Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier | Hofbräuhaus München

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

Ratings: 1,478 |  Reviews: 591

1.46/5  rDev -58.2%

Disgusting, skunky, cheap beer taste.

Photo of
1.48/5  rDev -57.6%

Very excited to try this. Big letdown. This is a very boring beer. It tastes like an American Light Lager, but they have managed a higher ABV.

Appearance is a very light yellow.

There is a near odorless beer. It doesn't smell bad, it just has no aroma. This was less surprising after I tasted it. Extremely light flavor. Same amount of flavor as Coors. Barely discernible hops. Malt flavor is so light it is hard to figure out how they got to 6.3 ABV.

There is no mouthfeel. Water has more mouthfeel. The draft I had was overcarbonated. I let it sit a little bit, and it was very slightly better.

Overall, this is an extremely boring, bland beer.

1.5/5  rDev -57%

1.5/5  rDev -57%

1.6/5  rDev -54.2%

I was very disappointed with this beer, especially since my favorite beer is Hofbrau Dunkel (on tap). I'm not sure if it is because of light/heat damage, but I had to force myself to finish two bottles (the other four went down the drain). The thick carbonated head and citrus smell quickly gave way to pure skunk and bitterness, with a horrible aftertaste. I assume that I just got a bad six-pack. On the brighter side, I'm going to the Hofbrauhaus in Munich in two week's and will try one on tap to give it another chance.

1.63/5  rDev -53.3%

Very light straw color; crystal clear. A little too light for my expectations. Very impressive white head. Also, it leaves nice lace on the glass.

Aw, nuts, this beer has skunked. (Rant ahead) Why do beer companies put beers (especially exports to USA) in green bottles? I took a chance knowing that it was a new offering, but still it is ruined.

The taste reflects the skunking. Sorry guys, you deserve this score. I'll give it a shot, anyway. I'm surprised to see that this is an ale, which is not true to style. I'm pleased to report that it does have a crisp mouthfeel with a full body. It has some hops and I'm sure when it was fresh that it was more pronounce.

Unfortunately, under it's current state, it's really undrinkable.

1.65/5  rDev -52.7%

Had this right after the Berkshire Oktoberfest, which may have negatively affected my scoring on this one.

Poured a pale yellow into a liter mug. Not appealing in the least, especially after so many other Oktoberfest beers are gorgeous deep browns and oranges. The color of this beer does not make me want to drink it?

The smell was so weak that I couldn't discern notes of much of anything from it.

Tasted and felt watery and bland. Slight bitter aftertaste, but not in a pleasant way. I struggled to finish this beer. Also, no malt?

I will have to try this again as the first beer of the night some time. If I do, I will re-review. But, I don't think I'll actively seek this out.

1.7/5  rDev -51.3%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

1.75/5  rDev -49.9%

1.75/5  rDev -49.9%

1.8/5  rDev -48.4%

It is unbelievable how light colored this oktoberfest is. I've had close to 20 ofests this year and nothing comes close to being this light. It's a pale, pale straw color. Reminds me of a braggot I had last winter. This beer smells light-struck because it is. It comes in a green bottle. Skunky smell. There is no resemblence of a ofest in taste either. There's some of that skunky taste. And after cutting through that, it tastes more like a light lager than an Ofest. The skunkiness isn't overwhelming, thus I gave the drinkability the highest rating of the 5 categories, a 2.5. Not recommended.

1.84/5  rDev -47.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: A very light golden, surprisingly light. Lots and lots of streamers feeding a thin, white, foamy head. Some lacing, despite the thin head.

S: Ugh. BMC scents--corn, wheat, unsourced bitter smells. No center, no fullness. Smells bad, really bad--not skunked, just bad. Freshness code is L152F 0939, so if this sucker is really old, please disregard. I haven't seen any issues of "held" O-fests around here, though, so I doubt it's a freshness issue.

T: This tastes like Miller High Life. Bland, over-carbonated, corn-flavored water. There's little to no complexity in the malt character at all, no disparate flavors, no hop quality at all. A thin abomination. Really just awful. I would have actually preferred High Life.

M: Light, unnoticeable, watery and weak. I'm so disappointed.

D: Rare drain pour. Could have finished it--it was merely insipid rather than offensive--but I'd much rather spend my time on something else.

1.86/5  rDev -46.7%

Yeah, don't like Ofest beers that look like Lite. Hoppy, weak mouth, nice abv. Best thing in my belly!

1.91/5  rDev -45.3%

A - Poured into a pint glass with small head, very little retention and a slightly county pale straw color

S - Combination of malt and skunk. Very similar to Beck's

T - Some nut, some malt, the same skunk that was in the aroma.

M - Smooth, but can't really get too interested.

Overall, if you're contemplating picking this up, save a couple bucks and buy Heinekin or Beck's. This is almost dead on Beck's.

1.92/5  rDev -45%

Wow, this is a Marzen? It looks slightly heavier than Coors light. It seriously smells like shandy; no wheat or caramel I'm upset. A Marzen brewed in Germany and its puss water; I feel ripped off. Taste is not bad; it's like Stella but compared to an Oktoberfest, it's shit. How is this a Marzen?

A-Pours a crystal clear golden color with a finger of white head.

S-The slightest hint of cracker-like malt with slight aroma of herbal hops.

T-Bitter, herbal hops with a very minimal light malt backing.

M-Very light bodied, too much carbonation, and none of the sticky, slick feel of a nice marzen.

D-A very disappointing example of the style. I think this might be mis-classified because of the Oktoberfest branding.

2.01/5  rDev -42.4%

Appearance: Pours a clear pale golden color with a very modest head; not much lacing, either

Smell: Skunky aroma - what would you expect from a green bottle?

Taste: The initial malt flavor, which is not bad, makes way for the skunky aspects, with a lager twang, to boot; overall, this does not taste much like an Oktoberfest after the initial moments

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: I hate to say it but this is an abomination of the style; steer clear

2.02/5  rDev -42.1%

A: Light golden pour with a thin white head. It came in a green bottle which I somehow failed to notice when I bought. That's worrying.

S: Smells of light damage. Light, lagery scent. Grains apparent.

T: Overcomes the light damage at first, but that skunkiness is in the aftertaste. Darn. Light bread and grain start it off, though, and a little bit of malt. Tastes like a lot of other green-bottled lagers out of Europe. I'm starting to prefer American-style Oktobers. At least out of bottles.

M: Light, crisp mouthfeel. Fairly carbonated, though some of it sticks around on the palate.

D: Pretty much a one and done. Might be better out of a tap, but I won't be taking this out of a bottle again.

Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier from Hofbräuhaus München