Proving Ground IPA | Magnolia Pub & Brewery

Proving Ground IPAProving Ground IPA

Magnolia Pub & Brewery
magnoliapub.com

Style: American IPA

One of Magnolia's most-loved and asked-for beers, an over-the-top IPA we've been brewing since 1999. It's a hybrid, built around English Maris Otter malt and fermented with our English ale yeast but then packed with a powerful hop charge like an American IPA, including big dry hop character. American hops dominate but Maris Otter comes through with a malty counterpoint in a way not often found in this style of beer.

Added by Mark on 01-03-2004

Liked:
3.86/5
Alströms:

4.63/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had this on tap at Magnolia. Unfortunately they didn’t have it on cask on my visit otherwise I’d include some side-by-side comparison notes.

This pours a light caramel tan-sunny gold color with tight bubbling.

There’s a sharp grassy piney aroma on it, followed by some toasted straw notes.

Fantastic flavor—it just knocks it out of the park with a great blend of toasted straw, piney notes, and grassy green, finishing with some slight chew and a easygoing, laid-back bittering. Worth the effort to try it out. I know cask is delicious too!

4.62/5  rDev +19.7%

12/23/04- On tap at the Toronado in San Francisco, CA

Presentation- Served in a random pint glass.

Appearance- Small 1/2 inch head, cloudy apricot pour and decent lacing.

Smell- Lovely hops o'plenty fill the air. A bunch of grapefruit in the face.

Taste- Very comparable to El Toro IPA except just a tad less in your face. But, that could be a good thing also. Much fruity hopped goodness.

Mouthfeel- I thought this was on cask because it was so lightly carbonated. About as perfect as one can get.

Drinkability- Ranks right up there as one of my top IPA's. Damn good brew. Will have several more in my future since the bar that brews it is right down the street from the Toronado. Score one for Magnolia.

4.56/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of my favs when it comes to IPA's. I remember smelling this beer when it was sat down in front of me, and that was without putting the glass to my nose. If you like hops, you'll like this. It is overloaded with hops, but very very tasty. This is a must if you are in SF / Haight St.

4.56/5  rDev +18.1%

4.54/5  rDev +17.6%

Since this brew checks in at 100 ibu's I guess it should be a double IPA. All I know is that I loved it! First it was on the house thanks to a nice bartender that could tell I was enjoying their pub. Second, it was cask conditioned. Need I say more?
Color was a medium amber, head retention was excellent though once again lacing was not that prevalent. What an outstanding aromatic brew! A hop field right under your nose. Taste profile was riddled with grapefruit notes, even some orange peel was detected. Very long lingering complex finish. Very smooth creamy mouthfeel, drinkability is right on. I love cask and I loved this beer.

4.54/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Sampled off the cask at the brewpub out of a imperial tulip pint.

Great grassy hop aroma with a soft brown and caramel malty touch with a barely there head.

Flavor follows through with a soft malt flavor quickly subdued with a grassy English hop.

Top notch finish and a grand beer that is easily drinkable and well made for sipping again and again on the comfortable bar stools of the magnolia pub.

4.47/5  rDev +15.8%

4.42/5  rDev +14.5%

A - Golden amber color, slightly cloudy. Decent head that lingers into lacing that sticks around.

S - Citrus, floral scents, maybe a touch of pine. Nice bouquet, strong smelling.

T - Well balanced taste. Hops are very evident yet the malt mellows it out. The cask aging really smooths out the taste as well.

M - Really smooth IPA. I could drink these all day.

D - Very drinkable, smooth character. Had three before I realize it!

4.41/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Great hoppy high alcohol IPA. Had draft at cliff house

4.4/5  rDev +14%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.37/5  rDev +13.2%

Haven't had this beer in some time and was overjoyed to see it at the Oregon Beer Festival. This is a very hoppy IPA, but is also very different from the hop monsters you see here in Oregon. There was less of the citrus and pine smell, and more of a nutmeg, cinnamon and alspice nose. I assume that Magnolia must use a different blend of hops then what I normally see around here; no matter, it was a fabulous hoppy beer none-the-less. I was a bit surprised to see the IBU at 100, for while this beer was quite hoppy, it was nicely balanced with malt and didn't come across as over the top by any means. It didn't taste anywhere near as hoppy as the Pliny or Green Mamouth at the festival. This beer is very drinkable, and I could easily see myself knocking back 2 or 3 pints before I even realized they were gone.

One more reason to stop by for a visit next time I'm down for the Far Side 10K.

4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

I tried this last week and found it to be one of the best Cask IPAs I've ever had.
The hops are right there start to finish and it is very drinkable. It was quite balanced though inspite of the hops. I quit after 2 as I had to drive and had never been to SF before.
Just wished I didn't live 2500 miles away because I sure would go back often.

4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

Golden amber with a thick creamy off-white head that appears to be going nowhere. Smells like a hop bouquet. Much more pronounced than the non-cask version. Casking really mellowed this beer. It's much higher on the drinkability scale due to it's smoothness. Still it has that great lingering hop profile, just not the same "bite" to it.

Overall: I enjoyed this change to the normal proving ground, but I'll probably stick to the original.

4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

This arrived as a cloudy off-gold color with huge bubbles but not very many of them. The lacing is evident but nothing special.

The smell is subdued for a beer with this much flavor, although I like the way it's not a simple grapefruit punch in the nose. The taste is great. I can't believe how many hops are in here without disrupting the balance of the flavor. It's not particularly heavy, either. I guess it's just an amazing blend of hops or something, because every last drop of bitterness makes its presence known but none of them are the least bit unsettling.

4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

Pours a glowing copper in color. Creamy white head that leaves ringed lacing down the glass' sides.

Piney, oily, citric and floral hop aromas. Clean hop oils that aren't the least bit astringent in aroma.

Temperature of the hand pulled pint was slightly cooler than room temperature. Bright flavored floral hops with tones of pine, resin, and lemon. The bitterness is intense, but light and clean tasting. Pear, apricot, and pine fill the aftertaste.

Medium bodied; the hop intensity makes for an oily, juicy feel on the palate.

A great tasting IPA. The smoothness and textural aspect of this cask conditioned offering, makes my mouth water for another pint.

4.32/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Cloudy honey colored body with no head or lacing

Smell: All cascade hops on the nose

Taste: Hops, hops and more hops, with a little bit of sweet malt balance on the finish - what would you expect with 100 IBUs

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a nice bit of carbonation

Drinkability: Despite the overwhelming bitterness, a quite refreshing brew

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Proving Ground IPA from Magnolia Pub & Brewery