Summit Extra Pale Ale | Summit Brewing Company

Minnesota, United States | website

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by ADR on 08-31-2001

Reviews: 451 | Ratings: 1,215

This is my hands down favorite beer. I buy more of this amber ambrosia than any other beer. The aroma and familiar taste keeps me warm during the winter and cool during the summer. It is like my security blanket. I love the hop and malt balance... it makes my head spin... or is that the alcohol... If you like a pale ale that is drinkable and not trying to out-hop the next brew, then you will probably enjoy this great Minnesotan ale.

3.2/5  rDev -13.3%

Sampled from my Midwest sampler pack thanks to World Class Beverages. Pours a copper color with a head that quickly dissapears leaving only small rings of foam around the sides.
Smell is very malty with just a faint note of citrusy hops. Taste is very indistinct. It's not very hoppy or malty, sort of bland. Mouthfeel is decent, however drinkability suffers a little because there's nothing that leaves me wanting to try (or buy) one again. This might be a good crossover beer to convert some macro-loving friends and it's good in a pinch, but with so many other options available I'll seek out something else.

3.28/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours a medium copper color with a 1 finger head and ok lace. Smells were very faint but I did pick up some citrusy hops, and a bit of caramel malt. Taste is much hoppier than its smell leads you to believe. Its not too hoppy but enough to make a nice APA. Fairly well balanced for the style with some nice swwet malt and caramel flavors. Slightly spicy. Clean and crisp, finishes dry. I could drink several of these. Don't let the faint smells fool you.

3.8/5  rDev +3%

12 oz bottle,no type of freshness dating evident. Golden copper, moderate head,carbonation and lacing. Nose is slight hoppyness. middle of the road is how this APA strikes me. moderate hoppyness, grainy,citric and also piney qualities. Medium malt base, adds up to a nicely balanced,if fairly dull brew. Crisp and pleasing, this one will do just fine,but really nothing too exciting here.

3.92/5  rDev +6.2%

Nice golden color, little lacing. I love the smell of this one-I get a whiff of citrus, mostly grapefruit. The taste is very much the same, mostly grapefruity citrus. This is darn good beer, one to give to your macroswilling buds to get them turned onto craft beer.

3.6/5  rDev -2.4%

Bright copper color - a thin white head. Aroma is noteworthy - A nice citrusy american hop aroma. Based on the aroma, I was expecting the beer taste hoppier than it did. Flavor was domiknated by a dry maltiness, with a nice balance of hops but certainly not highly hopped. It was a nice setup beer for the evening, prepping my tastebuds for some serious IPA's.

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a medium copper color with one finger of head. There is a little bit of lacing. The smell is malty and grassy with a touch of hops. A fairly well balanced nose. The taste starts with a good caramel maltiness, nice and smooth. A little bit of a yeast taste too. The finish has a good dose of piney hops. Good balance. The mouthfeel is fairly thick and smooth, and the drinkability fairs good as well. A nice APA.

4.06/5  rDev +10%

Brewed with 2-row Harrington and caramel malts. Hopped with Horizon, Fuggles, and Cascade.

OG=12 degrees plato, 45 IBU, 5.1% ABV, 14 degrees lovibond.

Pours out to a clear copper color, forming a modest whipped yellow head with excellent retention and solid sheets of lacing. This is how I like my Pale Ales to look. Beautiful! Carbonation is spot on for the style. Aroma is also great...fruity, fresh, citrusy and floral hops balanced by a touch of dry malts and husk, clean and crisp brewing water. Mouthfeel is bright at first and then becomes rounded and mellow towards the finish...medium bodied. Very nice. Taste begins with a moderate strong burst of citric hops, followed by modest pale malts, an oaky suggestion, and medium-strong herbal bitterness lingering throughout the dry, woody finish. Minerals accentuate the hop presence.

