretty good but it could be better. It had hints of honey and very subtle touch of hops. It taste like a carbonated mead.

A very smooth drink and something I would enjoy at a bar. Definitely a beer to suggest to first time beer drinkers, and a beer to take to gatherings.

3.18/5  rDev -7.6%

bottle to sam adam's perfect pint glass

nice clear golden color. white head that dies down after a minute. Great carbonation.

Appearance: The smell is malty, similar to some of the non-alcoholic "malt beverages" out there.

Taste: Sweet and citrusy, with a hint of hops.

MouthFeel: crisp and clean in the mouth. Very smooth and easy to drink. just the right amount of carbonation.

overall: a great beer for the summer. very refreshing, and at a great price, one i go back to quite often. This is one of the Texas beers converting BMC drinkers into craft drinkers.

3.35/5  rDev -2.6%

I don't disagree with the band-aid smell comment from another reviewer. I would say that the taste was very thin. I want to the rhe Ila right after and I think that this beer made that beer taste better... and unerring rated quality I might add. This beer is fine foe a hot summer day but more than two in a session would get on my nerves.

3.55/5  rDev +3.2%

On tap at the Ginger Man in downtown Austin.

The beer was a slightly hazy straw color with a touch of white head. It laced the glass nicely. Smell was tart, like wheat malt and apricots, with a little touch of hops. The aftertaste had those same notes, though the main flavor was clean like a German-style lager. Enough hop presence balanced the beer's sweetness, making an overall well-rounded brew. The beer's body was the appropriately light for a refreshing summer ale. I would have this one again next time I'm in Austin.

3.13/5  rDev -9%

Had from a can at their 16th anniversary party.

A - Light golden and moderately clear. Thin head with low retention and little lacing.

S - Light biscuity malt and a faint yeasty frutiness.

T - Light and mellow flavors with an almost berry like characteristic which I'm assuming must be from the yeast. Very little hop bitterness and quite a bit of malt sweetness.

M - Medium/High carbonation and light bodied. Residual sugars present.

O - Fireman's is a well-crafted beer, but its flavor lingers which is the opposite of what I'm looking for in an American Blonde Ale. Still, it is frequently the best option on tap and I will continue to drink it.

3.03/5  rDev -11.9%

Not much to it. Pours a pretty golden ale color with a fairly dense head and above average carbonation. Slightest of citrus notes...maybe. Probably a good session ale on a hot day. Not my favorite style....but it's fine for what it is.

3.13/5  rDev -9%

Cloudy yellow straw color, with a small fruity aroma and small amounts of malt.

Its a light bodied beer, with a low bitterness in the aftertaste. This is a great beer. and I was able to drink 4 in one sitting... so this serves for a good drinkability.

3.63/5  rDev +5.5%

Well, it's a solid overall ale. I'm not overly impressed with the flavor, but it's not disappointing either. It's really just average.

Appearance: golden blond, pale, clean with some cloudiness.

Smell: Not a whole lot going on here. Smells mildly hoppy... a little yeasty. Nothing outstanding.

Taste: Again, not really outstanding, but not bad either. It's got a little bit of malt, just a tiny hoppy bite at the end. It kinda reminds me of a Heffeweizen... but without the citrus. It's really drinkable, and would definitely be a great beer for a cookout. That said, it's definitely not something I would choose if I wanted a more complex flavor.

Mouthfeel: It's a little watery, but overall average. I've gotten a little spoiled by drinking Belgian strong ales that have the thick sticky mouthfeel. It definitely helps the drinkability.

Drinkability: This is one of those beers you can drink one after another without worrying about missing out on the flavors. Startlingly smooth and simple.

2.38/5  rDev -30.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle.

Beer was fairly clear, a light straw color with a small thin head. The aroma was of very light malt, with no hop aroma evident. Taste was about the same, a little malt, slightly grainy with not much else evident. Mouthfeel was thin and watery. Overall, I didn't care for this one, it needed more of some type of character - malt - hops - something.

