Summit Dunkel Weizen | Summit Brewing Company

Style: Dunkelweizen

Added by bsp77 on 03-06-2012

3.8

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

I love a good Dunkel Weizen. Will I love this one? Good question…

Clouded, burgundy hued, soft purple, I'll call it, under a vast, voluminous head of off-white, pillowy foam. Looks fantastic.

Aroma: clove and banana hit first, followed by some darker fruit, grape, berry, melon. Light spiciness, deep fruitiness, gorgeous wheat character. Ever so ever so.

Taste: Slides into the mouth assuredly, with the full wheat flavor, mixed with the classic Bavarian yeast, the fruit, the spice, the refreshment. So tasty, and so easy to drink, layers of complexity, and a heck of a lot of yum.

It takes a minute or two, but eventually it turns to dry, after a little bit of sweet. You have to get past that for a minute, but not I, I am partial to this flavor, and drink it up with all delight. Great wheat texture, smooth, silky, and, mmm. Mmm, mmm, mmm.

Another good one in the Unchained Series. Haven't had much to complain about, yet. Doing good, Summit.

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

3.45/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Unchained #9

Pours a layer of beige tan head. Sticks around for a while. Color is a hazed dark golden bronze. Rustic looking.

Aroma: Bananas, chocolate, cloves, and other spices. A touch of caramel sweetness.

Taste: More sweetness to start things out. Caramel and bananas. Cloves, chocolate, and just a hint of roasted malts.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy. Light to medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Ends a little dry.

Overall, this was a decent beer. Not my favorite rendition of they style, but definitely drinkable.

3.62/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

5/13/2012

A: Murky orange tinged brown with half an inch of jaundice cream that bubbles into nothing after minute.

S: Baked bread melds with clove and banana esters. Lesser notes of bubblegum accompany wheat and touch of citrus. There's just a hint of vanilla.

T: Rich bready malt notes with strong clove and an even blend of banana and bubblegum. I get a little pear and a dash of orange.

M: Medium body with upper medium carbonation.

Overall: A pretty nice Dunkelweizen, though a little heavy on the clove for me.

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

3.3/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle pour in to Chimay small goblet. Rather dark amber color, minimal head.

Nose of over-ripe banana and bubblegum. A hint of yeast. Smooth entry - slight, citric bite. Yeah,slight. A rather easy drinker. Not much banana/clove here - more dunkel than weizen. Nothing wrong here, just not full or deep, without complexity.

Rather smooth and light for style.

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

4.38/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Serving glass: poured from bottle into weizen glass

Appearance: Medium thick, off-white head, good retention, cloudy burnt orange color, pretty good lacing

Smell: biscuity, some caramel, hints of clove, bubblegum, banana

Taste: fruity up front (the banana comes through more here than in the nose) followed by bready, caramel malt. Slightly hoppier than most dunkelweizens---a little bit of a bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light mouthfeel, expected more carbonation. Dry finish is unexpected, but in a good way.

Overall: As a bit of a dunkelweizen snob (my first introduction to one was the world-class Weihenstephaner version) I think I went in with low expectations. And I was so wrong! This is yet another Unchained Series brew done right. Great representation of style. Great transition beer between late winter and early spring, though I’m finding myself enjoying it just as much in May. My only regret is that this is a limited edition beer. I’d much prefer Summit add this to their seasonal rotation for the spring, replacing the Maibock.

3.28/5  rDev -13.7%

Poured into a snifter. Very slightly hazy and dark amber with a rich head. Good retention and lacing. Fruity as well as phenolic notes, and plenty of sweetness in the aroma. Bready notes as well. Taste is a little unexpected after the aroma... doesn't really taste as 'German wheat beer' as it smelled. Clean, too clean. Some sweetness as well as some bitterness with only hints of esters. Mouthfeel is smooth, and the beer drinks easy.

4, 3.5, 3, 4, 3

3.51/5  rDev -7.6%

12oz bottle, pours a cloudy light brownish-orange. Huge frothy tan head leaves good lacing on the glass and fades to a thin layer of foam atop the ale. Aromas are of wheat, clove, maybe some orange, but seem muted. Tastes are wheat, caramel, clove, banana, faint orange. Mouth-feel is full-bodied, creamy, and smooth. Finishes with a tingle on the tongue. Overall, good take on a dunkelweizen, but I think I got my hopes up too high for this one - nobody does a Weisse bier like Germany.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

3.97/5  rDev +4.5%

Served on tap at The Old Mill.
Lighter in color than many for style - more of a cloudy dark golden than a full on brown. Initial fluffy head that settles out a little quick.
Nice fresh and refreshing aroma - banana, clove and the barley malt hanging around.
Refreshing rather clean taste. Similar to aroma, but also holding a slight tartness. A little soft on the barley grain flavors, but clearly still hitting style.
Soft fullness in carbonation. Clean finish.
Nice beer. Would be good anytime and especially with warm weather coming.

3.82/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle says best by 08/16/12 - no problem there. I've been enjoying Summit's one-off series, looking forward to trying this latest one. Poured into my new curvy Surly pint glass (I'm short on weizen glasses).

Pours a hazy medium amber brown. One finger of cream-colored head, decent retention. Slippery lacing needs suspenders.

Smells like a malty hefeweizen. Loads of banana yeast, some rich sweet malts. Spice is there but light, at least in the nose. A bit of chewy bread. I like it, but I want more complexity.

Taste has less banana and more other stuff. More spice (hello, cloves), and more hops than I'd expected, bringing a medium bitterness. Once again, I like it, but I want more depth. And for this style, I want it to be a little less persistently bitter.

Mouthfeel is very nice. Medium-bodied, tingly, and moderately dry. Most of it dries off the tongue, but a bit of the flavor lingers on.

A tasty beer. Nothing about it bowled me over, but I could drink a whole lot of these. And it's a perfect Minnesota spring beer, with those hefeweizen characteristics teasing me about summer, but the darkness and malts I want from my winter brews.

4.09/5  rDev +7.6%

Cloudy caramel color, decent initial head, doesn't last or lace though.

Malt, clove, and banana present in the nose.

Caramel, clove, banana, wheat, bubblegum, malt. Nice blend of flavors.

Mouthfeel a little thin perhaps.

I think this is my favorite of the unchained I've had so far.

Summit Dunkel Weizen from Summit Brewing Company