Summit Hefe Weizen | Summit Brewing Company

Style: Hefeweizen

Availability: Summer

Added by ADR on 05-31-2002

Reviews: 128 | Ratings: 180

Bottle says enjoy by 6 September 2011.

Pours a nice cloudy golden straw yellow, like late summer wheat. A nice stack of head, about two fingers, white. Retention is decent, lacing is pretty good.

Smell - lots of fruit and yeast. Great banana and wheat aromas. A bit of spice, but mostly it's lovely sweet ripe fruit with some pungent yeast.

Taste is surprisingly tangy and a bit rough. There's more bitterness than I'd like, and not enough of those banana, yeast, and wheat flavors. Tastes a little like tonic water. Disappointing. Finishes bitter, drying out, but the bitter holds on still.

Mouthfeel - I find the carbonation to be too high, as the beer can't really settle down with all those bubbles flying around. Thin-bodied, as expected.

An okay beer, but not one I'll feel inclined to drink again. It's refreshing on a hot day, and I can finish the glass. But it's sharp and rough, with more bitterness and carbonation than I want from it, and it's missing those delicious fruit, wheat, and yeast flavors that the smell promised.

2.97/5  rDev -18.6%

So my chance to have summit. I grabbed it from a shipment and was excited to get it.

It smells fruity with flowers
Taste is not good. Skunk with bitter. Just not for me. I do feel that if I had poured it colder it would have been better.
Lots of carbonization on the tongue.

Overall this beer is not for me. .

2.94/5  rDev -19.5%

Gotta love college budgets, first review in a while. Poured into my 21st birthday mug.

A: Nice golden orange color. Clear with tons of carbonation and bubbles rising to the top. 2 finger head that sticks around for a while and settles into about an inch of head that sticks around for the whole trip. Pretty nice lacing as well.

S: Only citrus, maybe some malts too. Very sweet smelling.

T: Follows the nose. Heavy on the citrus, pretty much exclusively sweet. Maybe a little alcohol at the end? Seems off for the abv but thats what it seems like. Finishes pretty clean.

M: Lots of carbonation, but has a crisp mouthfeel, light but not thin.

O: Solid beer, not my favorite hefe but i could drink it on a nice summers day.

2.82/5  rDev -22.7%

Pours a very thin watery texture with a on half finger head rising and quickly falling to a small lace that sticks 1/4" above the surface following the beer down the mug. Color is a very light gold to almost yellow. The smell is all yeast with some notes of grains in back creamy sweet and slightly buttery. The taste is full and decent, the buttery sweet flavor of the yeast overpowers most untill the overwhelming grain finish hits you like a ton of bricks...tough...I graded the taste up a little as this is not my favorite type of beer. Mouthfeel is a bit too water for me. I probably wont buy this one again. I have had better hefes than this.

2.68/5  rDev -26.6%

Summit Hefe Weizen: on tap. Poured a very yellow color, very hazy. The color was a little startling. Nice thick head, dense and long lasting. Very lemony flavor, which was a little surprising (and no, they did not put a lemon in it). The banana taste typical to the style were absent. After taste was long lasting, and fruity sweet. The brew was smooth though, with a creamy mouth feel. Unusual brew, not that authentic to the style, and not in my top ten of the style.

2.43/5  rDev -33.4%

The appearance was slighty cloudy, with a very slight head. Pale yellow in color, what I would expect from this type of beer. The smell had a decent aroma of wheat, not overpowering but present. I actually had high hopes for this beer, but the taste had a metallic aftertaste. Not sure if it was from the brewing process or the fact the the bottle purchased may have been too old. In any event, the aftertaste took something away from this beer. I thought it was well carbonated and had a good mouthfeel. I just couldn't get past the aftertaste. I would try this beer again, but only if I could be sure that the beer was fresh. Never buy off the shelf marked for sale!

1.92/5  rDev -47.4%

Flowery hefe; what can i say - tastes like dishsoap to me.

A: Golden color with a thick head

S: Smells soapy; not a good start.

T: Tastes soapy. Very flowery (not bitter hops, but flowers) flavor to it. Not sure if that is a fermentation issue or the hops, but i feel like im drinking Palmolive.

M: SG 1.015 maybe? Medium carbonation.

D: The taste really throws me off, so hard to judge. Seems like the gravity and mouthfeel is fine, so probably drinkable if you like floiwery beers.

1.18/5  rDev -67.7%

I received a bottle of this from tavernjef (thanks!). But, something was terribly wrong. This beer was absolutely horrible. The 3/8" of yeast sitting in the bottom may be a clue, but the first sip was putrid - like vomit. I spit it out, looked it over, and tried another sip. Poured the rest down the drain. The worst tasting fermented garbage I have ever had. I had to wash my mouth out with Scope to get rid of the taste. Looking at the other reviews, I got a bad bottle or something.

Summit Hefe Weizen from Summit Brewing Company