Rothaus Pils Tannen Zäpfle | Badische Staatsbrauerei Rothaus AG

rothaus.de

Style: German Pilsener

Added by inebrius on 04-08-2004

Go Germany!

Bold yellow liquid with a whipped splatter of white foam carelessly adhering to surfaces on top. Pure, cracked, sun-toasted grain aromas provide notes of pepper and lemon to brighten an image of sticky mash. Bitterness cracks open a mouthcoating expanse of bread and yellow fruit flavor. The texture is massive for a Pils, sharpened precisely with Novocaine-flavored tiny bubbles (reminds my of Ployez-Jacquemart NV Brut.) This is powerful, ruthlessly efficient beer. There is seemingly no end to the sun-flavored, bitter finish.

If I could drink only one beer for the rest of my life, without any hesitation, this would be it.

Perhaps the best pils I have ever had. It pours an incredibly pale yellow, and is as clear and bright of a beer you are ever going to see. Nice stable head, and a beautiful floral nose. The taste is fabulous - very crisp hop bite, but definitely not overpowering. Each one you have begs for another.

One of the better German pils I've had. Interesting bready, almost seaweed nose, straw taste but cleaner and crisper than most others. I'm not an expert on German beers, but this feels right. Clean finish. Grabbed a bottle on a whim at St. Gambrinus in Brookyn (along with some Trappist favorites) and glad I did. Worth seeking out.

I've been on a binge lately of good craft or small batch Pils and tried several different types. I'm new here so those reviews will come. This was recommended to me by a family member and locally it retails about $18 for a 6-pack, so on par with Innis & Gunn pricing. But, what you get is an amazing beer that is easy to drink and went surprisingly well with a cool crisp autumn evening. It has a great light golden color and a slight bite when you first taste it, but that is followed by smooth clean flavors of grass, herbs, and grain. You truly feel like you are drinking a well made pils made with the best ingredients. The gold foil is a nice touch and I love the labeling. This will continue to have a permanent home in my fridge by the case going forward.

Excellent beer ! I was very surprised after drinking this beer. And no headache after drinking 10 tannenzapfles :-)

There doesn't seem to be anything more simple and good than relaxing in an espresso-scented cafe watching Chelsea and Arsenal of the All-London Champions League battle it out while draining glasses of fresh Rothaus Pils mere kilometers from the source. Leave it to a Staatsbrauerei, or State-owned brewery, to make a beer of this quality. The people demand it! Reminiscent of another Staatsbrauerei just East of Baden. You might have heard of it. Weihenstephan.

I was lucky enough to have an abundant supply of the Pils within two flights of stairs at the lobby bar of the Central Hotel Schwenningen. Needless to say, I ended most of my evenings there, happily snorting the open rim of the glass, incessantly sip-sipping like some crazed beer fiend who found the mother-lode. I must have been a sight. Watching the puffy white cap form quick strata as the pale-gold liquid underneath rapidly vanished. I drank from one side only to ensure I could layer the glass completely and was always hesitant to give up my finished piece of art to the tender. I did though, every time, for a freshy, billowing odors of lemongrass and honey drenched sopapillas straight from the fryer, flavored by exquisitely balanced portions of creamy malted barley and spicy hops. A most drinkable beer that washes down a thumb of Kirschwasser or a Kebap equally well, yet can stand alone if the situation calls.

From Freiburg to Rottweil and all points in-between Rothaus is the bier to seek in Southern Baden. Prima!

4.98/5  rDev +23.3%

4.92/5  rDev +21.8%

4.88/5  rDev +20.8%

This beer is the real deal!! I grew up in the State of Baden-Wuerttemberg and got to love this beer. The Tannenzaepfle is the best example of a Southern German Pilsner. It comes in a 0.33l bottle is a beer like no other. It is brewed in the high mountains of the Black Forest with fresh spring water. The appearances is this of a true pils and the beer also maintains its head after pouring into a glass. The flavor is somewhere between bitter, fruity, etc. The hop bitterness of this beer is just right!
This is one of THE beer of the Southwestern part of Germany. Now also available outside Baden-Wuerttemberg because of the high demand, but the company is stays true to its region and maintains a very quality beer! This is one of those threats when you visit family once a year and you just can't get enough of!

4.85/5  rDev +20%

A clear gold, with a nice white head, typical pils, with good lacing

S slight floral hops smell, malts

T excellent, malts, very fresh, nice bitterness, but not a lot

D very very drinkable, very smooth. This is my go to pils, if available the only pils I generally drink

Im not saying, due to my score, that this is the best beer in the world or anything but I think it is one of the best Pilsners and grading to style it is what most pilsners should strive to be.

4.83/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.82/5  rDev +19.3%

First had this beer while living in a small town in Baden-Würtemburg. I was stunned at how it was hands down one of the best representation of german noble hop varieties i'd ever had. Pretty psyched to see it in the US market at not too much of an absurd price, although i used to buy the shit for $.75 a bottle.

4.82/5  rDev +19.3%

I happened upon this, on-tap at the snack-bar at Heidelberg Castle on a cold winters' day. I'd just finished a piece of sweet almond-cream cake, and the beer did not conflict, whatsoever, with any of the cake's effects in my mouth.

In fact, I was startling suprised at how good the beer was! The head faded rather quickly, but it was not bitter or overly-hoppish at all, as with some Pilsener's. I cleared my mouth with some stille-water and tried again. Superb. I quickly drank about half of my .3L stein. Then I had some of my espresso, and some more Tannzenapfle. No conflilct, again-- in fact, rather complementary. We were about to enter the Castle for our tour, but I just had to get another .3L of this outstanding beer before departing the snack-bar.

I tried to see if I could discover any secret hints of taste. It seemed to have hints of apple, carob and mandarin-orange or tangerine, very subtly. I really really enjoyed this beer! Very clean.

Rothaus Pils Tannen Zäpfle from Badische Staatsbrauerei Rothaus AG