Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier | Hofbräuhaus München

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

3.4

Ratings: 1,408 |  Reviews: 575
2.39/5  rDev -29.7%

Octoberfest: Say the word and you probably think of lederhosen, big parties with communal tables, beer girls dressed in traditional garb, and a brew like this. I sure did so when I saw this available via the single bottle, I figured that this would be a great brew to enjoy the season with, even if I couldn't get to a real event like those in Germany attend every year. Like so many others on here, I was let down by this beer from the moment I poured it out. I know that Marzens aren't the highest rated brews on here, but I do expect an imported offering like this to have some taste, body, and drinkability to it!

Light pour to this was a good head and lacing that was better than expected. Those were the best aspects of this beer as the aroma was practically nonexistent and the head faded fairly quickly. Marzen's tend to be a bit thin in the mouthfeel for me but even this didn't match up to my less-than-lofty expectations. There was straw, grass, and floral notes to this beer but I couldn't wonder how much of the taste had to do with the green bottle. Sure enough, this tasted skunked as soon as I took a sip and because this hadn't been on the shelf that long, I think that spoke more about the beer than the presentation of it. Further tasting of this led me to wonder what style it was, since it reminded me of an Adjunct Lager in every aspect. The filler seemed less than up to standards and the aftertaste was sour enough to beg for a chaser - any type that would alleviate the lingering and uneasy bitterness.

I have no idea how something this bad could be so strong in the alcohol department. This is not the kind of beer I would want to get drunk on and even though the carbonation didn't detract from the taste, this wasn't something that I could down very quickly. Maybe I'm not up to snuff on my appreciation of this style but after seeing how low this was rated on here, I'm thinking that this beer is about a big a letdown as they get.

2.4/5  rDev -29.4%

Appearance: Thick white head about 1 inch, yellow/gold color. Clear.
Smell: Hops, grassy and perhaps slightly acidic.
Taste: Hoppy / bitter at first but then more malty and definitely semi-sweet. The two tastes (sweetness and bitterness… or was it acidity?) didn’t seem to complement but rather… fight each other in an “unbalanced” / weird short of way. As if both were there but without any willingness to work together
Mouthfeel: First feel, at the tip of the tongue, is rather sharp, but then it gets smoother. Overall medium body.
Drinkability: The more I got down to it the less I liked it. Maybe it had gone bad, although the expiration date was still 3-4 months away.

2.41/5  rDev -29.1%

500 ml bottle from LCBO.

Pours a crystal clear light amber, fizzy white head forms and quickly disappears down to almost nothing, no lace on the glass, looks a little light in colour for a marzen.

Smell is very light, kind of fruity, a bit of skunk, honey, almost no malt presence, light bit of grassy and floral hops but almost no aroma going on.

Taste is slightly better but still not very good, some sweet malts, caramel and honey, a bit of biscuit, some floral and grass, lightly skunky, has a funny metallic finish to it, hard to describe but this isn't very good either.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, slightly syrupy feeling, medium carbonation. Flavour is a little better but still not a very good marzen. 0 for 2 tonight it looks like.

2.41/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Scent of somewhat sweet malt and mild spicy hops. Taste of the same sweet malt, corn and a bit of a metallic flavor on the finish. Bland and thin bodied.

2.43/5  rDev -28.5%

A-Pours a clear golden with less than a finger width of head and nice lacing on the glass.
S-A little funky, a little skunky and strangely a little hefe like (or I should say light).
T-Liquified cut grass is about as close as I can get with a sweet malty finish and woody oakey afternotes.
M-Medium bodied and moderately carbontated.
D-Maybe it's me, maybe I'm not a fan of Oktoberfest beers, maybe this is just not a good example of this beer. I was just not all that impressed with this brew.

2.45/5  rDev -27.9%

I don't know how this beer maintains a B+ average. This isn't a Märzen, it's just a lager. I guess this is the kind of Oktoberfest beer a Heineken drinker would consider a seasonal brew, but for the avid drinker this isn't the type of Märzen one expects. I don't recommend this beer for Oktoberfest, but it's not a bad beer by any means.

2.46/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours golden into a pint glass with the head disappearing so quickly that I didn't have a chance to notice it's qualities. Smells a bit of skunk at first then some grains. Taste redeems the beer somewhat after the lackluster effort in the looks and smell department. You get some grains, bolder than expected malts and some yeast with a little honey sweetness as it goes down. Not your typical Oktoberfest, but might make for a good summer session beer to replace a less tasty lager that you've become bored with. Then again, it might not.

2.46/5  rDev -27.6%

It poured nearly crystal clear with a slightly yellow tinge. It had a nice level of activity and a frothy three finger head that receded and left a nice lacing on the stein.

It smelled slightly malty and slightly hoppy. There was an undertone of a lesser ingrediant that was used to brew the beer, perhaps corn or rice.

It had a well balanced but lite taste of malt and hops. It really had no body and was a bit watery. For a moment I thought I was drinking an American Macro Lager.

