Heady Topper | The Alchemist Brewery and Visitors Center

Heady TopperHeady Topper

The Alchemist Brewery and Visitors Center
Vermont, United States

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% ABV. "Drink from the can."

Added by scottum on 03-27-2004

Ratings: 13,954 |  Reviews: 2,432

4.5/5  rDev -4.7%

4.25/5  rDev -10%

4.5/5  rDev -4.7%

4.87/5  rDev +3.2%

A: straight out of the can and if this were a woman, I would be in trouble for saying that this is one nice can. Cheesy joke for you guys!
S: peach, apricot, pineapple, sweet caramel, and grapefruit
T: just as the nose indicates there are very peachy notes with grapefruit and mango. Weird that I may be able to taste coconut too?
M: moderately bodied yet tingles the tongue with sweet caramel and then dries the tongue with bitterness yet makes you crave for more heady topper!
O: my can was a few months old and I can only imagine how great this beer would taste fresh! I love this stuff and want more!

4.12/5  rDev -12.7%

A: Pours a very hazy light apricot/peach color. One of the cloudiest IPA's i've seen. Definitely unfiltered. The head is thin and pretty white.

S: Huge nose on this beer. Tons of tropical fruit. Mango,tangerine and peach. One of the best smelling beers ive encountered.

T: Taste is like the nose. Tropical citrus. Fresh, super fresh grapefruit. The Grapefruit shows up on the finish and makes this beer finish extremely dry and bitter.

M: Medium bodied with nice carbonation and extremely dry.

Overall: I was a bit disappointed with Heady Topper. I've heard PTE comparisons and i really didn't get that. I think the main fault with this beer is the bitterness is way over the top. DOn't get me wrong, it's an awesome beer. I just wouldn't put it in my personal top 10 list of IPA's or DIPA's.
I am glad i got to try it.

4.47/5  rDev -5.3%

16 oz can pour straight into the mouth. Thanks go to Funkel81 for this generous extra in a recent trade.

No pour here, since I decided to follow the directions on the can and sip straight from it! We’ll skip right to the nose. The aroma is lush with bright smelling hop character, as pine and bitter smelling grapefruit are funneled up the nose. There are some leafy herbal tones and tropical fruit notes here as well, along with some spiciness, and a firm malt sweetness across the back that gives the hops something to bounce off of. This is full and bright feeling in the nose.

The taste has a fresh feeling vibrancy to it, with a blast of grapefruit and sticky resinous hops. This is tempered on the edges by a ripe and juicy tropical fruitiness and a sweet malt character that almost honestly seems like an afterthought compared to the bulk of this hop onslaught. The finish is dry and piney with some lingering bitter pith that sticks to the tongue. This has quite the aggressive finish on it. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, maybe a little fuller, with a big creamy crispness to it that blows up in the mouth. Some slick and oily textures weave in and out with this, really keeping things overall smooth for 8% ABV. There is some gentle warmth to the body that mostly adds some extra boldness to those hop flavors.

This is my third different time reviewing this beer and it still holds up even here in packaged form. I still feel that it shows just a tad too much alcohol to really go the full monty on the style for me but there is no doubt that this is a DAMN great DIPA. The fact that this beer is now available in cans is just mind-boggling to me. I see many more of these in my future.

Heady Topper from The Alchemist Brewery and Visitors Center