This is a beautiful looking beer. The bitterness is a little too strong medicinal for my taste today, but is appropriate to the style. This is a nice compromise between the English style hops and oakiness, balanced by the cleaner American yeast character. Recommended.

3.57/5  rDev -3.3%

A serviceable pale that went with turkey and grilled veggies for a most wonderful lunch. Light cream head and some cream in taste that was otherwise dry, with citrus hops taste and dry aftertaste.Thanks feloniousmonk for the sample.
Had 4.5 years later on tap at Bue Nile, was a bit better -noticed aroma, golden orange colour with white head and lots of lace.

3.83/5  rDev +3.8%

Wow, I went to a house party at the U of M and to my suprise Summit Pale Ale was on tap. I was shocked, normally this place only has Busch light. What a score. After drinking BLD all night summit pale ale was amazing. I went up to their tap expecting to see piss colored beer come out, but to my suprise it was a copper colored wonder. I really hope the guys who threw the party made alot of money for taking a risk and spending the extra money

3.26/5  rDev -11.7%

A bit hazed though overall pretty clear. Aggressively poured so as to form a pretty decent head, which forms a very dense layer atop the brew.

A bit of spicy citrus hops. Fairly routine, aromatically speaking. Snappy little flavor though. Starts with a mushy sort of malt flavor. Finishes with a clear focus on the hops. Another standard, good-but-not-spectacular take on the style. But that's hardly a criticism. This is a fine beer, and I suspect that if it were readily available, I'd be slamming this as a session brew all the time.

3.38/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured a coppery-amber with a small off-white head. Lightly carbonated with a sweet floral aroma. The initial mouthfeel is somewhat full, even a bit syrupy -- but then it sort of fizzles out altogether, leaving an acidy bitterness in the aftertaste. Nothing about it is overpowering, which is probably why it remains drinkable despite the average and wanting flavor. I wouldn't shy away from it, but it's not on my 'must have' list.

4.45/5  rDev +20.6%

Like a couple other Twin Cities BAs this is my trusty session beer. Summit is a well made, interesting and easy drinking ale. It pours a nice copper with a think head which dissapates into a nice lacing. The smell isn't overpowering but pleasant with citrusy hops and bit of malt. The taste isn't overly complex but very well balanced. The hops have a bit of grapefuit flavor to start and linger with a hint of flowery finish that seems to rest on the ample malt base. The beer is extremely drinkable and refreshing and I enjoy the flavor throughout this beer (or two or three). This may not impress hopheads who expect an ale to smack them in the mouth, but anyone who is looking for a well crafted, balanced, quaffable brew should check this one out.

3.82/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours a clear reddish amber. moderate head. good lacing. lots of carbonation.
smells clean and citric, quite spicy, a little malty sweetness.
taste is clean bitter grapefruit, with some chewy malt. big hops, even for the style - theyre definitely less floral, and more citric/spicy.
mouthfeel is soft and chewy but medium in thickness. slightly overcarbonated.
in my experience, better from a bottle than on tap. a decent beer.

3.26/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bought a sampler. This beer pours a gold/coppery color. Head dissappears quickly; but the lace stuck around throughout the entire beer.

Nose is barnyard. I do not like this. Taste is malty with a little hops and a little grapefruit on the side. Mouthfeel is OK but the head is more frothy tasting. I like carbonated bite not the taste of gargling hydrogen peroxide.

Not bad but not good. Very forgetable. Much finer offerings out there

3.97/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours an orange copper color with a short white head that soon gives way to a sticky and bubbly lace. Nose is fresh citrus fruit with some strong notes of buttery malts. Medium in body with a rather fine carbonation that makes for a crisp mouthfeel. Taste begins with flavors of fresh grapefruit followed by spicy and bitter hop oils all the while balanced by a nice malt backbone. Finish is dry with a lasting bitter aftertaste. A pretty nice pale ale to be had here. Thanks to feloniousmonk for the sample!

