Summit Hefe Weizen | Summit Brewing Company

4.11/5  rDev +12.3%

Summit Hefe Weizen
12 oz bottle
Recent bottling, pondered 10/06
Medium pour in a tulip glass.

Poured a cloudy medium straw yellow with a small white fizzy quickly diminishing head.

Smelt of moderate bananas, cloves, tutti frutti bubble gum and raw dough.

Flavor was upfront moderate sweet bananas, floweriness and light raw bitter dough followed by a sweet uncooked banana bread yeastiness with an average light sweet finish. Mouthfeel was light to medium bodied, slightly creamy and caressing, softly carbonated and light astringency.

Overall, a good showcase of yeast in a hefe weizen, with only a poor showing in appearance due to low carbonation and disappointing head.

A- Straw-yellow with a strong head that drops down to a thin layer, eventually.

S- Sweet banana, spicy herbal notes, and wheat malts. Somewhat lemony.

T&M- Body is medium with medium carbonation. Bready texture of the wheat malts is backed with some lemon tartness and smooth banana and clove spiciness. Very crisp with a slightly dry, bitter finish. Very clean. I am one of those who looks at you funny when I hear bubblegum flavor and I don't taste it here either.

D- I have grown to love this version of Hefe above most other American versions out there. This pretty darn good and a perfect summer quencher.

4.5/5  rDev +23%

Holy crap! This thing has the most uncontrollable head on any hefe I've ever tried! This moster head, once unleashed, rose up from the depths like a science project and tumbled over the sides of my half liter pint glass! This beast of a head is rocky and chunky, and it calms down to a quarter finger after several minutes and stays at that level. All of this insanity is suspended over a murky orange brew.

This sucker is redolent of dusty yeast, brown bananas, old fashioned bubblegum (the kind that comes individually wrapped in a twisted wrapper), and lots of doughy bread. There is a solid hop presence in addtion to a dank dusty smell (not a bad thing). The warmer it gets, the more I smell ripe bananas and bazooka joe....dang, that smells GOOD!

Tates doughy, yeasty, and fresh. This has a bit of that glazed donut flavor that I experience in most good hefe's. Banana bread is definitely there along with an extremely dry and dusty sensation that I believe is the yeast (maybe I'm wrong)? The finish is very dry and tart from the adequate amount of hops.

The more I sip the more I am reminded of banana skins. Yes, I have actually eaten the skin of a banana....I just wanted to see what it tasted like (I was a weird kid). Also, more spiced qualities come out as the temperature of the beer rises. This definitely gets better towards the end of the pint.

Mouthfeel is tingly with carbonation and this seems to mask the heavier "slick and slimy" qualities that be present in a hefe. IMO this is the best hefe that I've tried so far....it's quite deep and comlpex, but not overly yeasty and doughy like the more traditional Bavarian hefe's which are a little too sweet and slimy for my taste.

This is damn good stuff. This will be a summer sessioner for sure!

4.24/5  rDev +15.8%

This beer has a small head but it stays for good and gives off an amazing odor of sourdough bread. What an awesome thing for beer to smell like. The taste is super-tangy and has a strange mix of ester and phenol flavors that are kind of recognizable but come together in such a way that its far from "classic" hefewiezen taste. Banana stands out the most but I wouldn't say it dominates. This is definately different and probably the best domestically- produced hefe I've had yet. I drank it in like 15 minutes.

3.93/5  rDev +7.4%

Not the best Hefe, but at under $7 a sixer, this is a heck of a beer. It matches a lot of the elements of a great german hefe profile, but not all of them. Looks great, cloudy golden beer with a white head and nice lacing. Smells of slightly sour wheat with yeast. A lovely german wheat and yeast flavor. If this beer only had a little mroe complexity, some more fruit, it'd be a great beer. If there's a cheap sixer near you try it. If not, stick to the good import stuff.

3.06/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2-finger head, rapidly receding. Cloudy (of course), dark yellow in color. Smell was a bit citrusy, but also a little pungent (in a good way). Unfortunately, there was also a glassy, metallic smell of some kind that was somewhat off-putting. That oddity carried through slightly to the taste, but for the most part it was an enjoyable taste with hints of bannana & aged apples. Nice body. A little hoppier than I would have expected, but for me that's not a problem.

3.47/5  rDev -5.2%

A - Nice golden yellow color, thin head that stays on top while drinking. Not cloudy at all.
S - Definitely banana clove with a little yeast.
T - Tastes more like a wheat than a hefeweizen. I prefer my hefes to have a little more banana.
M - Too much carbonation at first, settled down about half way through the glass.
D - I could throw these back all night. But I only have two...so I guess I'm out of luck.

Overall, a nice beer, not spectacular and not the best of Summit's lineup. I'd go with the extra pale first.

