Heady Topper | The Alchemist Brewery and Visitors Center

The Alchemist Brewery and Visitors Center
Vermont, United States
alchemistbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% ABV. "Drink from the can."

Added by scottum on 03-27-2004

#4
Liked:
4.72/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 13,531 |  Reviews: 2,388
4.03/5  rDev -14.6%

On tap at The Alchemist on the release date, 12/4/10. Poured into a Heady Topper pint glass.

A: Served with one of the thickest heads on any beer ever. A 1.5 finger white sponge of a top that never seems to dissipate and only regenerates after every sip. Beer is a cloudy, unfiltered, grapefruit-orange. Lacing is spotty and weblike with decent stick.

S: Nose is tropical and hoppy. Mango, pineapple, citrus, grapefruit, and cane sugar. Piney hops predominate and there's a well recognized resiny hop character lingering in the background.

T: The first sip tells me that this is a west coast style IIPA being made in the east. Citrus and piney hop bitterness upfront with a slight lingering cane sugar malt backbone in the back. Bitterness builds and builds through the experience. Notes of resiny hops towards the middle and end. Sticky and hoppy at the finish with a slight tropical pineapple flavor. Bitterness coasts the cheeks and tongue and builds with each successive sip.

M: Medium bodied and lightly carbonated. Real smooth and subtle in the mouth with just a touch of bubbles going down. Substantial. Finish is sticky and oily. Aftertastes lingers on and on.

D: I never expected this one to blow me away and it doesn't. That being said, it's still a very very good beer and a solid representation of the west coast style IIPA. Bitter and hoppy without being too overwhelming. Very enjoyable and now that they'll can it some time in the future, go out and get some!

On tap @ The Alchemist..

Two half pints arrive at the table, hop aromas literally fill the air. Heady is so wonderfully pungent I might have been able to smell the waiter coming. Fat juicy hops fill my nose, no malt is detectable.

Hop dominance carries right into the taste. Heady is unique in that it comes off as juicy, citrusy, bitter, grassy, and earthy...all at once. Flavors bounce around with vigor, so incredibly vibrant. Think layers of differing hop profiles to explore, all presented perfectly. Mouthfeel is right on the mark as well; a silky "medium", well carbonated. Drinkability is off the charts for a beer with so much flavor. I finially found an IPA that I enjoy more than Pliny, my previous favorite.

Get to The Alchemist, try this beer, period.

4.72/5  rDev 0%

A: pours an orangeish hazy color witha finger high head that leaves an amazing lacing

S: get a huge smeel of citrus hops mixed in with some flora hops

T: the taste is like the smell the citrus hops shine threw. it's an amazing taste. it has the hop taste without the overwelming bitterness.

M: medium body with a good amount of carbnation

D: this is a very easy drinking beer. it goes down easy .

4.79/5  rDev +1.5%

Drank on-tap at The Alchemist, Waterbury, VT
Served in a mini-pilsner glass

The beer poured a hazy, burnished yellow color with a creamy, bright white, one-finger head that slowly faded to a persistent ring of froth. Small blocks of lacing stuck along the sides of the glass, lasting long after the beer was finished.

The aroma was possibly the best I have ever experienced in a double IPA. Hoppy and amazingly potent. Semi-sweet. Super peachy with loads of apricot and citrus. Orange peel came through strong. Some tropical fruits were noticeable as well.

Flavorwise, this beer was nearly flawless. Super hoppy with just enough malt balance to keep things in check. Citrus notes dominated. Peaches and apricots came through strong. Mango and pineapple notes were also quite apparent. Somewhat tart and lemony in the center. The finish was slightly piney. Crisp and semi-dry. All in all, fantastic.

The mouthfeel was slick, creamy and smooth with a fine moderate effervescence. The only thing that kept this beer from earning a perfect score was its slightly thinner that expected body.

Although this DIPA was packed to the brim with hops, it was still balanced and drinkable. The 8% ABV was also remarkably well masked by the complex hop profile.

Many have compared this beer to the almighty Pliny the Younger. I wholeheartedly agree with this comparison. Heady Topper is for certain one of the greatest beers I have ever had the pleasure to try.

4.92/5  rDev +4.2%

Had on tap at the brewery this past Thursday. I do not normally give out 5's but I must say this is quite honestly the tastiest beer I have ever had.

A: Pours a hazy light orangish yellow color. Provides a small off white foam head with sufficient lacing.

S: Hops! Lots of citrus hops hit the nose first. There is also some small amounts of bread and caramel malt scents.

