Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

Availability: Spring

Added by ADR on 02-09-2002

3.8/5  rDev +5%

Clear, deep golden with pocks of white head, leaving little to the imagination.

Grainy malts are foremost on the nose, but not as prominent as you might think. Very subdued, with a bit of floral hops in the background.

While maibock is not my favorite style, for me, this is an especially good interpretation. The malts are sweet to style, but not so overly sweet that it's overbearing. There's some citrus here too - grapefruit, coming through pretty bitter.

Smooth carbonation, leaving only a sweet bitterness behind.

For a spring seasonal, I really enjoy Summit's version of the maibock.

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

This seems quite hoppy for a bock, but I'm not all that familiar with the Maibock style. All around, I found it uninspiring. Nice, lacy head, though! Medium body, non-descipt beer-ish smell, some OK citrus notes through the hops, but not thrilling. I'd drink it again, but I probably wouldn't buy it myself!

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

2.75/5  rDev -24%

2.75/5  rDev -24%

1.75/5  rDev -51.7%

3.98/5  rDev +9.9%

I had purchased this bottle at The Fridge a couple of weeks ago, but I did not realize that we could still do reviews and so I had it held in abeyance. Dummy me!

My running mate drank one last night and it looked really good, so I became inspired to break mine out. It is after Noon, after all, plus I have the day off.

My aggro pour created two-plus fingers of eggnog-colored head with good retention. The beer itself was a deep golden-yellow that would make Midas and Croesus envious and cause Greg Koch to call me a wussy. I LIKE beers that look like beer! I also like to bury my nose in my beer and this had a big malty sweetness to it which will make a nice change of pace from my recent spate of big hoppy beers. Next, I like to fill my mouth with beer until my cheeks bulge out like a chipmunk's and let the beer just roll around on my tongue. This method is NOT recommended with Sixpoint's Resin as the beer acted like a hydrofluoric acid burn and wormed its way into my tongue through all of my weak link tastebuds. Here, it warmed with a soothing softness and although it was a Bock, it was not cloying or overly malty. They struck a nice balance between too sweet and too dry. I do not mind dry beers, but style is style, after all. Finish was semi-dry and very pleasant to just sit and sip on a lazy afternoon. The price point was VERY nice and would easily warrant a re-visit.

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

4.03/5  rDev +11.3%

Purchased on tap at the Xcel Energy Center for Jets vs Wild. Poured into a tall plastic glass.

Clear golden body with a nice white head that leaves stellar
lacing. Light fruity esters and a grainy nose with floral notes. The body is more floral with a grainy background and a light spicy bitterness. The beer finishes clean with a malty sweetness. A very enjoyable beer that seems like a great regular drinking beer...

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%