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

Appearance is good, decent 2 finger head, no real lacing, pale yellow in color...
Smell- is spicy with a bit citrus fruit tones and slightly yeasty
Taste is again quite spicy a bit of malt to finish
Mouthfeel- is good still a bit bubbly but heavy enough to slide back easily
Drinkability- not too filing sips pretty quick

3.73/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Left a two finger head that faded quickly to surface skim, left no lacing. Body was a cloudy orange yellow.

Smell - creamy wheat, biscuity and toasty malt, and some bananas. Hint of noble hops.

Taste - much like the nose. Creamy wheat, biscuity and toasty malt, hint of bananas. Grassy, herbal hop sourness.

Mouthfeel - creamy, slight hop oil slickness, low carbonation, halfway between full and thin.

Drinkability - this is good, but not great. It goes down well. It's also very sessionable.

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a weissen glass

A—pours bruised banana yellow with some hazy clouds that are frozen in the lquid, ¾ inch fizzy white head with some yellow tints in it, collapses down rather quickly, lacing is sparse

S—banana, citrus, some floral notes, spicy, mildly sweet and very fragrant

T—banana, wheat, an assortment of spices, a touch of vanilla, very good

M—light and refreshing, but a little slippery, light/medium bodied, mild carbonation

D—very much so. This is the summer Hefe Weizen that I have been looking for.

4.1/5  rDev +12%

This is the beer you bring with to the BBQ or the picnic...

Pours a hazy, crisp yellow in the glass. Great foam head on this beer. Light carbonation. Lacing traces my beer from start to finish.

Citrus aromas blast my nostrils into submission. Banana, orange and malt assault my senses. Finishes with that great wheat character.

Great summer beer and one I will return more frequently.

3.92/5  rDev +7.1%

This one poured a cloudy yellow with a white head that settled to a thin layer in my glass. Minimal lacing.

The aroma is of citrus and fruity esters.

The flavor is of wheat malt, yeast, fruity esters, citrus (orange, lemon).

It is light/med. bodied with medium carbonation.

This is a very drinkable beer. I've had many other Hefe's that were much better but this is still good and would make a great session brew.

3.57/5  rDev -2.5%

Typical straw yellow for hefe's, not as cloudy as I might prefer. The head rises up after the pour well, but quickly dissapears to a broken ring, if any. The smell and the initial taste both had the characteristics of hefeweizens, but were a little toned back. Banana and cloves over the fresh wheat backdrop initially, finishing with citrus/lemon zest and a bread/yeast flavor. Although there wasn't a lot to make this standout, it is still a solid, drinkable, local beer that I am certain I will return to more than once before the summer is over.

3.47/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A decent spring and summer selection. Doesn't have the bold Hefeweizen characters that I love in the style, but clean and void of flaws. A typical straw / yellow and yeasty looking brew. The haze is less intense than desired and the head retention is slight, but maybe I'm being too picky. Smells sweet and yeasty, but light on the clove, bananna, and bubble gum esters. Tastes reitterate the aromas, in that there exists a soft sweetness (not entirely grain deriven), along with a mild - moderate wheat and barley malt. A timid yeasty, bready flavor follows through to the finish. Citrus (orange, pineapple) do the same. Finishes quite clean and refreshing with a mild grainy bitterness. Pretty good, but not a 'standout' enought to claim top nods.

3.85/5  rDev +5.2%

12 ounce brown bottle- No freshness date

A- Pours into the weizen glass a murky golden orange color. Head is a fluffy off-white with minimal retention, spotty lace.

S- The citrus I am detecting is grapefruit. Cloves are present and the faintest trace of banana.

T- Is much as expected of a hefe with the added tartness of grapefruit. Suprisingly, not unpleasant.

M- Medium-light body. Gently glides over the palate. Crisp. Finishes clean.

D- Enjoyable. I know it sounds cliche but, refreshing. I could see these being quite sessionable.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a moderately cloudy straw color with a finger of white head that falls to a fair coat over top. Nose is impressive for an American hefe. I get a bit of banana, clove and solid wheat. Very solid for an American made hefe. Flavor is much like the nose, but a little light on the banana fruityness. Its mostly wheaty with a background of clove and banana. A pretty good tasting beer. Feel is a solid creamy moderate with a moderate carbonation. Very active yet still with the body I want in a hefe. By far a highly drinkable beer. Nothing wrong with it. This will be in my fridge again from warmer weather.

2.82/5  rDev -23%

Pours a very thin watery texture with a on half finger head rising and quickly falling to a small lace that sticks 1/4" above the surface following the beer down the mug. Color is a very light gold to almost yellow. The smell is all yeast with some notes of grains in back creamy sweet and slightly buttery. The taste is full and decent, the buttery sweet flavor of the yeast overpowers most untill the overwhelming grain finish hits you like a ton of bricks...tough...I graded the taste up a little as this is not my favorite type of beer. Mouthfeel is a bit too water for me. I probably wont buy this one again. I have had better hefes than this.