T: This is quite possible the best beer I have ever tasted. Lots of citrus hop flavors up front, also some pine. The middle and back end also have tons of delicious hops but there is some caramel, bread and toast that mellows and blends the beer nicely. This beer is extremely hoppy but it also has good malt character tha balances the beer.

M: Nice medium bodied beer. It is bitter but also creamy. Absolutely tasty!

D: They say 8% abv but honestly, I could 'session' this beer. It is absolutely fantastic. One of if not the best beer I have had. Truly amazing and if you can get it fresh, get it!!

4.72/5  rDev 0%

Had this on cask tonight at the Alchemist with beerloco who is now snoring like a maniac on a motel room floor because the stupid owner gave our room with 2 beds away to somebody else...note he is passed out while I'm currently drinking a Foothills Baltic Porter :)

Appearance: Pours a cloudy fender vintage sunburst orange to amber with radiant honey streaks and a 3 finger off white hop tinged crown that displays good retention and lace.

Smell: Loads of fresh hoppy goodness. A bit less bitterness than the tap version but much stronger notes of orange, grapefruit, and grassy herbs.

Taste: Same as nose but with the tiniest supporting bit of caramel malt.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with soft carbonation.

Drinkability: So sessionable for a big DIPA.

4.6/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

From 08/28/10 notes. Had on tap at the Alchemist on my trip up to Vermont. Review number 600!

a - Pours a golden color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells very heavily of pine hops; very dominating. Also smells of citrus hops, grape fruit, tropical fruit, and faint, sweet fruity malts. Hint of floral hops. A very nice mix of pine and fruit in the smell.

t - Tastes of citrus and grapefruit, fruity malts, pine hops,and a hint of floral hops. Some nice bitterness in the initial sips that fades as you drink it.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation, very easy to drink.

d - Overall, I thought this was a great DIPA. I was a little worried it wouldn't live up to the hype, but it pretty much did. Personally I think I might rank HopSlam and PTE a bit higher, but this is a great IPA I would love to have again. I got a lot of pine in the smell and a nice mix of fruit and pine in the smell and taste, and I thought it was really easy to drink at 8% ABV. If I was up in Vermont again, I would definitely go back to the Alchemist for this beer.

4.48/5  rDev -5.1%

It's a slightly cloudy.gold beauty, topped by 2 fingers of pure white head. Crazy lace on the glass.

The aroma is neutral sweet beautifully mixed citrus and floral, bitter pith, and a nice hint of maltiness. It is not the strongest bouquet, but its extremely fresh hop flavors set my mouth to salivating.

What a perfection of hop goodness in this baby! It starts sweet, then goes grapefruit, sweet lemon, sweet orange, hints of herbally floral in the background. The finish is a mindfuck. Slowly the floral and herbal hints morph into a progressively more dry pure citrus pith bitter that never scrapes the tongue, and increasingly blows the mind as the finish just cleanly hangs to the palate, just sweetly enough. Rare is the beer that gets better and better through every sip, but this one does. Pliny's a touch more complex, that's why the 4.5 score not 5.

Mouthfeel is lighter side of medium body for the style, how I like it, low carb.-just right, and a legendary finish.

This beer drinks so easily rating it is a snap, there isn't, wasn't, never will be a IIPA this finely hopped that is this easy to drink.

Impression: If I had both fesh PTE and fresh Heady Topper side by side, I'm not sure which I'd reach for first. This is a must try, to say the least.

4.44/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

A- Opaque apricot, very little head but it might be the pour. Kind of looks like a hefeweizen. Web like lacing. Okay.

S- Sweet marmalade/apricot spread. Smells very good but I was expecting a hoppy explosion. Alcohol almost undetectable. Really sweet.

T- I'm really trying to figure out what I'm tasting, but I'm pretty sure it's mango peach juice. Great tasting bitterness. I don't know what to say really. It's veeeerry tasty. A bit of yeast in the end.

M- Smooth, medium to low carbonation which is just right. Not very dry. A little thin but it's really not a problem...it might actually be a good thing.

D- High, very high. 8%? Where? This drinks like juice.

Great beer. Would love to have access to it back home.

4.82/5  rDev +2.1%

I'm very glad I kept tabs on the reviews for Heady Topper so I knew when it was available again. A nearly 3-hour trip to the brewpub on a Sunday...

Hazy bright orange with a small white head. Turns to a swirly cap and ring and leaves some lacing. But it only got better from here.

