Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier | Hofbräuhaus München

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

Reviews: 564 | Ratings: 1,357
4.15/5  rDev +22.4%

Interesting take on the style. Much lighter in color than other German O'Fests. Not much aroma, but traces of malt. Taste was the most interesting item here. Alot more balanced than the usual German O'Fest, which are usually over the top malt. This one is very nicely balanced with some hops in the finish. Mouthfeel was a little thinner than other O'Fests. Good drinkability. I like this one, even though it is not spot on for the style.

3.1/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Fairly dark gold, poured 4 fingers of head which reduced.

Smell - Pretty sweet and malty for a lager.

Taste - Munich malts dominate the taste. The main flaw is that this beer is quite bitter, but does not have the flavour to back it up. The bottle I had was within expiry, but not very fresh.

Mouthfeel - Fairly heavy for the style, low carbonation.

Drinkability - Would be better when fresh.

Overall - Not a good export beer. Although I haven't been to Munich Oktoberfest, I suggest trying it there instead.

3.53/5  rDev +4.1%

Consumed 10/17/2009- from notes.

Green 11.2oz bottle poured into a shaker glass.

A- Very pale gold with a two finger white head that settled to a thick skim that lasted the rest of the glass. Good lacing, pretty active carbination. Definitely the palest Oktoberfest I've had.

S- Sweet, grassy and a touch skunky.

T- Floral, light fruits, a little hop bite at the end. Virtually no aftertaste.

M- Light body, smooth and crisp.

D- Very easily sessionable. Makes me wish I had picked up a six instead of a single.

3 finger white head sits atop a clear golden brew.

Smells like a light clean sweet with hints of some hop profile.

Tastes very clean. Hits with a nice spiciness that subdues into a lager taste, bit of pils, that's easy drinking. Has a nice light crisp sweetness to it.

Highly drinkable like water. Light body.

Easy to drink. Probably wouldn't get again, maybe if I was at an oktoberfest celebration. Agree with review below about the girl on 6 pack cover...

2.88/5  rDev -15%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A--Pours a decent two and a half finger frothy snow-white head that lasted pretty well and left some lacing. Body=do what now? This is the color of Budweiser, whih is to say pale goldenrod. Much, much lighter than I thought it would be, and than the style I thought dictated. Oh well.

S--Mostly sweetly alcoholic with hints of corn, pretty much a cloying astringency on the nose. I couldn't detect any hops.

T--Um, huh? I don't get it--this tastes like a slightly more hoppy, less watery MGD to me. Lots of corn and rice without much of a toast or roast in the malt coming through. The six pack tells me this was brewed under the German purity law, but I taste Crispix up front and throughout. Finishes clean and crisp with a hint of hop bitterness, but really, the complexity here is almost nil. Lots of sweet with the alcohol peeking through toward the end.

M--Thicker than an American macro, and less carbonated. Less metallic, too, though the generic flavor suggests this was made in steel tanks the size of Eastern Iowa. Actually the mouthfeel wasn't too bad, though thinner than I would expect for the style.

D--Well, yeah, I could polish off more than my fair share of these, but for about half the price I could have about the same experience with what I can find around the corner at a Bodega.

I paid ten bucks for six of these? Oh well, it's better than Corona.

2.02/5  rDev -40.4%

A: Light golden pour with a thin white head. It came in a green bottle which I somehow failed to notice when I bought. That's worrying.

S: Smells of light damage. Light, lagery scent. Grains apparent.

T: Overcomes the light damage at first, but that skunkiness is in the aftertaste. Darn. Light bread and grain start it off, though, and a little bit of malt. Tastes like a lot of other green-bottled lagers out of Europe. I'm starting to prefer American-style Oktobers. At least out of bottles.

M: Light, crisp mouthfeel. Fairly carbonated, though some of it sticks around on the palate.

D: Pretty much a one and done. Might be better out of a tap, but I won't be taking this out of a bottle again.

3.13/5  rDev -7.7%

A- Crystal clear light yellow color with a half-inch head that fades quickly and leaves some lacing.