I could drink this all night. No body, no flavor, to texture. Carbinated water mixed with alcohol. However I do not believe this to be a good representation of this style.

2.48/5  rDev -27.1%

Draft pour into a Hofbrau branded mug - this one was definitely over the 0.5 liter line. God I love Magoun's. Reviewed from notes.

Looks quite different from any oktoberfest I've ever seen; as the bartender was pouring my mug, I had to check twice to make sure she'd selected the correct tap. Pours a pale yellow that's quite clear, almost like an adjunct lager. A frothy, one-finger white head tops it off.

From smell alone this is quite reminiscent of a pilsner, though I would if that perception is just psychomatic. There is a very clear grassy, earthy hop aroma alongside what seems to be pilsner malt. A touch of pepper and spice reminds me of what style of beer I'm drinking.

The taste is surpsingly sweetness, almost to the point of being cloying and overpowering. There's a very clean bready, biscuit character to the malt bill that's actually quite refrshing, but that saccharine sweetness obscures it almost entirely. The hop profile from the aroma seems almost entirely absent in the taste.

Mouthfeel is a little dead, and more carbonation might help this. In any event, I couldn't imagine being able to drink too much of this.

Quite a departure from the style, and an unsuccessful departure at that. The mug, however, is awesome.

2.5/5  rDev -26.5%

Hofbrau Oktoberfestbier brewed by Hofbrauhaus Munchen with an ABV of 6.30% Keep in mind this brew comes out of a green bottle. This brew pours out a nice golden amber color with a nice white head. The smell is skunky with some grains. I''m not big on the smell of this brew. Now for the taste it is skunky with some grains. This brew goes down smooth but you have to get over the skunkyness of this brew. Overall I'm giving this brew a 2.5 out of 5.
If I can find this brew in a can or brown bottle I think it would be a lot better. The skunky smell and taste is the killer of this brew.

look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

On tap poured into a shaker pint.

Appearance
Golden with a tiny white head. Excellent clarity and moderate carbonation.

Nose
Not much here at all. Faint whiffs of bread and cereal grains.

Taste
Hints of bread, cereal grains and Munich malts. A sprinkling of brown sugar. There is a strong off-flavor of green apple or something.

Mouthfeel
Light-medium bodied, crisp, clean and well carbonated.

Overall
Weak.

2.52/5  rDev -25.9%

2.52/5  rDev -25.9%

2.53/5  rDev -25.6%

Poured bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a very pale golden color that is quite clear and has a very small head.

Smell: While it has a slight malt aroma, I found the smell to be rather bland.

Taste: It has a strong kick, but it's not just a bitter kick. It's a little hard to describe and hard to tell if it's really a good thing.

Mouthfeel: Pretty thin, but not too much.

Drinkability: Not the worst thing I've ever had, but it's not something I'm going to get all excited about.

2.54/5  rDev -25.3%

Light copper color. Very little head and no lacing to speak of. Not a great looking beer, frankly.

Smell is syrupy sweet malts, but subdued, not overwhelming.

Taste is sweet malts, a touch cloying.

Low level of carbonation, watery consistency, combined with the sweetness reminds me of a flat soda pop.

I didn't hate this one, but the appearance and mouthfeel left so much to be desired that I don't think I'd get it again.

2.55/5  rDev -25%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

330 ml. green bottle no. L186J-14:18. Sampled on September 8, 2010. It pours a well carbonated pale yellow with a fizzy two-inch thick white head that lingers for a bit but fades away. Aromas of grains and some malts but little else. The taste is a sharp, grainy bitterness much like a pilsener. The experience was unexpected.

2.55/5  rDev -25%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.56/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: A rather tan colored gold for a body that doesn't boast too much in the way of carbonation. The head however was a good solid two fingers that laced and retained modestly.

Smell: Took some warming to come out, but even when it's come out, I would not call it appealing. Grassy with citrus and mixed with light rotten egg smell. I suppose it's not offensive, but still I'm not looking forward to it.

Taste: In a word, bleck as it starts with a very boring and subdued malt character with a hint of clementine. In then shifts to a slight caramel taste that turns to earthy and grassy hops. Not especially bad, but certainly not my cup of tea.

Mouthfeel: Well, it does leave a bit of a caramel and malt aftertaste, that doesn't linger for too long. However the it seems a bit, dry the front and moist in the back of the mouth. That and the carbonation needs a bit of work and doesn't seem to really help bring out many aspects of the beer.

Drinkability: It's going down, it's refreshing and it's sitting well but this is a case where the other factors conspire against the brew. Besides that, I wouldn't say it's all that smooth.

Final Thoughts: As my first Oktoberfest, I am disappointed, to say the least. I was expecting a much fuller and much richer experience. I've had many a bad import lager, and while it is by no means as generic as they are, that doesn't make it good. I'd have to say my biggest problem, is it seems to be unable to decide if it is a sweeter malty beer or a richer hoppy beer. Thumbs down on this one.

2.57/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier from Hofbräuhaus München