Heady Topper | The Alchemist Brewery and Visitors Center

The Alchemist Brewery and Visitors Center
Vermont, United States
alchemistbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% ABV. "Drink from the can."

Added by scottum on 03-27-2004

#4

Ratings: 14,228 |  Reviews: 2,475

4.55/5  rDev -3.4%

Cracked the can and poured into a glass. A nice orange color with lots of head and tons of shit floating in it. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the floaties but I certainly needed to deduct some points for that. I would normally just drink it from the can, as the can states, so it would not be an issue for me. This is a hop bomb, plain and simple. It is up there with the best of the best hop bombs. I love this beer and you will too.

4.8/5  rDev +1.9%

Received a 1 PINT can of this from mdvatab in a recent trade (fresh!). Poured from the silver can w/ the "Alchemist", HEADY TOPPER, & DRINK FROM THE CAN! all in black into a 16oz pint glass (but only half the can). Enjoyed the rest straight from the can so I could review half and enjoy "how it should be" the rest. Has 11020B2BB on the back but no sign of freshness date.

Aroma- Has the biggest citrus, piney hop aroma I've ever experience! Reminds me of a FFF brew. Grassy as well. Packed with more hops than can describe. Try for yourself!

Appearance- Pours a 3 finger, bubbly head that lasts for great time. Has a nice orange/reddish copper body with no haziness. Leaves suds down the glass (but only got to see what 1/2 a pint did).

Flavor- VERY fresh and perfect complexity. Mango and citrus hit the palate hard and then has a piney flavor. Sweet nectar, this thing rocks! Medium-High Bitterness and finishes rather sweet. Can't get enough...

Mouthfeel- Medium-Full Bodied, Medium-High Carbonation, Smooth, Pure sweetness, and then grapefruit actually came out on the ending, leaving the palate with pure pleasure.

Overall Impression- And this is why I was looking for this one for the past year! Unbelievable! Thanks for sharing Mark. Both drinking from the glass and the can were enjoyable but from the can was very fun! Intense, fruits like crazy, and great amount of hop all kept this one above many I've ever had. Will be looking for this again! HIGHLY recommend.

4.28/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This beer is magical. Had it brewery direct via a couple buddies just a few days after it was "canned". This is by far the best IIPA I have ever tasted. I'm sorry Pliny.

Grapefruits, citrus, pine, gummy bears. Mouthfeel was great and it was so refreshing. I refused to drink mine out of the can though.

Updated review. Older can than originally reviewed but only by a couple weeks. I get little of what I got the first time having it. Probably the 4th or 5th time I've had it now and it has been disappointing every time after the first.

4.52/5  rDev -4%

Thanks to tjkinate for this one. The infamous Heady Topper! Now I can say I've had the three best DIPAs out there (Heady, Abrasive, and PtE). Served from the can with a bit poured into my Darkness snifter for appearance.

Pours a vibrant, sunburst orange. Hazy, with a very dense, white head. Killer retention and some fine lacing.

Smell is of juicy hops. A lot of citrus and tropical fruits, with some pine and grass thrown in. Not much in the way of malt, and a touch of alcohol.

I love me these juicy hop bombs! Wonderful hop profile. Tropical fruits upfront meet with some dryer piney/grassy notes in the middle. Some bready malt keeps everything in check. A bit of alcohol rounds it all out. Super clean throughout.

This is where this brew really stands out. So smooth and surprisingly light on the pallet. Perfect carbonation. By no means overly bitter or sweet or dry; just perfect. Just as smooth as Pliny.

Overall this is truly a world-class DIPA, and a damn fine beer. I now know why this beer is alway mentioned in the top five for the style. It isn't as aggressive as Abrasive, but more so than Pliny. A must have to any hop-head. Cheers!

4.79/5  rDev +1.7%

Thanks to Jeff and Erik for sharing this one during the BA tasting in Utrecht. Had this one side-to-side with the Dreadnaught IPA
Look: the beer pours a golden-orange color with a nice white head
Smell: Citrus, grapefruit, other tropical fruits, freshly cut grass and pine. This is the best smelling IPA I ever had by far.
Taste: Lemon zest, mango, grass and intensively bitter, dry and piney aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Medium high carbonation, medium bodied.
Overall: By far the best IPA I ever had. This one, compared to most other IPAs, is not only smelling great, but has a perfect balance and doesn’t dry out the tongue. I never thought I would say this about an IPA, but can drink this any time of the day.

4.94/5  rDev +4.9%

A : Golden to amber color, large bubbles, some chill haze, some hop/protein coagulates, but if allowed to sit, you can decant most of this off if it bothers you (doesn’t bother me). Not much lacing or head retention.

S: Pine and citrus/orange hop aromas with some nice malt behind it. Complex aromas meld together really well. Great!

T: Wow! Hop bomb backed up by a great malt backbone, really nice mix of hop/malt flavors. Excellent bitter bite at the finish, just right. One of the best DIPAs out there.

M: Very “chewy” mouth feel, nice! Some warm alcohol finish.

O: Simple: one of the best DIPAs out there! While Pliny the Elder may have set the style, I think this beer takes it to a better place.

4.82/5  rDev +2.3%

I finally made the 3 hour drive to get some Heady Topper.
I'm going to drink some out of the can, as they suggest, and some out of a snifter, as I tend to prefer.

pouring half(ish) of the can into an oversized snifter gives a glowing golden orange body and a pure white head that is not too oversized, but sticks around and laces well.

tropical fruits slam my nose with tons of citrus, juicy and bitter, and some pine, lemon zest, some earthy/floral hops and some light malts. very aromatic.

tons and tons of resiny hop flavors with tropical fruits, juicy and bitter citrus, tons of pine, a good amount of bitterness, and a sweetness that comes in for a visit before it finishes resiny and bitter. (when I took a 1 ounce sample at the brewery, I tasted it the whole 3 hour drive home!) what a tasty, intense beer.

medium bodied and over-the-top resiny with just enough carbonation to add a prickly feel. it starts and ends as pure hop resin though.

oh my god. definitely meets the expectations. I'm glad I spent my Christmas money to buy an entire case. I was going to share a lot of it, but I have a feeling I'll be drinking a lot of this the next week!!! Happy new year to me!!!

Heady Topper from The Alchemist Brewery and Visitors Center