S- Bready/grainy German malts and straw. Little to no hop aroma. I'm having a hard time deciphering the exact fruit I'm smelling, but there's a sweet fruitiness to this beer as well.

T- Starts off sweet then moves to a dry grassiness and finishes off with some noble hops and just a touch of alcohol.

M- Medium feel with just enough carbonation to keep this beer from becoming too insipid.

D/O- Blond Oktoberfest, Munich Helles, or weak Pilsener? By no means is this my favorite O'Fest; there's just too many other great examples out there. I don't see myself revisiting this brew anytime soon. Prost!

2.1/5  rDev -38.1%

Pours a lame, non-oktoberfest pale, Americanized-like urine straw yellow, with foamy white head about half a finger thick. Decent retention, solid lacing. I wanted this to have a darker appearance.

Boring, grainy and weak aromas, no hop presence, light on malts. Very grassy. Not impressed.

Stupid grainy taste, very little malts, no hop areas at all. Thin body with heavy carbonation.

The supposed 6.3% ABV is about all this is good for. Oktoberfest-Marzen my butt, this really just a pale lager, and not very good.

3.31/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2 bottles poured into a big mug.

A - dark straw color. Little to no head.

N - sweet and malty. A little hoppy for a marzen.

T - follows the nose. Malty. More hoppy than your common ofest.

M - not bad. Tangy and slightly fizzy.

O - better than I remember. Good enough. Prost!

3.75/5  rDev +10.6%

A crisp, clean, excellent example of the German Octoberfest style. A lot of these reviews miss the fact that German Octoberfest beers are different from American versions. This beer is excellent to world class, not merely OK.

3.75/5  rDev +10.6%

Hofbräu Munchen Oktoberfest is another one of the beers served at Munich’s Oktoberfest that is available here in the U.S. It comes in a green bottle, which normally isn’t a good sign. The appearance once poured threw me off as well. It was a pale golden color that appeared (and smelled) much more like a pilsner than the more common coppery-hued Fest brews. However, the taste was amazingly complex and enjoyable. It was tangy, with honey sweetness, tea-like tannins providing a contrasting earthiness, and decisively German hops providing a mildly bitter finish. The tiny bubbles of carbonation danced in my mouth, and the result was altogether quite impressive. I can only imagine how much better it would be straight from the tap in Munich.

3.25/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

330 ml (11.2 fl oz) poured into a 0.5ml dimpled stein

A: Pours a light golden color with about an inch and a half of head that quickly fades into a thin ribbon. Thin lacing that readily dissipates. Not very interesting.

S: Mildly boozy smell with a hint of malt.

T: Matches the aroma upfront but quickly fades. Mildly boozy.

M: Carbonation is nearly imperceptible. The combination of smoothness coupled with a very light body borders on the bland side.

O: Nothing to write home about. Quite drinkable but not very memorable beer. Was very excited when I picked this one up but don't think I'll be having any more of these.

2.87/5  rDev -15.3%

Pours yellow with a poor white head. Smells grainy, with a hint of apples, and some skunk is present too. The taste is slightly tart and sweet, with some bitterness, and some skunk and sulphur tones in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is suprisingly heavy, but not extremely so. Drinkability is decent despite it's flaws. Ok, so this is oktoberfest beer, right? This beer would pass for pilsner. Probably a pretty fair pilsner, but oktoberfest? This almost seems like a mix up at the brewery to me. I gotta give low marks, just based on style, not so much because it's a bad beer.

3.44/5  rDev +1.5%

This was an easy drinking refreshing beer - surprising for 6% ABV. However, there was something in the aroma that turned me off a bit. I'm not sure how old the bottle was but I'm hoping it was meant for Oktoberfest 2009. This is more of an average Euro lager than a traditional Oktoberfest style.

It poured a clear yellow straw and gave a big pillowy head. As it receded it left some nice lacing on the sides of the stein and left a consistant surface layer from the good carbonation.

The smell was like a typical lager with some sweeter malt and honey. Unfortunately, there's a corny/peanut character that I wasn't fond about.

