Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Summit Oatmeal Stout | Summit Brewing Company

summitbrewing.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Availability: Fall

Added by truthbrew on 05-23-2004

And for my 100th review, Summit Oatmeal Stout. A holy grail of sorts for me since it's only sold on tap and not in bottles because it's tapped with half CO2 and half Nitro. I don't live near the Twin Cities, so it was a treat to finally have some at Stub and Herbs in Minneapolis.

Pours black with a light tan head that cascades in the body of the beer for a while after it's poured. Aroma was of roasted malts and creaminess. The mouthfeel was medium bodied and super silky-smooth. Flavors were a perfect mix of roasted, toasted malt with hints of cream and coffee. I was anticipating that this would be good and it exceeded those expecations. This is to date the best beer I've ever tasted.

My favorite beer of all time, the Oatmeal Stout is about as good as it gets for me, amazing taste and texture.

Summit needs to make this beer a regular. I had it on tap at Old Chicago, in St. Cloud, and it was terrific. I love nitro-poured beers for their creaminess and this beer was creamy and full bodied. I have had a few benchmark oatmeal stouts and this beer blows them out of the water. Sam Smith who?

Had this on tap at the brewery this weekend. Freshly tapped keg, only 6 days old. It was fantastic. I am a fan of stouts above all else, and this was truly up there with some of the most magnificent I have ever had. If you have the rare opportunity to try this, you are lucky. It is in limited distribution, and even the pub I went to the next day for another pint does not go through enough for the absolute ideal pour (perhaps why some outside of the Twin Cities may not have enjoyed it as much as I).

A: perfect cascade, the perfect deep black hue that television manufacturers wish they could match.

S: Fresh and creamy with some sweetness to the bouquet

T: Delicious, smooth, and creamy. It rolls around on the palate delicately and builds in flavor with every swirl.

M: Very smooth and delicate. Almost silky (perhaps some may think too smooth for an oatmeal stout if they are used to the nuttier, heavily oat based flavors, or perhaps the less filtered grittier tastes of others)

D: Goes down so smooth, it is almost dangerous. Great at any time of day, from morning (on the special occasion or before a great sporting match) to the evening. Only drawback is availability. I wish I could have a pint by the fire on a cold Minnesota night, but absent a nitro-tap and keg fridge, I will have to save it for special occasions.

On tap at Irish Fair O8. Nearly jet black with a thick tan head. Mild earthy, roasty aroma that gets much stronger after it warms up a bit. Wonderfull chocolate and coffee flavors with a rather sweet finish. Hops are there for balance but that seems to be it. The mouthfeel is thick and creamy(oats?). This is a smooth stout with no pretentions. Just drink it and be happy.

4.82/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is hands down the best oatmeal stout I've had. When its poured it looks just like Guiness with its thick black body and cascading head. The taste is so smooth with chocolate overtones it is delectable. My only fault with this beer is that it is draft only. Summit please start canning or bottling this!

4.79/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Great taste slightly bitter aftertaste high chance of me getting this one again

4.76/5  rDev +17.8%

4.76/5  rDev +17.8%

What a creamy delight (TWSS)! I had this on tap on the 4th of July and the hottest day of the year. Despite the heat, I really liked this thick, rich beer. It poured with a heavy foam into a dark color. The smell was pleasant but not overwhelming. The taste was ALL STOUT! It was rich, creamy, and flavorful without a single hint of alcohol aftertaste. It was thick and filling. A+

Summit Oatmeal Stout from Summit Brewing Company