Rebellion Stout | Summit Brewing Company

Summit Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States
summitbrewing.com

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

From the limited-release Summit Union Series, we’re proud to offer Rebellion Stout. Single-hopped with a new UK dwarf hop named after a Celtic queen who led the fight against the Romans. Brewed with the quintessential Stout malt from fiercely independent County Cork, Ireland. Loosely based on a recipe from 1896 taken from the archives of an old Cork brewery.

Added by Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky on 11-21-2013

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

3.72/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Black, big head.

Smell: I thought it was a little light on aroma, I could pick up a mild chocolate creaminess.

Taste: Dark chocolate throughout. From start to finish, it is mildly bitter dark chocolate, not much sweetness. Somewhat dry.

Feel: Light feel, lighter than expected for a stronger stout.

Overall: I had pretty high expectations for this one from Summit, as their Oatmeal Stout is excellent. I thought the Rebellion Stout was a little "one note" but still a high quality beer. A little more fruit or sweetness, or fuller body could have pushed this up in my opinion. Worth a try.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

3.99/5  rDev +1%

Coal black it is, with a toasted tan head on top.

Aroma: very vast, deep and wide, rich dar malt is the key component, and all flavors fall out from there. Espresso and chocolate first, with anise coming in behind. A touch of molasses and treacle a little bit further back. Dry as charcoal.

Taste: Dry, roasty, toasty, deep and satisfying. Full bodied, long, malty finish. Very small amount of sweetness, quickly enveloped by dry, roasted malt flavor. Flavor is developing half-way through the glass, widening, growing in malty deliciousness.

Nothing but excellent, this one. Nothing but.

4.09/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours out thick and obsidian, with a big tan head. Not much retention. Aroma isn’t terribly potent but has nice bready and roasted components along with piney hops. Flavor features heavy doses of bitter roasted malt, resiny hops, with pine needle/juniper bitterness on the finish. Very dry. Part way through the glass I start getting more of a bittersweet cocoa flavor. Alcohol is pretty well hidden for 8%. Body is somewhere between medium and thick and just a hair more carbonated than I’d prefer for this beer’s size.

After seeing the description for this release, I’ve been anticipating this one for awhile and happy to say that it does not disappoint as a bulked up dry stout. However it is disappointing to hear that it lacks the typical widespread availability of Summit’s other beers, including the prior Union Series (Meridian). Would love to have this as a seasonal. Hopefully they’re holding back a few kegs for next year as it will be interesting to see how this develops.

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

1.92/5  rDev -51.4%

I guess I don't get this one...gonna have to try it again, I LOVE summit! Even their last union series "session Meridian Belgian pale" I thought was really good, but this is the perfect example of why I don't usually buy a whole 6er of a new beer I haven't tried, even when by one of my fav breweries. From the reviews I DEFINATELY need to try this one again but I am not agreeing one bit with any of the awesome sounding reviews on this beer thus far.

A: best thing about this beer, very oily black in appearance with a nice 1 inch khaki head.
S: im not getting much of the hops that I was expecting for a 70 i.b.u. stout... I don't get any of the normal roasted malt aromas or chocolate or coffee aromas that are typical of normal stouts, especially one with this high a.b.v.
T: same as the aroma....very, very disappointing no hops, no roast malt, no coffe or chocolate, really nothing to speak of as far as flavors go, all I taste is carbonation which seems pretty high for a stout, on the good side the 8.5% is completely masked, but at least some booziness would give this beer some flavor.
M: some oily slickness which is a tad redeeming but too carbonated I'd say medium high to high low.
O.A.: hands down the worst and most disappointing summit beer I have ever had. its funny that everyone else who reviewed this beer wished they had more, I on the other hand don't have any idea what I'm going to do with my other 5...

Rebellion Stout from Summit Brewing Company