Toasted Marshmallow IPA

SCORE
Very Good
Notes:
Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 14 | Log in to view all ratings and sort

Had on tap. Pours hazy, gold in color with one third inch head. Taste is big marshmallo, caramelized sugar and lemon. Light bodied, sweet with moderate carbonation. Loads of great marshmallow taste. One of the better marshmallow beers I have had.

4.11/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pint can dated 07/12/18
Poured into snifter at 44f
Pours a hazy, NOT murky or turbid, but HAZY sunburst orange. Think the orange of a tequila sunrise. Little head reduced to spotty soapy patched and a little collar.

Nose is unrefined coconut sugar all the way. If you've had coconut sugar, you know what I mean. Sweet, lots of coconut impressions, big vanilla, and also smells like there's some lactose in here, as well. There's a big hit of what I'm picking up as blueberry, or perhaps blue raspberry. A very sweet "blue" aroma. This must be from the hops? Which also give big pineapple and mango notes. Very tropical type hops. Fruity and floral.

Palate is some big coconut up front, unrefined coconut sugar, big hit of hops, that come across more resiny than the nose leads you to believe. I'm picking up on Mosaic here, or at least the "ideal" idea that I have of Mosaic. We'll call it Romanticized Mosaic Impression. That fruity, dank, almost blueberry/raspberry lush hoppiness. The hop profile is nice in this, whatever it is. It does lend a good punch of bitterness in the mid-end of things. I think the bitterness counteracts the sweet end of things fairly well.
Not getting huge "marshmallow", but I totally get where they're coming from. If you're unfamiliar with coconut sugar, then the combination of that, paired with the vanilla and the lactose can definitely give one the impression of marshmallow. I, however, am all too familiar with coconut sugar, and can detect it a mile away, so it's a giveaway for me. Nevertheless, it's a well excited approach. I also get pineapple, papaya, and a little bit of mango. The tropical notes work very well with the vanilla sweetness and coconut. I'm also noticing this "rubber/plastic" aroma. I remember as a child some halloween masks has this funny sweet smell to them. This also has something eerily similar. Not bad. Just interesting. Edit:
*Re-read the can, and I honestly had no clue this was Mosaic dry-hopped. Makes perfect sense, and I have a new respect for its character*

Mouthfeel on this one is a little on the thin side. The hops give it the illusion of weight on the mid palate with bitterness, and the lactose (I'm assuming there has to be some in here) lends a slight creaminess to the finish, which ultimately fades to a slightly chalky dryness.

Overall, there's some ups and downs here. First off, as a "gimmicky" IPA that I know some IPA purists are cringing over, it is very well played. It's subtle enough and natural enough for any hop head purist to enjoy (maybe). The lactose is very subtle, the sweetness is very very subtle, and the hops are pretty big. Really, it's more of a coconut (Mosaic) IPA. As a gimmicky beer, I think they played it too safe. Had it been simply labeled Coconut (Mosaic DH) IPA, I think it would be more well placed. Either way, it's an enjoyable IPA nonetheless, and this is the second time I've bought one. Worth a try.

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

I have mixed feelings on this one. The marshmallow is very evident and has low bitterness .....clear yellowish-orange in color. I did enjoy this beer but the price is what makes me second guess buying it again. 6 bucks and change for a single can?its good but not fantastic by any means

3.97/5  rDev -0.5%

The look is a little disappointing right after another one of their beers that was very hazy and full bodied. Smell with lactose, vanilla, coconut, marshmallow, and some mild hops. Taste is same lactose/vanilla/coconut/marshmallow, but much better balanced by the hops in the flavor.
Mouthfeel is soft, pillow, alc covered, aftertaste is lactose and bitter hops.
Overall it's very good for what it is. I hate lactose in beers but here it's much better since it's balanced by the hops.

Toasted Marshmallow IPA from Decadent Ales