Smell is very great and fruity. Tons of citrus, tangerine, tropical notes, grapefruit, but it does seem to fade quickly over time.

Taste exceeds the smell, easily. Still tons of hoppy citrus, tangerine and tropical notes. Warm biscuity malt and a little bit of earth, everything is balanced perfectly. Reminds me of PtE but the fruit is much more present. Aftertaste is amazing, lingers long after it's gone. The second glass was even better than the first, just excellent.

Along with the balance, the bitterness and carbonation are absolutely perfect. Drinkability is through the roof, 12 oz for $4 for the best DIPA I have had.

4.85/5  rDev +2.8%

Hunted the Heady Topper, found out it was on tap, 2.75 hours and $4 later...

A- Hazy orange with a nice one finger white head. Retains but I drink it down out of anticipation. The head leaves a nice cloud, ring and very nice coat of fine lace.

S- Just where a Double IPA should be, reminds me of Sculpin. Fruit, citrus, peach. Such a good hop aroma, does not seem over the top, spot on. Hops glorified. Strength could be just a bit better.

T- Follows up the aroma. Hops everywhere. Peach, pine, earthy and lots of citrus. The best thing is the citrus, it lingers like a fresh fruit on the palate, orange. Perfect balance of hops with a fairly bready light malt backbone.

MF- Spot on again. Moderate body with some creaminess and smooth carbonation. Bitterness is right down the middle, where it should be.

DB- The best draft I have ever had for four dollars. Beats Pliny out in my mind. A truly great balance of many hop flavors, mouthfeel and citrus. I hope the Alchemist sticks to its ways and makes great beer like this for many years.

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Was lucky to have a weekend trip up to Stowe, VT planned when Heady was tapped. Settled in for two.

A- Heady looks gorgeous. Cloudy, and a crazy greenish/hazy/yellow color that was invented with the first tapping of this beer. Beautiful head that holds up well.

S- Strong... the hops bite the nose right off the bat.

T- Sweet lord, this is delicious. Hops and more hops, and quite citrusy as well. Starts strong, and finishes clean without too much lingering bitterness.

M- Chewable, if that makes sense. Heady is impossibly dense for how refreshing it is. Unexplainable.

D- Once the shock of the first sip or two wears off, these babies go down nicely. I wish I had opted for a third.

Revisit 10/26/14
My initial review (from the tap at the restaurant) was all 5s. Unfortunately, after drinking the canned Heady many times over the past few years, I can say this beer has finally fallen off a bit. The most recent batch I sampled had a muted profile, with a heavier booziness and milder citrus flavor. The old wallop of flavor has become more of a jab. It's still delicious, it just isn't quite the same beer, and certainly isn't "perfect" any longer. Perhaps I will get a particularly good batch at some point in the future, but my days of running around trying to find Heady are over, if the quality indeed does vary batch to batch.

4.68/5  rDev -0.8%

Finally made the long trek up here to be able to taste it in person. Reviewed from notes after my trip, I am finally getting around to getting these all caught up. Served in a pint glass.

The pour was what dreams are made of. All big IPA's should look this way. Seriously. Intense dark amber in color, nearly brown when all is said and done as it really just was darker then I ever would have thought. Big head of white caps it perfectly, two to three inches in height with a rocky and cratered appearance that really seem to hang on forever. Really just a tremendous looking beer I have to admit. The lacing coating the sides alone is enough to make you quiver, but then you decide to reach forward and try and take a big whiff, and that's when you will nearly fall over. It is just sublime. Huge citrus aroma here, tart and bitter as can be with pungent orange and pineapple mixing with the pink grapefruit aroma we come to expect in our big double IPA's. Huge nose, warming brings out a touch of butter malts underneath and a light, but discernable grain note. Each sip is like a step into hop heaven. Unreal freshness here. No hint of the ABV at all, in fact it was so smooth I could have sat here all day and drank this one, just remarkable. Rich orange and grapefruit tear at the taste buds, ripping every ounce of moisture from your palate and replacing it with a wonderful buttery flavor that is second to none. Smooth even carbonation and a rich medium body stacks it all up to being just a tremendous double IPA.

Overall I am just floored. I have been able to try this twice now and each time I am more impressed then before. Simply amazing and I wish more people would get to try this one. It can hold its own with any of the big boys any day of the week.

4.95/5  rDev +4.9%

A- pours a hazy golden color with a one finger white head which recedes into chunky, nearly opaque lacing on the glass.

S- huge notes of mango, pineapple, and citrus. Backnotes of caramel malts balance things out.

