Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier | Hofbräuhaus München

3.4

Ratings: 1,410 |  Reviews: 575

3.53/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Beer bottle (50 cl.) purchased from V&B and tasted in 2012.

Appearance : clear yellow color, with white foamy head.
Smell : grass and malty araomas.
Taste & mouthfeel : grassy and light toasted malt flavors, and hoppy finish.
Drinkabililty : an average beer in the German style Oktoberfest.

1.75/5  rDev -48.5%

2.75/5  rDev -19.1%

2.86/5  rDev -15.9%

Hofbräu - Oktoberfest

Brewed and bottled in Munich, Germany. This is another one I've dranken by the barrel over the years. But unlike the Weihenstephaner, I'm dissapointed in this one - at least the first 6-pack I picked up this year. I'm still trying to figure out if it's intentional, or if my beer went skunk - either way, it was suprisingly bitter. It had the very hoppy bitterness that I always dislike in an IPA. My Dad was over last weekend and he commented that this one had the "typical Hofbräu Hause bitter hops taste too. Maybe it's more of an aquired taste? I've been to the actual Hofbräu Hause in Munich probably a dozen times and I've always loved the beer, so I'm not sure what's up here. I will say that poping a few more later in the evening seemed to get much better. Maybe I was letting them breathe more, or maybe the 6.3% ABV was starting to kick in. Maybe it's intentionally bitter to hide the high ABV and I just never noticed before?

This was another crystal clear, blondish-yellow beer. I'm going to try to have to dig up some more of my old pics from Germany, because I remember these being much darker in color too. There are some numbers stamped on the label, but nothing I can discern as a date. In any case I think I'll be passing on this one until I can find my way back to Germany again.

1.5/5  rDev -55.9%

2.75/5  rDev -19.1%

3.28/5  rDev -3.5%

P:  Crystal clear golden body with steaming effervescence and a small thin layer of fading white head.

S:  As expected the nose is full of skunky aroma but does still have faint notes of toasted caramel, canned dog food, subtle spicy hops.

T/M:  Prickly medium body that follows the nose but the flavors are more toasted malts and powdery yeast rather than the overpowering skunk funk in the nose.  Sour apples, and citrus bitterness to compliment the sweet caramel and malt base. Finish is semi dry and clean that lingers apple peels and citrus bitterness.  Subtle lactic acid tartness shows up once warmed.

O:  The smell was pretty awful and I was expecting to hate this buy it turned out the taste was much better than the nose. The flavors worked well together and the mouthfeel was pretty good.

2.17/5  rDev -36.2%

Green bottle...can't wait. Hoping it wasn't sunked, but alas no such luck. Moderate amount of skunkiness in the aroma with some malt background. The skunkiness came over in the flavor too. Would like to try this from the tap in Germany as I think it would be a really great beer if it was packaged better.

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

4.25/5  rDev +25%

4.5/5  rDev +32.4%

2.92/5  rDev -14.1%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a clear medium golden color with a huge thick white head. The head has fantastic retention, eventually fading to give a moderate level of lacing.

Smell – While it looked fantastic, it was not the best smelling. A strong skunky aroma was mixed with some malt, lemon and slightly sweet smell.

Taste – The taste begins of some caramel sweetness with a strong malty backbone. These flavors last the entire of the taste and mix with some lighter citrus flavors as well as a light hop bitterness that comes to the tongue more toward the end of the taste.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is average in terms of its thickness/creaminess with a slightly higher than average carbonation level. The carbonation is actually quite good for the style and makes for one very refreshing feel.

Overall – Nothing too special here. They should ditch the green bottle to get rid of some of the skunky nose. While rather easy drinking, there are definitely better ones out there.

2.5/5  rDev -26.5%

3.77/5  rDev +10.9%

330 mL bottle poured into Weizen

Two finger fast reducing off-white head, dark gold in color, just a little cloudy and pale than what I was expecting.

Smells: Wet grain, slight skunk, and malt

Taste: Grassy, malt, bread, and boozy finish

Mouthfeel: A little watery, but not too watery.

I am liking these oktoberfest beers. I cannot wait to try more.
My fiancee and I loved it!

Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier from Hofbräuhaus München