3.63/5  rDev -1.6%

New review: 7/16/04 - Ok so I give this a shot occassionally so see if my thoughts and taste have changed or perhaps the beer, I think perhaps the beer. Summit has made some minor changes it seems. This years O-fest was one of the better ones as was the Maibock. Now the EPA seems to have come around. While at a small restuarant with little choices, the EPA was in bottles so I figured what the hell and I'm glad I did. The flavors and feel has improved I think. Or it did last night when I actually enjoyed 3 or them. After drinking the first I thought, "How could this be, its better then the last time I had it." The taste is more crisp and balanced then I remember from before. The hops were quite nice, Goldings I think, do there job well, smooth pale like malt thats a bit sweet and a touch fruity as well in some regards somewhere and a refined little bitterness thats mildly pleasant. The feel is what really made a difference, I've always thought that the body was textured in a weird way along with an astringency that carried through sip after sip. But now its a bit more crisp, smoother texture and warm welcome light/medium body. Even a bit buttery in a way. This was the first time in a long time that the EPA made me want to drink more. Now I'm curious as to what the tap version may be like. Tapped has always had a edge up in my book due to a cleaner texture in the past. But now if the bottle has changed some...maybe the tapped too.

11/27/03- Color is a hazy honey yellow with a thin, white bubbly head of froth, just over a finger high. Smells of citrusy spiced hops and light caramel, super rich in the hop notes with an overall dryness and floralness. But this is where it takes a turn for me, is the taste. Its way to dry and bitter, very unpleasant to me and harshly raw in the hops and carbonation, the malts uneven, I just don't know what it is about the taste, but I just can't seem to get by it. As before, its just to drying and overly hoppy bittering. Unbalanced for me to enjoy any more then a half bottle before it gets tiresome with the carbonation that suits a soda pop. But from what I get from the bottle seems a tad smoother then tap, which I find weird, whatever...
taste -3
mf -2.5
d- 2.5

4.32/5  rDev +17.1%

Burnt orange rust color. Pure white head, that is very big at first, and lingers for most of the beer. Taste is a little muted at first, bu sitck around and is very tasty when swallowed. Not one of the stronger showings in the sampler, but still worth tasting.

Update 7-10-2004 I was vastly mistaken in my first review of the EPA. Since I developed a love of hops I must include this on the short list of my favorite PA's. Very tasty, I feel guitly for the weak review I initially gave it.

3.63/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice to see a larger craft brewer whose flagship brand is not the usual pale pilsner. And nice to see that it's readily available on tap in the Twin Cities, where I tasted this (it's even on a few taps here in Chicago). A pleasing amber/copper color, toasty malty sweetness and a refined hop spiciness... definitely not IPA level, but enough to tell the novice beer drinker there's another world out there. Great with those Matt's hamburgers with the cheese fried inside the patty (a Minneapolis tradition my brother introduced me to)!

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

Summit Pale Ale is a wonderful every day ale. It is extremely drinkable with low carbonation. It does not meet the requirements of a fine hoppy ale but I keep returning to it. It runs $11-$12 per twelve pack (less on sale) and you can not drink just one. It is on tap in many decent bars in the Minneapolis St.Paul area and is a better choice the Sam Adams for those who like ale best.

3.68/5  rDev -0.3%

Slight musty malt nose. Nice white head on the pour leaves a sticky white friend on the glass. Very filtered peach colored look. Some decent bubble action in the pint glass. Nice rounded flavors with great balence. The malt base light and sweet but this is evened out with a sting of gree grassy hop bitterness. Just enough of a hop finish to make you want to drink more. A solid pale ale with good drinkability.

3.28/5  rDev -11.1%

An amber color (not very pale) with a nice starting head that diminishes quickly, and a good presence of lace. A hoppy aroma, initially, and then of bread and some caramel. Smooth mouth feel, a light (slightly sweet) taste with a dry finish. Not a very distinctive or memorable taste, but a good mouth feel, and fairly drinkable.

