Brewer's Cut Blonde Barleywine Ale | Real Ale Brewing Company

12 oz bottle to Libbey Belgian
Barleywine
Bought late March 2013?
Best by 12.31.13

A – Decently clear and translucent. Quite golden.

S – A sweet, resiny smell, backed up by some spice. Sort of like a sweet melon with some grass and citrus zest. There’s also some breadiness, as I am reminded of the Duvel Tripel hop I had last week. Don’t shoot me, but I am slightly reminded of a saison.

T – I’m really getting a hybrid of styles here. I’d describe it as a sweeter, slightly thicker IPA. Hops impart flavors of grass and citrus, all while being wrapped up in a slightly sweet, boozy blanket that unfurls after the swallow.

M – Medium bodied, slightly sticky. Soft and slick though, and stays close to the tongue. A pretty wet finish. I like it, and I think on hotter days when a dry finish might be wanted, the flavor will make up for the wet finish.

D – I’m torn between openly liking it and being left wanting more to better decide. I suppose being left wanting more is a good thing! I do like that there’s some sweetness and good medium body, yet also some oomph from the hop flavors. I think it’s a little rough around the edges, as the smells and flavors can be picked out but they don’t meld seamlessly (like a well-made Belgian ale) or support each other while being distinct and giving the beer what I call ‘flavor clarity’ (like Enjoy By 07.04.13). I think I’m going to buy some more so I can re-review, and cellar a couple bottles. That’s a good sign.
4.25, 4, 4, 4, 4; 4.01

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

3.87/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

appearance: two finger off-white head. hazy topaz hue. medium carbonation from what it looks like. head fades sllowly to a one finger and then to a cap while drinking. lace sticks quite nicely to the glass.

nose: bready with some honey, toffee, and malt. some citrus in there. maybe a little apple. slight grapefruit. muted grassiness.

taste: buttery with some similar notes as the nose. honey wheat bread with a citrus and dry bitter finish. definitely some toffee and a hint of dark fruit. this is not as heavy on the sweetness as a full out barleywine, but it has the flavor profile of one while being somewhat muted, though not in a bad way. This is definitely a more refreshing version that was not meant to be as big as it can be. it definitely has that brown sugar thing going on. pretty well balanced between sweet and bitter.

mouthfeel: nice and chewy with moderate carbonation. pretty damn perfect for this beer. i wouldn't change anything about the mouthfeel.

overall: As barleywines are my favorite style, I've had plenty of experiences where one barleywine is enough. They are incredibly flavorful, but also very heavy, rich, and strong so typically the ones i find in bombers are definitely enough. this is the first blonde barleywine i've ever had and i dare say that the brewers are genius to produce this beer. it definitely mixes the classic barelywine flavor with the drinkability of a summer beer so that i can actually enjoy barelywines in the summer without having to blast my AC to simulate the winter climate. the only caveat with this beer is that it should not be allowed to get as warm as a typical barleywine. if you follow the serving temperature of a pale ale, this is smooth, flavorful, and just awesome all the way through.

3.77/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Kind of a yellow-tan and somewhat hazy, not much head or lacing, despite a pretty rough pour over two bottles of sampling this beer.

Aroma is plenty of malts, tons of citrus, a little fruitiness.

Flavor has some true barleywine type aspects, fruitiness, maltiness, but is heavier on citrus flavors, and has a moderate hop flavor.

Body wise it's fairly b arleywine-like, but lighter to some extent. Carbonation is pretty light. Drinkability is pretty good, I could possibly have two of these in a session, where most barleywines would be only one.

It's an interesting take on barleywine. I commend RABC for trying different things. I look forward to their next beer that shows up on my local shelf. Because Blanco isn't far from here, we're getting some fresh stuff. Value-wise I'm always happy with RABC and have never complained about the quality to price ratio.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast