Summit Extra Pale Ale | Summit Brewing Company

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by ADR on 08-31-2001

Ratings: 1,241 |  Reviews: 455
Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

This is my drinking beer, always a case on hand, so good on hot days. I love the hoppy aftertaste. I like other pale ales but this is just so good all the time, wether from tap or bottle. mmm. You can drink it at any temp, but best real cold. I need to get some more.

This is my hands down favorite beer. I buy more of this amber ambrosia than any other beer. The aroma and familiar taste keeps me warm during the winter and cool during the summer. It is like my security blanket. I love the hop and malt balance... it makes my head spin... or is that the alcohol... If you like a pale ale that is drinkable and not trying to out-hop the next brew, then you will probably enjoy this great Minnesotan ale.

My all time favorite! I am very biased on this one so I won't give an in depth review but I highly recommend everyone try this beer.

In fairness, this was the first craft brew I ever had and it is brewed in my hometown.

That being said, I love how balanced, full and floral this beer is. Not a hop bomb by today's standards but really delicious and complete.

4.93/5  rDev +33.6%

Smooth, easy drinking ale. Some are fooled or confused by the PA in the name. It is an EPA and not an IPA. I love IPAs, but this one has a special place in my heart. I refer to it as mothers milk. It may not be perfect, but it is like an old pair of comfortable jeans. It just feels right for just about any occasion. Enjoy.

4.92/5  rDev +33.3%

4.8/5  rDev +30.1%

4.72/5  rDev +27.9%

4.7/5  rDev +27.4%

Long time drinker 1st time reviewer

A= beautiful dark amber color with a small head and great lacing
S= hoppy and citusy, very basic smell but a very good smell
T= great hops, some citrus flavor, slight malts at first. Very good
M= great! One of the best mouthfeels I've ever had its just the perfect balance of smoothness and a little bite
D= great. This beer is very very basic but very good. Its a locally brewed beer and its just so average its perfect for just about anything. If u expect fancyness you will be disapointed but if you expect a good easy beer this is great. Great go to beer and amazing session beer

4.68/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.68/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great hoppy taste, a favorite.

4.62/5  rDev +25.2%

Absolutely the grapefruity-chewy ale of choice for me, frankly clobbers Sierra Nevada in my book...nice aroma and a clear medium amber color. I'm currently living in Minnesota but I wasn't looking for a beer this good when I moved here. A really distinct example of an American Pale...hoppy, to be sure, but with a good deal of nutty malts, superior fruitiness, and a complexity all the way to the aftertaste...a very refreshing beer on tap, but with enough guts to last through Fall...

4.6/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is my "always have it in the fridge" beer, the one I "come home" to after trying new brews. Near-perfect in all categories, the only knock against it is that it needs to be pretty fresh. The perfect hop bitterness acquires a slight skunky taste if it's been stored at room temperature for more than a month or two. Since I live in the Mpls/St. Paul area, it is not a problem for me to get the fresh stuff. Beer drinkers in other areas might want to pay attention to the freshness dates.

Good straight from the bottle, but even better from a glass, and best (of course) from the tap.

4.58/5  rDev +24.1%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint weizen glass.

This beer pours a deep golden amber color, with a nice layer of head. The lacing is phenominal, I could see each drink I took all the way down to the last gulp. Retention is decent depending on how fast its consumed.

It smells like a pale ale, with an emphasis on the hops.

The taste is very hoppy, with a nice bitter aftertaste that does not linger very long.

This is definitely one of my favorite beers, and probably one of the best EPA's I'll ever have.

Summit Extra Pale Ale from Summit Brewing Company