The beer goes down smooth enough with a little slickness to give it a nice mouthfeel. It's refreshing and there is no courseness from the alcohol level.

The taste is more prominent in the sweet malt but is balanced enough with hops but low bitterness. There's also a little diacetyl butteriness.

I might try again in case the aroma was not typical. Otherwise a fine summer biergarten session beer - just don't let the 6% add up too fast...

Post review note - looks like the aroma can be a common trait. I'll probably skip this beer in the future

3.23/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was disappointed when I first poured this. Lighter then other Oktoberfest beers that i have had. A dark yellow. Then the smell also seemed a bit skunky. However when I tasted it I was surprised again. It has a nice balance, however not as sweet and malty as some other Oktoberfest beers. Mouthfeel was light, but consistent with the rest of the beer. The drinkability was alright as well. Overall I probably won't seek out this beer again as there are better Marzen out there, mainly Paulaner, and Hacker-Pschorr, but I probably wouldn't turn one down if offered.

3.78/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a golden-yellow with medium-high carbonation. Not much aroma, just a litttle sulfury lager yeast thing going on. Taste is of cracker tasting malt, some hops in the background. Maybe a hint of skunkiness. A little lacking in malt from what I'd expect for the style but not unenjoyable. Kinda like a heavier pilsner with less maltiness.

3.43/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from the bottle into my pilsner glass.

A: Translucent mustardy yellow with a nice fluffy white 2 finger head. Tiny bubbles support the head but it fades to a film pretty rapidly.

S: Big golden malty smell with a touch of sweetness and some mild hopping.

T: Again the taste up front is malty and a bit yeasty, but there's quite a bit of sweetness. Tough to really characterize the sweetness, it doesn't really have a fruity or sugary flavor. Almost like a sweet dough of some sort. The finish is just a tad bitter and very crisp.

MF: Thin bodied but not watery. Decent carbonation bite, but not overpowering. Finish is mostly wet, but there is a tiny bit of dryness from the hops.

D: Very drinkable beer, but not really one of the best oktoberfest beers out there. The flavor is fine but it doesn't seem as dark and rich as a lot of the other beers in the style. Drinks more like a standard lager to me with maybe a bit more sweetness. Would be great for tailgating though.

3.22/5  rDev -5%

Not sure if this is even the right brew. Comparing the bottle pictures, mine is green 11.2oz and the BA picture is a brown bottle. Also on my bottle, it's just called oktoberfest and not oktoberfestbier. However, this is the closest I could find for my review considering most opinions of previous reviewers reflect my own. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

A - Rigorous pour brings out a nice fluffy white head that dissipates pretty quickly. Clear and dark straw colored. Looks a lot like pee. Lacing is pretty much nonexistent.

S - Phew grainy, grassy, and musty. It smells a little skunky but I'm not sure if my brain is just trained to smell that from anything out of a green bottle.

T - Is a little more complex than the smell. My first few sips were harsh when it was pretty cold. It tasted a lot like pale euro lagers. As it warmed, it began to build different flavors. The sharp grainy smell that was putting me off in the beginning is more of a sweet biscuity base. I can start to taste the hops but they are very faint.

M - Light to medium bodied with high carbonation. Carbonation in the beginning was a little much when I had it cold. But after sitting a while it gets to the right level.

O - Not really what I was looking for in a Marzen, but I enjoyed it a bit more as it warmed up. I just had to put myself in a different mindset than the rich malty oktoberfests I had been drinking, and its not that bad. However, I must rate to style, and this one is not a very good showing.

4.18/5  rDev +23.3%

Tried this beer at the Goose Island Oktoberfest Beer Academy. I can see why this beer gets such low ratings - I don't understand, at all, how it can be labelled an O-fest beer. But after I threw this aside, and tasted it not as a particular style, but based on its own generally merits, I loved the beer.

Pours a very light, extremely yellow color (the first clue that something is up with this beer's categorization), with a nice white head and a very large amount of carbonation. The scent is malty and a bit hoppy.