3.03/5  rDev -11.9%

A: Hazy straw with a two finger head

S: Sweet malty smell with some citrus.

T: Biscuity malts with some citrus hops. Mainly sweet. clean.

M: Low carbonation. Thin mouthfeel. Quaffable.

O: A pretty good summertime beer. Not my favorite but one I would by again at it's price point.

2.3/5  rDev -33.1%

This one comes to us brewed by the fine folks at the Real Ale Brewing Co, in Blanco, Texas. It is brewed in the style of an American Pale Ale. Beers of this style tend to be heavy on the malt with a slight hoppiness to them, a moderate ABV and a slight scent of Belgian yeast. Typically similar to an American lager, these usually have a little more flavor and character. Not long ago, Real Ale repackaged this one as being brewed by the Alamo Beer Company, and renamed Alamo Golden Ale in honor of the Alamo defenders.

This one pours a light straw yellow, with a small amount of cloudiness, into a pint glass. Minimal head that leaves you far too quickly. Lacing is o.k., however it does not stick around.

A little different than when I tried it as Alamo Golden Ales, the malt aroma still hit me right away with the strong malt aroma. Although this was almost more reminiscent of Budweiser. Yeast undertones still balanced this out and saved it a little.

Upon first taste, this was almost exactly like a Budweiser. Although Bud is a lager, The heavy malt reminds you of it. The longer it lingers in your mouth the more the attempt to make prominant the Belgian yeast strain becomes. A very minimal hop flavor rounds this out with a hint of citrus.

Overall, this was more than I expected, but less than I hoped for. the yeast definately gave it more character than a typical mass produced American lager, but I will not be anxious to repaet. This one weighs in at around 5% ABV and will not knock you over.

Do not recommend this one again...

2.4/5  rDev -30.2%

A: Pours a bright straw colour that's clear with a head that quickly disapates.

S: Definitely not a strong smell, but I finally got a note of sweet malts.

T: Disappointing, the incredibly strong flavors of yeast were unbalanced. It was reminiscent of a South or Central American macrobrew.

M: It was crisp and enjoyable and the only reward to the not so enjoyable taste.

4.6/5  rDev +33.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

12oz bottle. Thank Ninkasi, they distribute it now! I read an earlier post, and this was originally known (in San Anonio area only) as Alamo Golden Ale.

Ap- Pours a Nice white foamy head. Straw color which says "blonde". Little lacing remains between sips.

Sm- Yeasty, and crystal hops

Ta- slightly tangy to dry malt. Light, tangy finish. the tang lingers and becomes dryness after several moments

M- Med-light mouthfeel

D - Tasty with an aftertaste that starts out very pleasant and degrades slowly to a dryness that begs another sip. Sessionable. I don't know how to style this beer is, but it is a good alternative to the fake beer that both fake beer drinkers and real beer drinkers can both agree on (especially on tap)

4.02/5  rDev +16.9%

This was a good beer. Much lighter than I normally prefer but a great summertime refreshing beer. Drink one on a hot afternoon and see if you agree. I was slightly reminded of a wheat beer with it's effervescence and slightly cloudy appearance. Very crisp with a hint of bitter and sweetness. Reminds me of a pale ale but a little lighter.

3.83/5  rDev +11.3%

This is a good blond ale, but nothing to drive miles to get, or keep a great amount on hand.

Cloudy-ish golden color, with decent head and lacing.

Smell isn't very strong, and perhps a bit flat. But not bad either.

Taste was pretty good for the style. I like it ok. Not overhelming. Slightly sweet and decent malts.

Ok mouthfeel, but not anything special. But not bad on the other hand either. Carbonation was ok.

I could drink a few in a session, so I would give it decent drinkability.

Summation would be: Not great, but not bad either.

Fireman's #4 from Real Ale Brewing Company