Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Hofbräu Munich Weizen | Hofbräuhaus Newport

Hofbräuhaus Newport
Kentucky, United States
hofbrauhausnewport.com

Style: Hefeweizen

Rich, fairly sweet Old-Style wheat beer with a wonderful combination of banana and clove flavors.

Added by Bierguy5 on 08-15-2004

4.35/5  rDev +17.3%

Looks like I'm rating this a bit higher than most. This is one of my favorites, actually. I don't find it quite as good as the Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse, but it's still a great beer. I think the color is very good for this type of brew. I don't place as much importance to how long the head lasts as other beer drinkers...I'm more into the flavor and drinkability. Overall this is not the very best beer I've had, but it's still pretty darn good. I think it's also a good buy for the price. Still one of my favs.

4.24/5  rDev +14.3%

A - Extremely cloudy, lightly carbonated, golden in color. Hazy.

S - Typical Hefe (Banana, Spice.) Though this Hefe does not seem as pronounced. Considering I somewhat dislike the banana bomb smell it was a very pleasent surprise. Very unique.

T - What can I say- I really like it! Quite frankly, I think this Hefe may be in my top 5.

M - Full bodied at the front of the mouth but deceptively thin at the finish.

D - For a Hefe I'd say this one rates very high on the drinkability scale.

If you want a Hefe that is not too overpowering then this is the one for you.

4.08/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.05/5  rDev +9.2%

Really enjoyed this beer. Drinkability allowed me to easily finish the larger size. Appearance was expected, as was mouthfeel.

Slight aromas complimented the light flavor for a Hefeweizen.

Went well with tillapia and would seemingly compliment most foods.

4.02/5  rDev +8.4%

I had this on tab at the Hofbrauhaus Newport in a .5L Weizen glass. There was a wedge of lemon in the glass, which I didn't really like. I wish that they would have put it on the rim of the glass instead. The color was a bright cloudy yellow. Even with the lemon floating in my glass (before I fished it out) there was about 2 good fingers of head, and a good amount of lace left on the glass. The smell is a good fruity aroma, you can smell a lemon scent even without the actual lemon. The taste is a little bit of lemon/citrus with more malt than hops. It is a very refreshing beer. The mouthfeel is a little light, but the drinkability is great. This is a nice summer refresher.

4.02/5  rDev +8.4%

This beer poured a hazy slightly golden yellow color with a small head that fell to coat the top. The nose was nice, iwth a healthy dose of banana and clove. I really like the smell. The flavor was good creamy banana with a nice crisp finish. The feel was good and creamy. Nice body on it. Overall, a very nice clean hefe.

3.97/5  rDev +7%

I had a liter of this for my second beer at the Newport location. Not much of a head but it was in the liter mug. Smelled like your typical wheat but stronger. Bananas, cloves, slight citrus and as someone else mentioned, bubblegum. Couldn't quite put my finger on it until I read that. The beer was thicker than some I have had in the past so I would say medium boddied. A stronger banana flavor than most. I really enjoyed this brew and place it in the top 5 wheats that I have had. I have had this out of the bottle and it is night and day when comparing to what I had on tap. I'd have had another if I could have fit it in my stomach after the sauerbraten.

3.95/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from 11.2 oz. green bottle into a Sam Adams "Perfect Pint" glass.

Appearance: Pours a bright and very hazy golden orange with lots of rising bubbles. Big four fingers of white head with good retention. Leaves some nice lacing around the glass.

Smell: A fairly sweet aroma. Wheat grains, yeast, and bready malts. Hints of banana, hay, bubblegum, lemon, and orange along with a solid bready biscuit presence. A little bit of a clove and pepper like spice. Light noble hops. Also a little bit of that skunk smell from the green bottle.

Taste: Nice bready taste from wheat grains, malts, and yeast. Notes of bananas, lemon, bubblegum, hay, and orange peel. Some light clove spices. Hop presence is very subdued. Moderately sweet taste with some nice fruit esters. Light but solid taste you expect from the style.

Mouthfeel: Fairly light body with a moderate amount of carbonation. Creamy, crisp, and somewhat dry. Very smooth.

Overall: A pretty solid take on the style. Well balanced with some nice esters. Needs to switch to a dark bottle though.

3.95/5  rDev +6.5%

A - Pours out a hazy golden color. About four fingers of fizzy white head. Very little lacing.
S - Smell was very grainy/yeasty, a slight touch of alcohol in the smell.
T - Taste was also grainy, finished with a slight fruity zing to it. Overall, a pretty pleasing taste to it.
M - The beer was pretty smooth, a good amount of carbonation present.
D - I would definitely drink more of these. An excellent summer beer.

3.95/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a light yellow w/ a nice two finger white head. Good carbonation and lacing. Hazy in appearance. Nose is that of banana, clove, wheat, yeast and malt. Very smooth beer. Taste is the same profile as the nose. Very refreshing and drinkable beer. Feel has a smooth/crisp vibe that I didn't care for as much. Overall this is a good beer for the style, and I'd drink it again.

3.92/5  rDev +5.7%

.5L serving in a weizen glass at the brewpub in Newport. Slightly hazed, goldenrod body with a modest snowwhite head. Average retention and some sparse lacing. Aroma is banana and cloves, with some yeast notes. Mouthfeel is light and clean, crisply carbonated. Taste is very nice for style, with banana, cloves, and some vague coriander. Crisp carbonation swirls everything into a refreshing Hefe that is ideal with the platter of wursts from the kitchen. Very much like a good German brewed Hefe.

Hofbräu Munich Weizen from Hofbräuhaus Newport