Heady Topper | The Alchemist Brewery and Visitors Center

The Alchemist Brewery and Visitors Center
Vermont, United States
alchemistbeer.com

Style: New England IPA

An American Double IPA. Drink from the can.

Added by scottum on 03-27-2004

#6

Ratings: 14,277 |  Reviews: 2,484

1.21/5  rDev -74.3%

1.45/5  rDev -69.2%

Honestly, I have either received two of the worst cans in the history of mankind, possibly infected, who knows but let's be honest, I tried this once before Sip of Sunshine and Once the following day after drinking Sip of Sunshine. The absolute worst double IPA I have ever had, and this is my favorite style!

Hops are barely existent, there is an inherent smoothness to the beer but it tastes of wet cigarettes. I wish I could say better things, but it almost tastes like a homebew that was not properly sanitized. But two cans from a two week old batch? What in the world. Now Sip of Sunshine from Lawsons was incredible, but this, not a chance. just awful.

1.65/5  rDev -65%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

I live in Vermont and have had Heady Topper many times, mostly when its the only thing to drink at a party. I remember the first time, I gagged and I thought that someone had given me a beer and spiked it with fresh cut grass clippings. I know I'm in the minority up here but I'm tried of all the craft breweries trying to cram as many hops as they can into a can of beer.

2.06/5  rDev -56.3%

This legendary eastern ipa is what inspired my signing up to ba to launch this bashing..err review. I like Maine beers, I like knee deep beers, i like mosaic hops. Honestly I was ecstatic when my buddy brought home a plethora of alchemist beers. Focal banger should be right up my alley but its so over the top i have to blend it but when i do i still enjoy big mosaic hops. Heady is just foul. I realize my opinion is an outlier but when I tell you I struggled to finish a can (ipa drinking wife included) Im very serious. I had it on 2 occasions to cement my feelings on it and they are this beer is soooooooooooooooo overrated I'm in awe of how lousy it was for me, really nothing redeeming to say other than at 8%abv if you can hold your nose and slam a few of these i guess you'll be in a happy place but i can give you myriad other options to better get you there.

2.11/5  rDev -55.2%

2.3/5  rDev -51.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

2.4/5  rDev -49%

highly overrated...try JVP (Joseph Vincent Paterno) instead of this

2.44/5  rDev -48.2%

Overrated. Ommegang's Nirvana and Long Trail's Limbo are much better IPAs and they don't require you to drink them "in the can" to taste good.

2.56/5  rDev -45.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Murkiest beer I've ever poured. I can see why they want you to drink from the can.
Smells of a used dirty ashtray. Not pleasant.
Taste is on par with most mediocre DIPA's as well as mouthfeel.
So many amazing beers out there, no way this should be rated best beer.

2.6/5  rDev -44.8%

2.65/5  rDev -43.7%

Let me begin with a precursor: I've had Heady on several occasions, my first being almost four years ago. I'm writing this review because this batch from early February when I purchased a case is simply a shell of its former self and must have something wrong with it (and not because it's been 3 months since it was canned; because it tasted the same right after I bought it and it's been refrigerated ever since and should still be plenty drinkable at this stage). Cracking a can brings an overwhelming smell and subsequent taste of peanut butter, peanut oil and peanuts. As I am not a homebrewer, though I work in beer retail, I do not know how to pinpoint this off-flavor/smell (i.e. diacetyl), but it is certainly not the Heady that blew my mind when I first had it four years ago. My main motivation in writing this review is to alert others to the possibility that clearly not all batches of Heady are created equal now. If this can be chalked up to mishandling (exposure to heat), and is not a fault of The Alchemist, I would certainly understand. But as I purchased this case in the midst of a bone-chilling winter, I find that possibility not very plausible. And don't get me wrong; this is not intended to throw The Alchemist, John and Jen or their staff under the bus. They are working tirelessly to bring this beer to the masses of VT, the U.S., and now--yes--the world. Hopefully this is simply an anomaly and their quality control only improves with further batches, yet now with their increased production and the new Stowe facility, this may only become more difficult in the future. As a die-hard craft drinker and one who knows where Heady belongs in the upper echelon of DIPAs, I hope this does not prove to be the case.

2.65/5  rDev -43.7%

Horribly overrated...The best thing in Stowe VT is the skiing not this beer

2.73/5  rDev -42%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Wow - given 100 score on BA was expecting so much more, just an avg+ 2×IPA for me. Will try again, certainly not bad though.

2.78/5  rDev -41%

2.85/5  rDev -39.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Sorry guys, the smell was good but I just do not like IPAs. I need some other flavor and after taste besides bitter hops. It wasnt smooth at all. ABV isnt noticeable though.

Heady Topper from The Alchemist Brewery and Visitors Center