Heady Topper | The Alchemist Brewery and Visitors Center

The Alchemist Brewery and Visitors Center
Vermont, United States
alchemistbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% ABV. "Drink from the can."

Added by scottum on 03-27-2004

#3

Ratings: 13,739 |  Reviews: 2,409

4.95/5  rDev +4.9%

picked up a case of these gems over the weekend.

a: pours bright amber in color with a thick white head that sticks to the sides of the glass for an incredible amount of time. this beer has that perfect "drink me!!" look.

s: ridiculously strong citrus (grapefruit, tangerine) and floral hop aroma. you can smell this beer about a foot away from the glass. it's truly something amazing.

t: lives up to the hype. as promised on the side of the can, "wave after wave of hoppy goodness" overcome my senses. strong flavors of citrus and bitter pine. finishes extremely nicely, alcohol is well hidden. close to perfection.

m: exceptional mouthfeel.

lives up to the hype. better then pliny? yeah, maybe a little but they're both so delicious that i don't even care about that comparison. get this beer if you can!

4.67/5  rDev -1.1%

Thanks to loftis CT for the hookup!
pounder can served at cold temperature poured into a snifter.
The beer pours a hazy amber hue with lots of white particle sediment suspended and settling out as The beer rests. Bleached white head of 1 cm that fades to an edge layer and islands fairly quickly. Aroma is robust hop hits with pine sap and grapefruit rind, plus some grassy notes, but dominated by citrus notes.
First sip reveals an average body and silky smooth texture. The carbonation is fine and tingly.
Flavor is brief caramel and then all hops with grass, pine sap and some citrus notes mixing together nicely creating a complex hop profile not just overassertive bitterness. Very nice hop mix for a tasty and interesting beer, I was slightly doubtful after so much hype, but this beer lived up to the stories told about it. A nice American double IPA.

4.83/5  rDev +2.3%

A- Thick, creamy looking body and a super sticky head. Long long long lasting retention, beautiful two fingers developed easy from the pour into my glass. Tons of singular bubbles give me the hope of a crisp tall drank. The perfect lacing... its been a long time since I've seen a work of art such as this. This deep amber, almost like a warmed caramel coloration does tons for me.

S- Tons of tangerine and mango notes. Very very tropical. There is a nice layer in the background of grass. Gentle, grapefruit and a bed of vegetation. Not flowery, but fruity strands of hay.

T- Big burst of tropical flavors! Its like a creamy extravaganza of Caribbean woman hurtling every kind of fruit they can find into my orifice. I'm hit with pineapple, mango, tangerine, oranges, grapefruit, lemon rind. Repeat experiences hit me with caramels, light biscuit, bitter pine fronds, and something light but mistaken. I can't put my tongue on it but its different, haven't encountered it too often... I think its a guava persimmon hybrid with memories of peaches. Its unreal!

M- Creamy, super creamy. Thick, almost syrupy. Velvety smooth, crisp openings and crisp pine finish give this the balance it needs for such a big beer. Carbonation definitely doesn't last as long up front as I was led to believe. At 8% you'd have fooled me with a 5.5% tag. Very sticky, layers of soft evaporated beer tickle my peach fuzzed lips and cracks of my mouth.

I've said it many times, Heady Topper sucks big donkey dick. And now I must eat my words. What a nigh on perfect beer.

4.25/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev -4.7%