Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Summit Great Northern Porter | Summit Brewing Company

summitbrewing.com

Style: American Porter

Added by ADR on 03-04-2002

2.21/5  rDev -42.1%

I was really disappointed by this porter as it came highly recommended from a couple people.

First off the appearence was terrible. It barely had any head at all and what it had was a very sickly brown color, the beer itself was a very dark brown not letting any light through it. It almost looked like pouring a flat can of coke.

The smell wasn't to bad, with some nice earthy and coffee scents.
Then the taste. Very bitter and light on flavor, almost has a watered down taste to it with slight hints of coffee and cocoa, anot what I have come to expect in a good porter.

The mouthfeel was very, very light not real impressive.
Overall not very drinkable, I'll stick with Bells or Grants when it comes to Porter.

2.4/5  rDev -37.2%

I was pretty disappointed with this beer. It has a pretty harsh chemical taste and a lingering, too-bitter aftertaste. There are many better porters than this, even the more popular ones. Yuengling and Sierra Nevada both make better porters. I will not buy this one again, it's just not good enough. And porter/stout is my style of choice, so I am not being unfair.

2.46/5  rDev -35.6%

A-Pours a clear black with 2 fingers of thick tan head that laces the pint glass.

S-Toasted/burnt barley malt.

T-Definitely some dark malt in here, hints of burnt coffee giving a bitter finish.

M-Medium bodied (malty not creamy) and carbonated. Watery finish.

D-Ok, but I don't think I want another.

O-Nothing special here, 1 dimensional, not very flavorful or complex.

2.5/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.55/5  rDev -33.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance- beautiful dark beer, rich frothy tan head that has great retention and leaves a nice tan lacing

Smells- like coffee and chocolate with a tangible hops aroma as well.

Taste- Bitter, not a good hops bitter, just a bad beer bitter. The coffee and roasted chocolate is there like it was in the aroma, but I cant get past this bitter chemical-like aftertaste.

Overall- Admittedly Porters are not my favorite style, but this isn't a very good beer. Summit makes other fine products... Buy their Maibock or EPA for fine examples.

2.62/5  rDev -31.4%

This will be my first beer review. I may be somewhat unequipped/inexperienced at this point, but everybody starts somewhere.
Poured in an old fashioned (I lack proper glassware for the time being). Pours a dark, fairly thick, muddy brown with a thin beige head. Good head retention.
I don't detect much of a nose. What little scent I can guess at is that of weak coffee.
Starts off with some slight bitterness that softens back into the weak coffee with a little bit of hops (I'm guessing) poking its head out midway through. Coffee becomes more pronounced as it turns dry and the flavor finishes. The aftertaste lingers with a light coffee bitterness.
I picked this up as another stop on my MN/WI beer tour, and I'm planning on working my way through the rest of Summit's offerings soon. This was not a great beer to start with though. Given my memory of the Pale, Winter, and Scandia, this is definitely one of their weaker offerings. I've never been a coffee drinker, but I've enjoyed the flavor enough in stouts before. Here it's just too weak and there's not much else going on.

Edit: I went into this review having already tried this beer. My review may be somewhat colored by previous experience and should be taken with a grain of salt. If the rest of the reviews are any indication, this beer is well worth a try.

2.77/5  rDev -27.5%

i want to like this beer it looks great in a glass but that hint of hoppiness that turns me off those of you like hoppiness its good for you but the just the hint of hoppiness leaving a bitter aftertaste in my mouth just turns me off can do hoppiness so i can like this beer go find another but leave this for those hop heads

2.78/5  rDev -27.2%

Not much taste and the thick syrupy consistency of a slushy. Nice color. A bit of hops and a mid-sip chocolate roast. Otherwise, low in the flavour department. Hope I did not mistreat this in the cellar.

Tip of cap to feloniousmonk for this and a full line of Summit samples.

2.8/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Malted coffee aromas from this brown liquid. A cluster of wadded, dried red berry fruits and peppery spices are discernable on the nose too. The flavors are burnt with blackened cell matter exposing alcohol and steely metal flavors. Soda fizziness, a little salty, concludes the unexceptional brown beer experience.
This sample has got to be off condition, but I doubt it started from a very prime position either.

2.94/5  rDev -23%

Poured into a 12oz Tumbler Glass

Appearance - Black, so black that I can see my reflection on the glass. Porters don't really get much darker than this. Has a 2 finger width head with a tan color look to it. Lacing is decent on the sides, though it tends to thin out just a little bit

Smell - Chocolate and Coffee mixed in with a pungent burnt malty scent. There's also some caramel and roasted malt smells in here too. In general, it's pretty sweet smelling for a porter.

Taste - Burnt and Roasted Malts with some black coffee, perhaps a little too much more than it ought to be. The chocolate that was present in the smell is nowhere near as prevalent as it is in the flavor. Aftertaste is a rather bitter burnt coffee flavor and not quite in a good way

Mouthfeel - It's pretty heavy bodied but the carbonation is average. Overall, you could do worse.

Overall - I'm used to Porters that strike a balance in terms of their flavor and sadly this one doesn't fit that description. There's nothing really terribly offensive about this beer, but somethings not right when your smell is alot better than your taste.

Summit Great Northern Porter from Summit Brewing Company