The taste starts out with a nice honey, slightly sweet beginning that moves to an earthy hop finish that lingers for a really long time on my palate. Nothing too sophisticated or complex, but damn is that drinkable and tasty. It's just not an Oktoberfest beer as I know them.

4.4/5  rDev +29.8%

I was fortunate enough to get this beer on tap at Mellow Mushroom in Charlottesville, VA. It came to me with a slight creamy head with dissipated. The color was light golden. The smell was hops and malt with some fruit hints. Taste revealed a good solid malt base with some sweetness and fruity notes. A pleasant bitterness arises in the center of the tongue in the aftertaste. This beer left a good coating on the tongue. Definitely one I'd drink again if I have the chance.

2.28/5  rDev -32.7%

This is no Oktoberfest Bier. It pours a straw yellow with a quick disappearing head. The aroma was a mix of flowery hops, some dry crackers and a bit of toffee. The body was thin with little mouth feel. The tast was the same as the body, thin, slightly sweet with just a tinge of dry bitterness at the end. This so-called Oktoberfest Bier was, in other words, just a normal Industrial Euro-Lager with an Oktoberfest label.

3.85/5  rDev +13.6%

Appearance:
I'm going to have to describe this from "the pour on up." One of the most noticible characteristics is something remniscent of a "cascade" effect. Excellent (3 finger) head formation stays around for a while as carbonation continuously rises - retention and lacing are quite good. The beer is colored a translucent yellow/gold.

Smell:
Malt aromas are very sharp with a hint of citrus tones. I can't discern too much in terms of hoppiness, but there seems to be a mild trace of grass or grain. It's just very fresh overall - like autumn.

Taste:
I'd say that the taste matches the nose pretty well. Maltiness hits quickly and fades into mild bitterness. The aftertaste is slightly bitter and almost buttery. The flavor is pretty nice and actually quite crisp.

Mouthfeel:
Mouthfeel is a bit on the creamy side but not too thick. Slight dryness complements the bitter aftertaste nicely.

Drinkability:
The beer goes down smoothly; as stated above, it's crisp and finishes well. It's a bit too thick to "pound," but I feel like doing so wouldn't allow you to appreciate the flavor as much.

Summary:
For what it's worth, I think this is a great "fall" beer. It's got a nice, full flavor and it's pretty crisp. I don't know how I would describe it as an "Oktoberfest" beer, though. If I recall, I thought those were supposed to be a bit thicker/more dense. That's not the case with this beer, but it's still worth checking out.

3.78/5  rDev +11.5%

a - pilsner yellow. a sudsy head that looks like soap.

s - a touch of skunky hoppiness. note, green bottle.

t - crisp flavors. light malts with that certain oktoberfest-something. not particularly flavorful, though this helps with M/D...

m - thin. not terribly carbonated, which helps.

d - easy...a 6 pack of these could be accidentally consumed. almost like drinking water, comparable to a kolsch.

3.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Much lighter than many other marzens, both in color and in feel. Clear and golden, very carbonated. Smells very grainy and slightly of alcohol. Tastes very crisp, again with a bit of an alcoholic bite, which surprised me. That being said, it is exceedingly "clean" tasting, as others said it is like a very good example of a euro pale lager. Feels fairly light as I said, I could drink several of these without filling up too much. Overall I think it's not what I expected for the style, but still really good.

4.45/5  rDev +31.3%

Color is a very very light straw yellow with about 1 cm of white head that dissipates quickly but it looks pretty good to me. Smell is of hops and a bit of skunk but it's a very minor smell.

Tastes like a lager and goes down very smooth, just as smooth as Bud Light but with flavor that doesn't fizz in your mouth. It's just an outstanding beer to drink easily. It has flavor but it's more of a subdued one and the best comparison I can make would be to a light lager but that isn't fair to this beer since it goes down even smoother than those do and doesn't feel heavy at all. All in all, I wish I had bought more of this beer to store because I'm going to have to wait until next year to buy some more!

Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier from Hofbräuhaus München