Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier | Hofbräuhaus München

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

Ratings: 1,478 |  Reviews: 591
2.04/5  rDev -41.5%

Reviewed 10/4/2008 (Bottle @ Stag's Head):

Pours a body that is a very clear yellow color, extremely pale yellow, with a foamy white colored head, lasting-ish. Has a malty aroma, nutty almost grass-like. Malty taste, nutty, lawn-like. Some fizziness. Not very good.

2.06/5  rDev -41%

I poured this one against my better judgment. I normally NEVER drink anything out of a green bottle but I took a leap of faith. It pours a watery piss, straw yellow with a light white head. It smells just like Coors Light. The taste isn't quite as bad, but it's not very good. It's got very little character and is slightly sweet, as if they poored honey into a lager. The mouthfeel is very light and crisp. It has good carbonation. Overall this is a very poor Oktoberfest and not very drinkable. I expect better from Hofbrau.

2.07/5  rDev -40.7%

A: Very good for a light larger. Golden, clear, puffy creamy head that slowly fades into the still waters. Not as amber as most Octoberfest beers is one slight.

S: Weak hint of musty noble German hops. And that is it.

T: It got worse. The taste has a nice effervescence to it but the malt character is minimal and the hops are only slightly more present. I hate to criticize one of the Big Six Octoberfest brewers but this just seems all wrong. It's only saving grace is that is not overtly offensive. I would be hard pressed to pick this over Bud or MGB although the water is of high quality

M: The carbonation is very pleasing to the mouth (unlike the above mentioned US macros). The carbonation lasts enough.

D: If you are on a quest to consume all the Octoberfest beer you can get your hands on this fall (my personal goal), then by all means drink away. If you are looking for a good beer, pass it over.

2.07/5  rDev -40.7%

Pours a surprisingly pale orangey yellow topped by an ample, rocky white head that laces and retains wonderfully.

It smells like a pint of Stella Artois that is sitting on a table in another room. Floral. Sweet. Skunky. But it's subtle and somewhat artificial.

The taste is very Czech pilsner. Sweet biscuity malt against floral, grassy hops with something approaching lemon rind in the finish. Some breadiness creeps in as things go along as does some corn. It's not quite awful, but it's close.

It's a medium mouthfeel, well carbonated and yeah. Not bad in this regard I suppose.

I was excited to see the LCBO offering an Oktoberfestbier, but it turns out they didn't. At least, to me this beer has more in common with the myriad of generic Euro lagers they already carry--light struck skunkiness and all--than any of the Oktoberfestbier I have ever had.

Huge disappointment.

2.09/5  rDev -40.1%

pours bright clear golden yellow with a 2 finger fizzy white head that faded to a film and left some spotted lacing

smells just like a german pils?? light grains and lemon citus hops

taste - where is the toasted malts?(did they forget to do that) again tastes just like a normal pils - very disappointing

mouthfeel is light/medium body with good carbonation but not the medium to full body i am expecting

drinkability is not good if you are wanting an marzen on a cool fall night

i dont know whats going on but this is the second german oktoberfest i have had tonight that has not been as good as SA interpretation

2.1/5  rDev -39.8%

Pours a lame, non-oktoberfest pale, Americanized-like urine straw yellow, with foamy white head about half a finger thick. Decent retention, solid lacing. I wanted this to have a darker appearance.

Boring, grainy and weak aromas, no hop presence, light on malts. Very grassy. Not impressed.

Stupid grainy taste, very little malts, no hop areas at all. Thin body with heavy carbonation.

The supposed 6.3% ABV is about all this is good for. Oktoberfest-Marzen my butt, this really just a pale lager, and not very good.

2.1/5  rDev -39.8%

Hmmm... mine came in a green bottle and was slightly skunky. I'm pretty sure somebody poured a heineken or red stripe into this hofbrau bottle, b/c that is exactly what it tasted like. Nothing like an Oktoberfest/Marzen I've had before.. Looks and smells like a pale lager. Some yeastiness, some light malt and faint bitterness, and while not offensive aside from the light skunking, this is a horrible example of the style and not worth getting at all.

2.1/5  rDev -39.8%

Crystal clear straw yellow with a short white cap of fine bubbles. Spotty lacing, decent head retention. My first impression is not very good -- this looks way too light in colour for a proper Oktoberfest. Very mild aroma, grainy malt, very faint toast and bread, hint of grassy hops. The flavour was similarly disappointing. The bitterness was alright, on the light side but with good presence, but the malt character was very thin and echoed the aroma. Slightly fruity, but mild flavour overall. The texture was decent, medium to light bodied with moderate carbonation and not overly dry. While I had no problem drinking a bottle of this, it's a poor marzen.

2.13/5  rDev -39%

A-served in a stein this one has much less color than most-definitely more golden than amber. The white head quickly is gone leaving hints of lace on the glass.
S-not a lot going on here-very light on the sweet malt, very pale
T-same as aroma
M-fairly clean finish, otherwise pretty average across the board
O-Really surprised that even on tap this one has some hints of skunk. One of my least favorite marzens

2.16/5  rDev -38.1%

Jezuz F-ine Christopherson, another Oktober in a green bottle!? What is going on Germany?

