Heady Topper | The Alchemist Brewery and Visitors Center

The Alchemist Brewery and Visitors Center
Vermont, United States
alchemistbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% ABV. "Drink from the can."

Added by scottum on 03-27-2004

#2

Ratings: 14,070 |  Reviews: 2,455

4.5/5  rDev -4.7%

I have had 3 batches of the canned heady topper, the first was great, the third was great, but the second batch i had canned sometime in mid november was absolutely sublime.

the beer poursed a golden yellow color with orange hues and a 2 finger head that lasted a long time. the smell was huge citrus and piney hops with a subtle malt hint in the background. the flavors coming forth were huge grapefruit citrus and bitter piney hops in the finish with barely a trace of the malts in the nose. there was high carbonation with a dry light mouthfeel that left the mouth almost watering for more. huge bitterness that almost bit the tounge. overall this batch was the best ipa i have ever had, although when averaging out the batches of head i have had i like double sunshine and abner more. wish i had drank more of this batch and extra'd and traded less.

4.5/5  rDev -4.7%

16 oz. can brought straight from the brewery. Drank first half from the can as per the instructions and then second half I had to pour into my dogfish snifter to take a look at this great brew.

A: Pours a hazy, particle filled, reddish-orange with a thick white head that slowly retracts to a couple centimeters. Leaves a ton of lacing as sipped down.

S: The nose on this is incredible. Tropical fruits, oranges, grapefruit, and resiny hop aromas dominate the nose. Insane citrus nose.

T: Hoppy and complex, citrus and tropical hops stand out right away and are nice complemented with good bitter piney and resin hops, nice malt backbone.

M: Smooth, medium body, a little creamy.

O: This lived up to the hype. My second favorite IPA behind Pliny. I'm glad I will be making another ski trip to Stowe so I can pick up another case of this amazing brew.

4.59/5  rDev -2.8%

Can poured into a couple Spaten glasses. Thanks so much to Azdback for sharing this with me!

The head is about 1 and a half fingers, slightly off-white, and creamy. Fades down but has really nice sticky lacing and leftover 'foamyness.' The color of the beer is a cloudy bright orange with some sediment floating around (not much though).

The aroma is REALLY nice! Fresh bright citrus fruits, blood orange, pungent grapefruit, tangerine, mango, just a plethora of those types of aromas, along with piney, bitter, leafy hops. Really great smelling!

The taste is really quite similar and very nice. Fresh citrus, blood orange, and really overripe citrus flavors, tropical fruits, grapefruit, mango, and maybe passionfruit, along with some bitterness and piney, wet, and hop cone flavors.

Mouthfeel is nice and creamy, almost luscious. Nice creamy consistency, medium carbonation, body is medium (maybe closer to the lighter side), and the finish is nice and light and dry. Superbly drinkable!

Overall this is a really damn good beer. I'm not quite sure where I rank it amongst my top DIPAs but actually I get to have a bottle of Pliny and can of Abrasive right after this haha. And after having all three, I honestly can't pick a favorite. I'd give Pliny the edge when on tap, super fresh bottle, or fresh growler. But Pliny really does seem to drop off after 2 weeks. If I had to rank them from this tasting, I'd say Abrasive > Heady Topper > Pliny. Thanks again for sharing these, Paul!

4.55/5  rDev -3.6%

Cracked the can and poured into a glass. A nice orange color with lots of head and tons of shit floating in it. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the floaties but I certainly needed to deduct some points for that. I would normally just drink it from the can, as the can states, so it would not be an issue for me. This is a hop bomb, plain and simple. It is up there with the best of the best hop bombs. I love this beer and you will too.

4.8/5  rDev +1.7%

Received a 1 PINT can of this from mdvatab in a recent trade (fresh!). Poured from the silver can w/ the "Alchemist", HEADY TOPPER, & DRINK FROM THE CAN! all in black into a 16oz pint glass (but only half the can). Enjoyed the rest straight from the can so I could review half and enjoy "how it should be" the rest. Has 11020B2BB on the back but no sign of freshness date.

Aroma- Has the biggest citrus, piney hop aroma I've ever experience! Reminds me of a FFF brew. Grassy as well. Packed with more hops than can describe. Try for yourself!

Appearance- Pours a 3 finger, bubbly head that lasts for great time. Has a nice orange/reddish copper body with no haziness. Leaves suds down the glass (but only got to see what 1/2 a pint did).

Flavor- VERY fresh and perfect complexity. Mango and citrus hit the palate hard and then has a piney flavor. Sweet nectar, this thing rocks! Medium-High Bitterness and finishes rather sweet. Can't get enough...

Mouthfeel- Medium-Full Bodied, Medium-High Carbonation, Smooth, Pure sweetness, and then grapefruit actually came out on the ending, leaving the palate with pure pleasure.

Overall Impression- And this is why I was looking for this one for the past year! Unbelievable! Thanks for sharing Mark. Both drinking from the glass and the can were enjoyable but from the can was very fun! Intense, fruits like crazy, and great amount of hop all kept this one above many I've ever had. Will be looking for this again! HIGHLY recommend.

4.28/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This beer is magical. Had it brewery direct via a couple buddies just a few days after it was "canned". This is by far the best IIPA I have ever tasted. I'm sorry Pliny.

Grapefruits, citrus, pine, gummy bears. Mouthfeel was great and it was so refreshing. I refused to drink mine out of the can though.

Updated review. Older can than originally reviewed but only by a couple weeks. I get little of what I got the first time having it. Probably the 4th or 5th time I've had it now and it has been disappointing every time after the first.

Heady Topper from The Alchemist Brewery and Visitors Center