4.18/5  rDev +13.3%

Presentation: Squat looking 12 ounce bottle, with a predominantly dark orange colored neck and main labels. Titled as ‘Extra Pale Ale’, and lists the ingredients as ‘Water, Malted Barley, Hops & Yeast’ – a simple if somewhat self deprecating list, but a nice honest touch!

Appearance: A very attractive amber color with orange-golden hints, lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the thin off-white head, with a thick collar rim, refrains from breaking completely and leaves a resilient covering. Good carbonation rebuilds the head when swirled; I like that.

Nose: I found the nose a tad light in strength, but what it lacked in muscle it made up for in style. A rather enticing mix of hops, caramel malts and some ‘bitterness’ traits.

Taste: 12 fluid ounces is hard to judge this beer by as it so damn drinkable. I found myself polishing off well over half of the beer before I had chance to really concentrate on it, a good sign perhaps. Bitterness is what I note and remember the most though, even in the last drops. It starts and remains bitter throughout, indeed bitterness is the thread to which caramel malts, lightly roasted malts, hops and a hint of freshly peeled citric zest is attached, but it does, as it should, finish with a mighty fine astringent bitter ending that lingers and rolls on the tongue & cheeks. Wow, very nice indeed!!

Mouthfeel: The carbonation aids the presence, and adds a sense of medium proportion about the mouthfeel. Just right for a serious session beer.

Drinkability: Excellent, a very smooth drinking ‘Bitter’, clean tasting, that at 5.1% ABV would make a perfect Session beer, indeed, the 12 fluid ounces that I had - just did, albeit a very short session though - damn. I am sure this would be awesome on Cask.

Overall: An excellent Pale Ale, ‘Extra’ or otherwise, I am not one to bother about style faux pas, well not too much, but this is just a damn fine Pale Ale all round. It reminded me very much in style (oops!) of some high grade Premium Bitters that I drank in the UK (and that tend to be in the 4.8% – 5.5% range). That last statement is not meant to draw on the style, but merely state that this EPA has exceptional qualities that would endear it to a Cask format and the “10 Pints at Lunchtime Session” crowd in the UK, and it would probably still leave you wanting more. Superb.

Thanks to BigHuge for this one, this bottle was definitely bone-dry before it got recycled!

3.26/5  rDev -11.7%

This beer pours a nice amber, as though it were the definition of the color. Shortish head, but fairly endurant, and it leaves a decent lacing with some substance throughout the whole drink. The smell is pretty much dominated by citrusy hops, without much complexity or character. There appear to be some malty notes in the background, but they really aren't sticking up for themselves. Overall not terribly exciting on the pour, but not too poor either.

First taste is a little muddled, with no discernable character one way or the other, until a mild, smooth finish. The taste seems to blend together well, but no real distinctive flavors are coming through even as I look for them. The citrus is really the only thing going for this beer, and it seems to cover over the mild mlat character that is concealed deep in the middle of the cups. Finish is also less than impressive, with some hop bittering to remind you that you are indeed drinking a pale ale, but it disperses quickly, and I can only imagine that this beer would be completely covered if it was mixed with any food.

Can't complain about the drinkability of this though. A very smooth ale indeed, and it would make a very passable session ale for a session when no one involved intends to drive any time soon. Warms to a taste just like the pour, or possibly even more watery and muddled. The mouthfeel is very smooth indeed, with an excellent amount of carbonation balancing the liquid. Overall an alright beer, and I certainly wouldn't say no to one, but not a clear winner.

3.07/5  rDev -16.8%

A small off-white head with fine-small sized bubbles that quickly diminished.The body was carbonated and slightly cloudy.The hue of this beer was copper and the lacing was fair.The nose was hoppy, fruity, sweet and malty.The flavor was very bitter and it had a fore and an aftertaste that lingered.The mouthfeel of this beer was tingly on the tongue, smooth, thin and watery.

Summit Extra Pale Ale from Summit Brewing Company