T- grapefruit, mango, orange rind, caramel.

M- medium viscosity with a full but soft carbonation.

D- I don't care about the national hype train this is the best dipa I've had and the includes pliny. The only thing I've had that's better than topper is topper on cask.

4.85/5  rDev +2.8%

My new favorite DIPA, if not my new favorite beer overall right now! Extremely lucky to have been in VT while this was tapped. Enjoyed multiple times after SIPtemberfest with BeerTruth on 9/26/09. Unfortunately, the cask was already gone.

The Alchemist is dimly lit so as to the color, I can not speak with entire authority, but it is definitely a bit on the hazy side, medium amber/orange.

Oh the smell! Sitting infront of the taps, we could smell it being poured and like Pavlov's pooches, salivation started. It's all hops right in your face, very citrus and grass, a touch sweet as well.

The first sip was like heaven in a glass. The body is not too heavy and the malts are there to stand up to the hops no doubt. The hops are so abundant though that it leaves a sticky residue in the mouth....mmmm. This never came off as an unbalanced hopbomb though! I got a touch of caramel from the malt, maybe a hint of roast as well. This is extremely smooth and creamy, no bitter hop face was made while enjoying this beer :)

Easily drank one of these, a good portion of another, and seriously had to order one of the 3oz samples before leaving just to get that final taste. If I wasn't driving to Waitsfield on dark route 100 right after I easily would have had two more. Easily. Get this while you can folks, it is indeed that good.

4.92/5  rDev +4.2%

So I am with my girlfriend and her mom touring around Vermont. We try to go to harpoon but it is closed on Mondays. Bummer. BA on the cell phone. This place looks good. GPS's timer is off by an hour. Sounds good let's make a trip of it.

A: Lighter than you would expect for a DIPA. The lacing was nothing short of amazing.

S: So that is what hops smell like. All those lovely Cs in a nice mix. There really was nothing else but goddamn those hops smelled nice.

T:Just a blast of citrus hops. Very nice and fresh tasting. The malt I guess was there but I ignored it. Up there with the hoppiest beers I have ever had.

M: A nice syrupy joy. Sticky mouthfeel.

D: I got a wild child and really loved it. Got this basically because my girlfriend wanted a taste. Thanks! Best DIPA I have had on tap by far. Damn their lack of growler fills. This beer is worth the hype. It I wasn't in the company I was in I would have reduced myself to a beast and lived behind the pub. Outstanding.

My last bier of the night (16APR09) with dinner... The Holey Moley having kicked, this was the one to satisfy my hop habit...

Listed at 8.20% now, my 12oz flute was filled with a flat, dull, apricot-colored liquid. It was a bit cloudy, with a creamy tan head and good stick. Nose was quite fruity, with citrus and hints of tropical action weighing in. Solid mouthfeel here; body was easily medium, and it felt quite good on the tongue.

Topper had a touch of toasty malt at the outset, with subtle caramel, then segues into lots of citrus and rindy-ness. Some grapefruity resins coat the palate, and last quite well in the finish. Not as robust in the hop department as Holey Moley, but quite tasty nonetheless. Prosit!!

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | drink: 4

4.5/5  rDev -4.7%

I had heard so much about this beer I finally decided I had to drive south to check it out. Off the tap it was a deep gold color leaning towards amber with some of its hues. The head was two-fingers thick, playground-sand-colored, displayed great retention as a perfectly tight cap and left consistent bands of thin lacing. The aroma was big and spicy, full of aggressive hops and a musty quality almost like armpit odor. I know that sounds awful but I was blown away by how much smell was emitting from this beer. The flavors were equally huge. A deep hop profile of pine, grapefruit and kumquat with some white pepper and similar spiciness was balanced nicely by the malt sweetness of toffee and butterscotch. The finish was again hoppy with edgy notes of bitter resin and some lemon zest. It was almost like a wet-hopped beer with the drinkability of good American Brown Ale because the alcohol was so well hidden. The mouthfeel was very smooth but the carbonation gave the right amount of 'fill' to its medium body. One of the best Vermont beers I have ever had and one of the best Imperial/Double IPAs I've ever come across.

Quite simply, it's the best beer I've ever had. I was privileged to be one of the first to try Heady Topper when it was introduced at the Vermont Brewer's Festival quite a few years back. After sampling about a dozen wonderful microbrews (in 3oz samples mind you, so I was still an objective critic), I stopped by the Alchemist tent & tried this new concoction.