3.63/5  rDev -0.8%

Served from bottle with no date indicated. The small egg white head dissapates to a tiny ring that sits on top of a straw yellow, slightly hazy body. An ample amount of carbonation rises to the top in a steady stream of bubbles. The aroma has some citrus with a hint of wheat but I don't notice much in the way of cloves or banannas as one would expect from a Hefe Weizen. Some wheat and lemon come through in a dry finish. A nice quencher but not all that representative to the traditional style.

2.43/5  rDev -33.6%

The appearance was slighty cloudy, with a very slight head. Pale yellow in color, what I would expect from this type of beer. The smell had a decent aroma of wheat, not overpowering but present. I actually had high hopes for this beer, but the taste had a metallic aftertaste. Not sure if it was from the brewing process or the fact the the bottle purchased may have been too old. In any event, the aftertaste took something away from this beer. I thought it was well carbonated and had a good mouthfeel. I just couldn't get past the aftertaste. I would try this beer again, but only if I could be sure that the beer was fresh. Never buy off the shelf marked for sale!

3.3/5  rDev -9.8%

Thanks to ZAP for this offering...
A clear, golden yellow w/ a small amount of white head forms...very little lace.
Not much in the nose...a touch of banana and subtle sweetness.
Taste is decent...a touch drier than most heffe weizens I've tried to date. Slightly bitter lemons up front w/ very little spice...finished quite dry.
Mouthfeel is a little thin and more carbonated than I'd like to see for this style...still refreshing and one I'm glad to have tried.

4.37/5  rDev +19.4%

This is a re-review of this beer for me. Funny thing I don't remember having tried it before, and my review doesn't seem to be consistent with this particular batch (which is an amazing rendition of the hefe style).

The beer pours into my Ayinger weizen glass to a very light pale yellow color, only slightly hazy. The carbonation is minimal, and can't sustain the already thin white head.

The nose is heavy of banana and clove along with a spicy hint of wheat. If you can manage to let this beer warm up a bit before quaffing, it really brings out the aromas and flavors.

The taste has a bit of a bite to it from the wheat followed by a nice banana and clove. It's a bit sweet and light with only a mild hop at the end.

The mouthfeel is very light and refreshing. This is one of the most drinkable hefes I've had.

3.33/5  rDev -9%

Lightly hazy, golden banana body, with solid effervescence and capped by a puffy, light head. Looks like a hefeweizen to me, although a little more haziness wouldn't hurt. Nose is yeasty, with wheat malt, light clove, and a touch of banana. These typical hefeweizen aromas are accompanied by a snappy citrus burst, that gives this version a twist (which isn't necessarily a good thing). Taste lacks the bready wheat malt and is low on banana and bubblegum. Some clove flavor, along with a noticeable, almost citrus hop spice bitterness. Finish is yeasty and slightly metallic. About as average-tasting as I remember. Mouthfeel is a little thin on a sub-medium body. Not a bad beer, just not that inspiring.

4.07/5  rDev +11.2%

Appearance: This one pours a hazy bright yellow color with a generous (1"+) white head.

Smell: Initially the aroma is pretty lemony. As the head fades, the aroma turns to more banana and spice. Very inviting.

Taste: Good here, some of the lemon flavors come through, but there is more spice in the taste.

Mouthfeel: This one is decent in the mouth, but not as good as some other Hefes.

Drinkability: With a good flavor and lower ABV, this is a beer you could while away the afternoon with.

This is quite a tasty beer as are all of Summit's seasonals. Recommended.

3.73/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pale yellow/golden color. The head is very small for a hefe. The aroma is quite pleasing. Juicy banana, bread. A very nice smelling hefe. The taste is refreshing. It starts out juicy, but has a mild metalic aftertaste that leaves a bad impression. Mouthfeel is creamy with nice carbonation. Overall, this is a decent hefe that stays close to style. If not for the aftertaste this would be a really good brew.

3.68/5  rDev +0.5%

Blurry maize with sun-faded lemon accents. The soft, fluffy, barely off-white cap has just enough stickiness to leave gentle ribbons of sea foam lace on the glass. There's nothing overly special about the appearance, but it looks good to me. That's all that matters.

The nose can't hold a candle to the best of the style. It's wheaty soft and gently grain-like. While I can't appreciate much fruitiness, I do notice clove-like notes that I would love to see play a more prominent role.

Summit Hefe is a decent domestic version of this classically German style. The banana and clove esters could stand to be more vivid. I like a lot of banana with a slightly more restrained clove character in my hefe weizens. This one doesn't quite fit that profile.

It's modestly sweet initially, fading to much less sweet on the finish. A soft, creamy, mouth pleasing mouthfeel was a wonderful surprise. This beer strikes me as a classic summer session beer that would be great in the right circumstances. A great picnic beer?

Summit Hefe Weizen is a solid effort from a brewery that I'm gaining respect for. Since I have access to a few of the great German hefes weizens, I have no real need for this one. I still like it, even though it's a (slightly darker than) pale imitation of the real thing.

Summit Hefe Weizen from Summit Brewing Company