Hofbräu Munich Weizen | Hofbräuhaus Newport

Hofbräuhaus Newport
Kentucky, United States
hofbrauhausnewport.com

Style: German Hefeweizen

Rich, fairly sweet Old-Style wheat beer with a wonderful combination of banana and clove flavors.

Added by Bierguy5 on 08-15-2004

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
3.97/5  rDev +7.3%

I had a liter of this for my second beer at the Newport location. Not much of a head but it was in the liter mug. Smelled like your typical wheat but stronger. Bananas, cloves, slight citrus and as someone else mentioned, bubblegum. Couldn't quite put my finger on it until I read that. The beer was thicker than some I have had in the past so I would say medium boddied. A stronger banana flavor than most. I really enjoyed this brew and place it in the top 5 wheats that I have had. I have had this out of the bottle and it is night and day when comparing to what I had on tap. I'd have had another if I could have fit it in my stomach after the sauerbraten.

3.92/5  rDev +5.9%

.5L serving in a weizen glass at the brewpub in Newport. Slightly hazed, goldenrod body with a modest snowwhite head. Average retention and some sparse lacing. Aroma is banana and cloves, with some yeast notes. Mouthfeel is light and clean, crisply carbonated. Taste is very nice for style, with banana, cloves, and some vague coriander. Crisp carbonation swirls everything into a refreshing Hefe that is ideal with the platter of wursts from the kitchen. Very much like a good German brewed Hefe.

2.77/5  rDev -25.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tall Boddingtons Pub Ale glass.

No freshness date, I will be possibly re-reviewing this beer in a bottle and from tap, as absolute freshness is the key to good hefe's.

A--A much more golden/honey colored hazy hefe than I've experienced. Thick creamy head 3 fingers stayed almost the whole time and laced the glass with some decent rings.

S--Lots of clove sweetness, not as much bananna as say a Franziskaner, but it's there. I actually got a bit of a pilsner odor...This is why I want to review this on tap--I feel this beer might not be as fresh as it could be.

T--Weak clove, not nearly as wheaty as it smells, bland, not very complex or even dichotomous. I wanted this beer to be good. I bought a six pack and experimented with different serving temps, just never could get it to be anything other than "okay."

M--Finished smooth and clean, just like a refreshing hefe should. The one saving grace of this beer is that it was a pleasure to hold in my mouth and drink slowly.

D--I drink at least one hefe a week which is more than most people I know, but I won't drink more than one in a sitting because the flavor wears my tastebuds out--this one, no matter how bland isn't an exception. Two of these max (bottles) on half litre off the tap would be enough.

O--I really wanted this to be a good beer. I love the Hofbraus beers I especially love their dopplebock, but this one just didnt do it for me. I'll wait till I try it off the tap at the restraunt this weekend and another bottle before I make my final determination. For now...Steering clear going for the Franziskaner and the Breck Hefeproper.

4.35/5  rDev +17.6%

Looks like I'm rating this a bit higher than most. This is one of my favorites, actually. I don't find it quite as good as the Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse, but it's still a great beer. I think the color is very good for this type of brew. I don't place as much importance to how long the head lasts as other beer drinkers...I'm more into the flavor and drinkability. Overall this is not the very best beer I've had, but it's still pretty darn good. I think it's also a good buy for the price. Still one of my favs.

3.53/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A pretty good American Wheat. Quite neutral but present aromas of banannas, cloves, bubblegum, lemon, yeast, and bread. Flavors mimic the aromas. More barley malt adds sweetness and smoothness. Wheat flavors seem a bit muted, but adds the appropriate creaminess. Good proteins and head retention. A good beer for our area. I'll have another.

4.02/5  rDev +8.6%

This beer poured a hazy slightly golden yellow color with a small head that fell to coat the top. The nose was nice, iwth a healthy dose of banana and clove. I really like the smell. The flavor was good creamy banana with a nice crisp finish. The feel was good and creamy. Nice body on it. Overall, a very nice clean hefe.

3.38/5  rDev -8.6%

Had this one on tap at the Hofbrauhaus Newport several times. The beer came with a tall head ... but the lemon on the glass caused the head to fall really fast. Damn fruit on my beer glass. I bet they don't serve it with fruit on the glass in Munich. Anyway. The color was a bright yellow with some cloudiness. The aroma was light, but some banana and clove came through as well as a wheaty/bready note. The flavor seemed really watered down. I really think they "Americanized" this wheat beer. It's ok, but it could be way better. It's somewhat thin and easy to drink, but it's missing something very useful.

4.02/5  rDev +8.6%

I had this on tab at the Hofbrauhaus Newport in a .5L Weizen glass. There was a wedge of lemon in the glass, which I didn't really like. I wish that they would have put it on the rim of the glass instead. The color was a bright cloudy yellow. Even with the lemon floating in my glass (before I fished it out) there was about 2 good fingers of head, and a good amount of lace left on the glass. The smell is a good fruity aroma, you can smell a lemon scent even without the actual lemon. The taste is a little bit of lemon/citrus with more malt than hops. It is a very refreshing beer. The mouthfeel is a little light, but the drinkability is great. This is a nice summer refresher.

3.85/5  rDev +4.1%

A liter of hefeweizen in a biergarden in the summer is a treat. This beer is a great hazy golden color with some orange color to it as well. Nice thick white fluffy head. The head did not remain very long, and there was no lace on the giant mug. Smells typical of a hefeweizen, slight clove and banana. However, here the nose was not very powerful. Taste was nice and tart, without much spice. Light body, highly carbonated and spritzy. Overall, this was a very refreshing beer that was very easy to drink, even a liter at a time. This went very well with the food.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last