Hofbrau Oktoberfestbier is a deep gold colored beer, very clear, small white head, a bit of lace. The nose has a distracting amount of skunk in it, topping a bland pale lager scent. The taste has me shaking my head, more skunk, a bit of a nicer malt profile than the Spaten, but not by much. Ugh, what the fuck Germany?

2.17/5  rDev -37.8%

Green bottle...can't wait. Hoping it wasn't sunked, but alas no such luck. Moderate amount of skunkiness in the aroma with some malt background. The skunkiness came over in the flavor too. Would like to try this from the tap in Germany as I think it would be a really great beer if it was packaged better.

2.22/5  rDev -36.4%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass

A: Pours single finger head that dissipates quickly, leaving little foam on top. A golden honey color.

S: Very grainy, almost sour even.

T: Sour and leafy tasting. Almost makes your chin pucker half way through if you drink it too fast.

M: Lightly carbonated, extremely smooth, goes down effortlessly. Clean and dry finish.

O: My first Marzen, so I don't really have anything to compare it to. However, not really what I was expecting from an Okotoberfest beer (weak in my mind). One plus I will give it is that it wouldn't be bad for a long, all-day drinking session, as it wouldn't be hard to put many of these away.

2.25/5  rDev -35.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.25/5  rDev -35.5%

pale straw in color, no head and no lace. euro skunk aroma with very little head and no lace. this is an o-fest? seems more like mass produced euro-crap with a hint of some munich malt. this is not a bad beer in general but an abomination of an o-fest. in fact it tastes nothing like an o-fest. i'd have trouble discerning between this most other euro lagers. nothing special.

2.26/5  rDev -35.2%

A - Crystal clear pale, looks like a pilsner. Paper thin head not great lacing.

S/T - Faint pilsner malt, virtually no hop. Very little going on. Completely lacking in any malt complexity you'd expect from an Oktoberfest.

M - Medium bodied, creamy, still refreshing.

O - Almost feel that I got a mislabeled bottle, but reading other reviews it appears that this is just an extremely poor example of the style. Completely off in color, malt complexity. Nothing wrong if it were categorized as a pale lager, but this is just not an Oktoberfest.

2.28/5  rDev -34.7%

This is no Oktoberfest Bier. It pours a straw yellow with a quick disappearing head. The aroma was a mix of flowery hops, some dry crackers and a bit of toffee. The body was thin with little mouth feel. The tast was the same as the body, thin, slightly sweet with just a tinge of dry bitterness at the end. This so-called Oktoberfest Bier was, in other words, just a normal Industrial Euro-Lager with an Oktoberfest label.

2.3/5  rDev -34.1%

In which world this is an oktoberfest I do not know.

Pours a brilliant gold with an eggshell white head, which leaves a few streaks of lace as it settles to a collar. Lazy bubbles rise to the surface before bursting into free air. No dark coloured o-fest here, more of a helles or pils than anything, but moving on.

The aroma is grassy, and one would say, almost skunky. Its hard to tell whether this is intentional or a result of the green bottle, but either way its how the beer arrived to me (green bottles be damned). Beyond the grassiness there is a robust maltiness to be found, but we're still far removed from the nose of your regular oktoberfest.

The clincher is the taste. Serve me this blind and I'd say it was a decent Czech Pils. Give it to me in the context of an Oktoberfest and I'd ask whether your joking. A strong grassiness overlays sweet pale malts. The finish is sweet and mildly bready. The body is medium light with carbonation at about the same level, but at this point the beer has already lost the plot and been derailed by its pure inability to carry the style off.

For some reason I imagined that Hofbrau's Oktoberfest would have been one of the greats for the style, but I'm sadly disappointed. This was crap.

2.39/5  rDev -31.5%

Octoberfest: Say the word and you probably think of lederhosen, big parties with communal tables, beer girls dressed in traditional garb, and a brew like this. I sure did so when I saw this available via the single bottle, I figured that this would be a great brew to enjoy the season with, even if I couldn't get to a real event like those in Germany attend every year. Like so many others on here, I was let down by this beer from the moment I poured it out. I know that Marzens aren't the highest rated brews on here, but I do expect an imported offering like this to have some taste, body, and drinkability to it!

Light pour to this was a good head and lacing that was better than expected. Those were the best aspects of this beer as the aroma was practically nonexistent and the head faded fairly quickly. Marzen's tend to be a bit thin in the mouthfeel for me but even this didn't match up to my less-than-lofty expectations. There was straw, grass, and floral notes to this beer but I couldn't wonder how much of the taste had to do with the green bottle. Sure enough, this tasted skunked as soon as I took a sip and because this hadn't been on the shelf that long, I think that spoke more about the beer than the presentation of it. Further tasting of this led me to wonder what style it was, since it reminded me of an Adjunct Lager in every aspect. The filler seemed less than up to standards and the aftertaste was sour enough to beg for a chaser - any type that would alleviate the lingering and uneasy bitterness.

I have no idea how something this bad could be so strong in the alcohol department. This is not the kind of beer I would want to get drunk on and even though the carbonation didn't detract from the taste, this wasn't something that I could down very quickly. Maybe I'm not up to snuff on my appreciation of this style but after seeing how low this was rated on here, I'm thinking that this beer is about a big a letdown as they get.

Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier from Hofbräuhaus München