Heady Topper | The Alchemist Brewery and Visitors Center

The Alchemist Brewery and Visitors Center
Vermont, United States
alchemistbeer.com

Style: New England IPA

An American Double IPA. Drink from the can.

Added by scottum on 03-27-2004

#6

Ratings: 14,421 |  Reviews: 2,512

4.73/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.99/5  rDev +5.9%

4.13/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.18/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

16OZ can @Coals/NY
Not Bad at all. But,,,. felt  as if "Old school type" NEIPA.
1st sip left me strong alcohol on the palate.
Slightly strong bitterness insist existence before fruity and juicy notes.

4.12/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.65/5  rDev -1.3%

4.33/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.42/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.35/5  rDev -7.6%

16 oz about 2 yo can. Pours deep golden with tall, long lasting, fluffy white head and lively carbonation. Aroma is of citrusy hops, bready malt and ripe fruit. Body is full and crisp. Herbal, citrusy hops dominate the palate with bready malt and tropical fruit in the background. Finish is long and very hoppy. I liked the brew this mellow. Fresh one probably would be too hoppy for me.

My personal favorite beer to date. When I had my first can I was surprisingly disappointed. Living in Michigan I had tried many New England IPA's in the past couple years and I had enjoyed lots of them with some being super bug juice bombs like the beers from old nation. I had decided to go to Vermont for some snowboarding at store and to also visit the alchemist and bring some nice cases back! I had brought my expectations up very high for this beer and couldn't wait to try my first heady topper. When I took my first sip I guess I was expecting too much and just seemed like it was another good beer nothing to blow your mind about. But as I continued to sip it the flavors began to reveal themselves and by my 3rd heady topper I was hooked and in awe of the quality of beer I was getting and still to this day every time I drink a heady topper I'm blown away with every sip! (On a side note I have recently tried many of tree houses beers and still am most impressed with heady topper)

Lucked out and got a leftover can from a NYE event at a Boston restaurant and it lived up to the hype. Drank from the can, so I didn’t get to see the color, but the taste and smell were both a 5. A solid Double IPA, just the right amount of hoppiness and bitterness while still being smooth.

4.24/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.94/5  rDev +4.9%

looked forward to trying this beer for a long time and it did not disappoint. i was afraid the beer would not meet the hype, but it actually surpassed it. i followed orders and drank from the can so my look score is an educated guess. ive had several great beers in this style and HT is by far the best. it has a wonderful mouthfeel and an equally wonderful aroma. in my opinion its the standard for this style. a classic. it definitely deserves its high ranking!

4.9/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

4.2/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Very good, but a little overrated. Here goes:

A: Cloudy yellow. Pours a large head, however, and leaves great lacing. Very, very fluffy head.

S: Very pungent. Grassiness pervades the scent - lots of flowers in this. Also lots of lemon peel, some orange, and grapefruit.

T: Good, but somewhat vegetal. It's very, very grassy - the hops are really overwhelming. Floral flavors combine with lemon and grapefruit. However, while the floralness of this beer is quite overpowering, but it's still somewhat nice.

F: Not as soft as other Vermont beers, but still great.

O: A good beer, but somewhat overrated.

4.56/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Moderate haze, white head, yellow orange. Nice hoppy, citrus smell that’s hard to beat. Nice sharp bitter taste that hits the spot up front

4.32/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.24/5  rDev -10%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.29/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Finally, I got my hands on one of the beers I’ve wanted to try for years. And guess what? It’s good, but I would have been head over heels had I tried it three years ago.

Look: hazy, bright orange.

Aroma: pungent hops, acidic citrus and funky dank hops.

Taste: follows nose—pungent, sharp hops with lots of citrus rind flavors. Bitter but balanced—definitely a dank, funkiness which is distinct and good. On the finish it cleans up and ends dry with some lingering hop oils.

Mouthfeel: heavy and wet, tingly, but ends medium/dry.

Overall: really distinct flavors that remind me of a mix between NEIPA and Belching Beaver’s style IPAs such as Hop Highway or Phantom Bride.

Glad I tried it and I have several cans left. I’ll enjoy it but I won’t be seeking it out and paying the $6 per pint can price. There are too many other great beers that abound...but still a great hazy DIPA!

Heady Topper from The Alchemist Brewery and Visitors Center