War Of 1812 Ale | Sackets Harbor Brewing Co.

War Of 1812 AleWar Of 1812 Ale

Sackets Harbor Brewing Co.
New York, United States

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

4.5/5  rDev +32.4%

3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

a not quite amber pale ale. pours as average as can be, clear golden with only a hint of red color to it, small head. smells malty and boring, and the taste is similar, but with some sort of sour finish, almost like a weaker version of a flemish sour at the end. not unpleasant at all, but it doesnt belong in this beer. its got decent drinkability but it isnt exciting enough for me to want to drink all night.

4.5/5  rDev +32.4%

3.97/5  rDev +16.8%

Ah, the good ol' War of 1812... in the form of an amber ale? Sounds like a good time.

From the pour of theis amber ale you actually get an off-amber color, it's a little more yellow or gold than your typical amber or red ale; but all's well in the aroma department as this beer gives off the fragrant maltiness you expect from any malt-centric style.

The head's about a finger or so with a vigorous pour and , leaves just about nothing for lacing. The carbonation of this beer, too, is a bit dull, but I find in a malt focused beer, carbonation can keep you from experiencing the true smoothness of the malt selection, so perhaps this is intentional--if not just beneficial.

Upon the first sip, you can taste, of course, a lot of sweeter, caramel malts with too, a bit of some darker roasted malts and an array of fruitiness I can't quite put my finger on (I want to say mango, but that can't be right...) as well as some vanilla and a general nuttiness. There is also a little bit of an alcohol taste which balances out some of the between-sip sweetness.

I am not usually too big a fan of amber ale's but this one drinks pretty well and has a nice balance of sweetness and heartiness, which makes it stand out from some of the other red ales that have become more mainstream (Killians for a good example).

A: This amber ale is actually not quite amber, but I don't hold it against it!
S: You got some real red/amber ale aromas here! Malty, fruit, nut, more malt--great amber ale stuff here.
T: I find this to be a well balanced amber ale, where I find others to be either too sweet or centered on just one facet of it's flavor this seems to embrace all of its different flavors.
M: This brew has a medium body and mouthfeel with a surprising creaminess which helps you taste some of the more subtle fruit flavors hidden away in this beer's complexity.
O: I would recommend this as a good session amber ale that is well balanced and equally complex. Sacket's Harbor's brewers have done the War of 1812 justice (in an odd way, no doubt) I'd say!

3.2/5  rDev -5.9%

This beer was given to me as a birthday gift from my parents. They tried finding me something that I've never had before and they did with beer. Had my first one of the 6 pack last night. The beer poured out as a amberish orange color. The head was thin white and fizzy. The retention wasn't the greatest or anything and neither was the lacing. The smell of the beer has a grainy sweetness to it. The taste of the beer is also a little sweet up front and remains that way for more of the time I was drinking it. The bitterness isn't very strong on this one. The mouthfeel of the beer was on the light side, kind of watery, overall it's a drinkable brew but I don't see myself buying more of this once I'm out of it.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Appearance - Auburn, one finger head, min lacing, no carbonation

Smell - Malts, caramel, black lycorise

Taste - Dry, toffee, caramel

Mouthfeel - Added volume, metallic all very distinct in the taste.

Overall - not a beer id run out and buy a case of, but as the beer got down in the class, i found myself enjoying it more and more. great share with SpinRSX!

12oz Bottle

Appearance - Clear copper colour with an average size frothy white coloured head. There is a low amount of carbonation showing and there is some good lacing. The head lasted for around 4 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, toffee, licorice

Taste & Mouth - There is a slightly below average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts mixed with toffee. There is also a very distinctive flavour in this beer.. perhaps licorice. It finishes with a malty toffee aftertaste.

Overall - At first I wasn't crazy about the taste but it grew on me and I progressed through the glass. At least it's a little different than most of the amber beers out there. I'm not sure I could drink more than a 1 or 2 in a sitting though. Thanks for the bottle Swedes21

War Of 1812 Ale from Sackets Harbor Brewing Co.