Summit Hefe Weizen | Summit Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Added by ADR on 05-31-2002

Reviews: 129 | Ratings: 182
1.18/5  rDev -67.7%

I received a bottle of this from tavernjef (thanks!). But, something was terribly wrong. This beer was absolutely horrible. The 3/8" of yeast sitting in the bottom may be a clue, but the first sip was putrid - like vomit. I spit it out, looked it over, and tried another sip. Poured the rest down the drain. The worst tasting fermented garbage I have ever had. I had to wash my mouth out with Scope to get rid of the taste. Looking at the other reviews, I got a bad bottle or something.

3.71/5  rDev +1.6%

A: Bright gold with moderate carbonation, light color.

S: So-so in the scent department. Smell banana nut bread, but has a somewhat strange scent in the background that is not as pleasant.

T: Good taste, banana, wheat and some malt. Tastes far better than it smells.

M: Light and lively. It is lighter than you'd expect (some may call it a bit weak). I like the mouthfeel on a hot summer day, but may be a little disappointed otherwise.

O: A good, solid beer. Debating a 4.0 or 3.5 for this, but it is so easy to drink and doesn't leave any bad aftertaste that is earns a 4.0. Not anywhere as hoppy as many of Summit's creations, which is a relief when one needs a light summery, local brew.

3.47/5  rDev -4.9%

A - Nice golden yellow color, thin head that stays on top while drinking. Not cloudy at all.
S - Definitely banana clove with a little yeast.
T - Tastes more like a wheat than a hefeweizen. I prefer my hefes to have a little more banana.
M - Too much carbonation at first, settled down about half way through the glass.
D - I could throw these back all night. But I only have two...so I guess I'm out of luck.

Overall, a nice beer, not spectacular and not the best of Summit's lineup. I'd go with the extra pale first.

3.68/5  rDev +0.8%

This beer poured a nice cloudy amber to tan in color. There was a nice head on top of this beer, but there was little to no lace from the beer. The aroma was primarily of cloves with a banana and other esters also noticeable. The taste gives way to a heavy clove with citrus and fruits. Even though this is not very full-bodied, it is highly drinkable. I consider this more of an American Wheat than a German Hefeweizen.

4.37/5  rDev +19.7%

Had this beer at the MSP airport during a layover. I tried Summit's Red Ale, Lager and this beer - by far this was the best. I shouldn't have tried it last because I would have ordered more before my plane departed.

Great clean flavor and very refreshing. I would absolutely buy this if it was available in my area.

3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

Had on tap at the Summit brewery. Can't get better than drinking at the source.
A: Nice looking hefe - pours a cloudy gold with creamy white head.
S: Subtle maltiness with hints of banana, citrus, and clove.
T: Nice wheat flavor with a bit of yeastiness and fruit.
M: Good, but a little thin. (A common complaint I have about Summit brews)
D: Very drinkable. Decent, but not great, American hefeweizen.

3.57/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured into a pint glass.

A- straw colored with big head and lacing on the glass

S-bananas, cloves, vanilla

T- sweet, banana flavor with clove/peppery finish. smooth.

M- thin

O- solid beer. nothing special but definitely one that will hit the spot on a hot day.

3.48/5  rDev -4.7%

Not a big hefe wizen fan, but I pulled this from a Summit variety pack. Color is a nice golden yellow. Flavor is complex but nicely balanced with the typical banana/spice you would expect from this style. Overall a little heavy and not as refreshing, but a well rounded entry and a must try for any hefe weizen fan.

1.92/5  rDev -47.4%

Flowery hefe; what can i say - tastes like dishsoap to me.

A: Golden color with a thick head

S: Smells soapy; not a good start.

T: Tastes soapy. Very flowery (not bitter hops, but flowers) flavor to it. Not sure if that is a fermentation issue or the hops, but i feel like im drinking Palmolive.

M: SG 1.015 maybe? Medium carbonation.

D: The taste really throws me off, so hard to judge. Seems like the gravity and mouthfeel is fine, so probably drinkable if you like floiwery beers.

Summit Hefe Weizen from Summit Brewing Company