Summit Dunkel Weizen | Summit Brewing Company

Added by bsp77 on 03-06-2012

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 53 | Ratings: 122
3.84/5  rDev +1.1%

I picked up a 6 pack from Byerly’s in Minnetonka.

Appearance --- a hazy golden-brownish (pretty much honey) in color with about 1 finger worth of a light off-white head with a tint of yellow, with a minimal amount of suds left lacing the glass while drinking.

Smell --- not much with the scent, a bit of banana and wheat

Taste --- banana, bread, malts

Mouth feel --- fairly light, minimal bitterness

Overall --- I am not a big fan of wheat beers, but am a fan of Summit’s take on the dunkel weizen. I think I would be a bit more excited about it, if it did not have as similar characteristics as the hefeweizen they recently axed from their lineup. I would love for this one to become a spring or fall seasonal, especially since I like this one and have little use for their Maibock. But with all of the recent changes to their lineup, I doubt additional change will happen. It is a shame, because I really enjoyed this one. If there are any around, I highly suggest sneaking in a taste of this before the new Unchained comes out and replaces this one.

4.38/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Serving glass: poured from bottle into weizen glass

Appearance: Medium thick, off-white head, good retention, cloudy burnt orange color, pretty good lacing

Smell: biscuity, some caramel, hints of clove, bubblegum, banana

Taste: fruity up front (the banana comes through more here than in the nose) followed by bready, caramel malt. Slightly hoppier than most dunkelweizens---a little bit of a bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light mouthfeel, expected more carbonation. Dry finish is unexpected, but in a good way.

Overall: As a bit of a dunkelweizen snob (my first introduction to one was the world-class Weihenstephaner version) I think I went in with low expectations. And I was so wrong! This is yet another Unchained Series brew done right. Great representation of style. Great transition beer between late winter and early spring, though I’m finding myself enjoying it just as much in May. My only regret is that this is a limited edition beer. I’d much prefer Summit add this to their seasonal rotation for the spring, replacing the Maibock.

4.88/5  rDev +28.4%

Beer: Summit Dunkel Weizen

Appearance: It has a very attractive dark golden/amber color when held up to the light. The head is thicker towards the sides and thins towards the middle. When it's poured into a pint glass it's a very good looking beer.

Smell: It smells very good with hints of roasted malt.

Taste: The taste is fantastic. It has a nice wheat base with malt flavor body and touch of sweetness that has layers that taste like caramel, chocolate and toffee. Very nice mixture.

Mouthfeel: Incredidibly smooth with a clean finish.

Overall: Originally this wasn't supposed to be released in bottles until the week of the 19th but I stumbled across this early release at The Four Firkins. They told me the Brewmaster said to release early and I couldn't be happier! This is a fantastic and well thought out beer and recommend everyone give it a try. I'm so happy Summit came out with this but I am disappointed that it's part of their Unchained Series and won't be around for long...

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last