I was immediately hit by a strong but delightful grapefruit flavor, quickly followed by a explosion of hops (the IBU rating is reported to be an insane 140+!). The mouthfeel was amazing & the aftertaste was perfection. My companions and I literally gave up on trying any other beers that night & just used the rest of our sample tickets on Heady Topper.

I'm blessed to live only about 45mins. away from the Alchemist brewery, which is unfortunately the only place you can find Heady Topper (I do respect their decision to not bottle as a quality control measure). I am planning a trip there this weekend & can't wait for a pint!

If you are able to make it to the Alchemist for a Heady Topper, do be warned---the alcohol content is over 10%, according to the brewer I spoke with.

4.8/5  rDev +1.7%

The Alchemist: Heady Topper, IIPA (Tasted 11/28/08)
Tap @ The Alchemist [Waterbury, VT] : Poured into a pilsner glass.

Appearance: Pours out orange with golden hues, puffy white head leaves sticky lace down the glass as the beer disappears
Odor: Sticky fresh-pressed pineapple juice, pine sap, dank dank nuggets with sweet floral aromas in the background.
Consistency: On the low end of medium bodied, slick and oily with a refreshing dryness in the finish. Carbonation is moderate to low.
Taste: Wowee. The beer is built on a simple, subtle and sturdy malt frame. Dashes of caramel here and there but not much else. Restrained fruity ester profile. Bitterness is certainly firm, but by no means aggressive, at most prickling the palate with some grapefruit/pine. Hop flavor is immense, echoing the diversity in the aroma. Finish is very clean and as dry it possibly could be for style, leaving a coating of bittersweet hop flavor all over my mouth.

This is a rarity on the East Coast. A well attenuated IPA with a unique, diverse hop character that you can drink all night long. It's a shame that the Alchemist doesn't do growlers so more people can try this beer.

4.5/5  rDev -4.7%

This beer poured a beautiful orange-blond color with lots of foam. Not the first cask ale I've had though. The aroma was strong and hoppy with hints of citrus. The taste started out strong and hoppy and faded into a nice citrusy bitterness. Well balanced for a DIPA and as their description says, very drinkable. Packs a wallop at 140IBUs.

4.2/5  rDev -11%

Had this on tap at the pub in early October.

This brew was served with a one fingered head. It was a cloudy golden amber with a nice lasting head Nose was very hoppy, with a grapefruit and pine sap overtone. Simcoe hops maybe? Taste was a nice blend of hops and malts. Mouthfeel is well balanced malt blending into a nice creamy hop finish.
Overall drinkability was very good as the high ABV was well hidden. This was worth the trip!

4.69/5  rDev -0.6%

Had more than one of these during our visit to the brewpub. Nice and orangey amber, I dove right in and picked up on an intriguing woody-earthy character in the aroma. There was also a nice new mown hay essence and candied hoppyness as well. That is a lot of excitement to live up to, but luckily, the beer delivered all of this in the taste as well. The earthiness was also pretty present in the finish. This is an excellent double IPA which will keep you ordering more. I can't say any more than that even at 8% abv...I still wanted to keep drinking. No taste fatigue or wobbliness in the legs after one. Nice beer.

3.97/5  rDev -15.9%

Had this bad boy more than once at the brewer's fest, but was salivating when I saw they had it on cask at the pub.

Appearance: Creamy, satiny smooth and lushious orange, with a burly head. It really was a heady topper!

Smell: Hop damn! Resinous, gooey cascade, piney, patchouli, weed and citrus.

Taste: Wicked bitter, but feels almost milky in the gullet (thank you mister cask!). An all-out hop attack, the malt can't do anything but surrender to this unstoppable force. The hops were so intense that I actually had my fill of it, and spent the rest of my weekend drinking lambics and other low-alpha acid brews. I loved it and will have it again, but not 2-3 pints in one session.

4.7/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appears a cloudy golden amber...looks unfiltered and super appealing with a frothy, bubbly 1 finger white head that lasts. Tons of huge, chunky bubbly lace...uhhhh, WOW.
Smell is of the hoppiest kind of orange citrus and grapefruit with pine sap.
Taste is of well blended hops with lots of resinous pine and sugar filled grapefruit saturating the palate.
Mouthfeel is well balanced kick ass malt rounding out the killer hops.
Drinkability...is this really 7.5%? Fuhget aboudit! This won't even feel like a 5%, it's so well hidden. I really wish I had gotten this on cask at the pub. Maybe next time.

Heady Topper from The Alchemist Brewery and Visitors Center