XPA

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 10 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by heygeebee:
heygeebee from Australia

3.64/5  rDev -5.7%

Hmm - another XPA? The can says 'easy to drink' and it is. Nice and fresh with a nice tropical fruit mix on nose and palate. Hops are there but not there, so it does what it says it does. Flavour does come and go quite quickly. Nicely carbonated for style - and summer.
Tick.
Am I being cynical when I type that? There are a lot of Pale Ales around right now, and the freshness gets this over the line.

Sep 18, 2016
doktorhops from Australia

3.59/5  rDev -7%

I’m on a Balter high after reviewing their new Pilsner and I figured I should give their XPA a look in (even though I first tried it at a bar on Eagle pier Brisbane ages ago when it was first released and I thought the bar staff had incorrectly poured me a schooner of S&W Pacific Ale). Obviously the fact that Scott “I dun work for S&W annimore!” Hargrave is now the head brewer for Stone &... err, Balter, means we can’t cast aspersions all day because: Duh; Balter XPA is basically the same recipe as Pacific Ale. It doesn’t change the fact that a great many people who don’t know why they love S&W Pacific Ale so much will also feel a strange affinity to XPA… but perhaps that was Balter’s plan all along [insert evil laugh here].

Poured from a 375ml can into a nonic pint.

A: Presents a cloudy Gamboge (just another fancy word for orange because I wear some fancy pants) body with a wispy white sea foam head that begins boisterous but ends half-hearted… Balter’s not great with head retention, poor fellas. 6/10.

S: Stone & Fruit… or stone fruit prominent hops, like S&W PA, in fact I can safely copy/paste my comments from my review of Pacific Ale without feeling like I’m cheating: “There's a really strong peach and nectarine aroma wafting from this brew that says "sit down, take a load off, enjoy!".” Yep, like that one, only S&W got there first on the peach/nectarine aroma train, so boo Balter. 8/10.

T: The flavour is pretty much EXACTLY as I remember S&W Pacific Ale to be, to the point that in a blind taste test I would be hard pressed to tell them apart. A light peach/nectarine hop note, sweet malt to balance out the hops with precision, and a finish that hints at tart apple but ultimately finishes dry with a light floral bitterness. Yep, it’s the same f__ken beer Balter, cheeky sods! 7/10.

M: Mid to light, more viscous than PA, but with a similar lively carbonation. 7/10.

D: The only major difference between Balter XPA and S&W PA is vessel size and ABV: 5% vs 4.4%. So the only questions you need to ask yourself is: 375ml can or 330ml bottle? And: Do I need to drive anywhere afterwards? To me this is a wasted opportunity of a beer. Yes I get that S&W is the most popular craft beer and when I worked in the bottle-o it outsold the shit out of every other craft beer - what craft brewer wouldn’t want a slice of that sweet sweet money pie? However Hargrave could have used this opportunity not to rest on his laurels but create an even better Pale Ale… instead now his laurels are crushed underbody. 7/10.

Food match: Tapas or Greek cuisine as I said in my S&W PA review.

Feb 02, 2017

Mikexw from New York

Dec 01, 2017
Andrewharemza from Australia

3.6/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From can pours a hazey golden colour with a film of head that disapates to a small ring.
Aroma fruity, fresh
Taste pretty much follows the nose of tropical fruits. Very easy drinking.

Dec 21, 2016
RMW66 from Australia

Jul 01, 2017
Andylaugh from New Mexico

The fiat IPA I ever tried and it was so good. Bursting with citrus aromas and hops. Lovely golden colour. A delight

Sep 14, 2017
pin from Australia

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

Oct 05, 2019
James7363

Probably the best tasting xpa in Australia.Smooth,aromatic and more on the hoppy side.It is worth every penny.

Apr 25, 2020
XPA from Balter Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 85 out of 100 with 10 ratings