Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier | Hofbräuhaus München

3.4
25%

Reviews: 574 | Ratings: 1,394
2.46/5  rDev -27.6%

It poured nearly crystal clear with a slightly yellow tinge. It had a nice level of activity and a frothy three finger head that receded and left a nice lacing on the stein.

It smelled slightly malty and slightly hoppy. There was an undertone of a lesser ingrediant that was used to brew the beer, perhaps corn or rice.

It had a well balanced but lite taste of malt and hops. It really had no body and was a bit watery. For a moment I thought I was drinking an American Macro Lager.

I could drink this all night. No body, no flavor, to texture. Carbinated water mixed with alcohol. However I do not believe this to be a good representation of this style.

3.43/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

on a hardy pour into a pilsner glass.

Appearence- solid golden color with super transparency. white frothy head that leaves barely any lacing. looking like some basic grains but good non the less

Aroma- super basic malt. even tho I don't have a nose with range this smells basic as in cereal grains..maybe biscuity?

Taste- much on the malt side. like I said with the aroma there's a cereal- biscuity action going on. like corn flake water. prob some earthy german hops that don't do sh#t but tame the sweetness from the malt.

Mouthfeel- medium/light in body.

Drinkability- as i'm going on the sixth soon it's not that bad.

Overall- are there better Oktoberfest brews out there? hell yeah. as I was feeling something different and in a lager category this def hit the spot. I could see any bud and miller fans attempting to take the training wheels off accepting this brew.

3.47/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I got a 5 liter mini-keg for $10.99 so I'm not complaining too much. Good beer, not exceptional but solid. Pretty thin appearance for a fest beer - gold like a lager. Smells of caramel mostly and a bit toasty, cookie dough, malty, spicy. Tastes of vanilla, caramel, slight hops, alcohol is hardly noteceable, even though 6.3 is relatively strong. Mouthfeel is very smooth and creamy with a spiky finish. This is treating me right. I don't get any off flavors. Not the best Oktoberfest ever made, but in the class of very good beer.

3.35/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured a clear yellow with a frothy white head. Color was very light for an Oktoberfest; seemed to be more of the helles-ish variety of this style. Aroma was primarily hops and skunkiness with some malt in the background, but not nearly as much as expected. Still, not bad except for the skunk. Medium body with moderate bitterness and relatively dry. Definitely a Bavarian beer but light on the sweetness. Mouthfeel was lively and well-balanced with things leaning towards the bitter side, but not by much. Drinkability was decent and appropriate for style.

Okay, but not really what I want when picking a Märzen. Seems to be a helles-like beer with a bit of additional bitterness and hop flavor. The malt does come out a bit as it warms, though, but it still needs more.

3.3/5  rDev -2.9%

Out of a green bottle it pours a golden, straw-like color that is more reminisant of a macro lager (Heinieken or Pabst) has a quick disappearing head. Smells grassy, not malty, like a summer lawn mower beer. Unfortunatly, I can already smell the skunkiness from the light polution. This taste more like a Macro German lager than a Marzen. Comparing this to other O'fest (Hacker, Spaten, Paulaner) this is weak. Has some hop to it, but little sweetness. Mouthfell is fair. High carbonation, leaves the palate dry. Overall as an O'fest I am not a fan. As a lager, this is not bad. This is a high quality lawn mower beer. I'll atribute some of the faults to the green bottle, hoping this is better on tap. Not my first or even second choice as a Marzen.

3.03/5  rDev -10.9%

Hofbrau O'fest, draft

A Golden color clear, looks a lot like the original. Good thick head, lasted the whole glass. A little lighter than I would expect for an Oktoberfest beer. 3.5

S Not a lot to aroma here, perhaps the absence of aroma is more telling than the presence. There are no aroma faults to note, it is crisp and clean. There may be some hop, but it's tough to tell. Lacks a big malt aroma that should be there for this style, however there is a touch of malty breadiness if you really concentrate. 3

T A little sweet is the predominant flavor. Hops show up more assertively here than on the nose. Not off-putting, but also not spectacular. A well heeled mild mannered beer. There is some malty sweetness on the finish that gets to be too much toward the end of the glass. Not appropriate for an O'fest and should be drier. 3

M light body, thin, good carbonation. 3

O This a beer worth having, but like all Hofbrau beers I'm left thinking it could have been so much better. It simply lacks character. More malt, more hops, more body...give me something! 3

4.15/5  rDev +22.1%

Interesting take on the style. Much lighter in color than other German O'Fests. Not much aroma, but traces of malt. Taste was the most interesting item here. Alot more balanced than the usual German O'Fest, which are usually over the top malt. This one is very nicely balanced with some hops in the finish. Mouthfeel was a little thinner than other O'Fests. Good drinkability. I like this one, even though it is not spot on for the style.

3.1/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Fairly dark gold, poured 4 fingers of head which reduced.

Smell - Pretty sweet and malty for a lager.

Taste - Munich malts dominate the taste. The main flaw is that this beer is quite bitter, but does not have the flavour to back it up. The bottle I had was within expiry, but not very fresh.

Mouthfeel - Fairly heavy for the style, low carbonation.

Drinkability - Would be better when fresh.

Overall - Not a good export beer. Although I haven't been to Munich Oktoberfest, I suggest trying it there instead.

3.53/5  rDev +3.8%

Consumed 10/17/2009- from notes.

Green 11.2oz bottle poured into a shaker glass.

A- Very pale gold with a two finger white head that settled to a thick skim that lasted the rest of the glass. Good lacing, pretty active carbination. Definitely the palest Oktoberfest I've had.

S- Sweet, grassy and a touch skunky.

T- Floral, light fruits, a little hop bite at the end. Virtually no aftertaste.

M- Light body, smooth and crisp.

D- Very easily sessionable. Makes me wish I had picked up a six instead of a single.

3 finger white head sits atop a clear golden brew.

Smells like a light clean sweet with hints of some hop profile.

Tastes very clean. Hits with a nice spiciness that subdues into a lager taste, bit of pils, that's easy drinking. Has a nice light crisp sweetness to it.

Highly drinkable like water. Light body.

Easy to drink. Probably wouldn't get again, maybe if I was at an oktoberfest celebration. Agree with review below about the girl on 6 pack cover...

2.88/5  rDev -15.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A--Pours a decent two and a half finger frothy snow-white head that lasted pretty well and left some lacing. Body=do what now? This is the color of Budweiser, whih is to say pale goldenrod. Much, much lighter than I thought it would be, and than the style I thought dictated. Oh well.

S--Mostly sweetly alcoholic with hints of corn, pretty much a cloying astringency on the nose. I couldn't detect any hops.

T--Um, huh? I don't get it--this tastes like a slightly more hoppy, less watery MGD to me. Lots of corn and rice without much of a toast or roast in the malt coming through. The six pack tells me this was brewed under the German purity law, but I taste Crispix up front and throughout. Finishes clean and crisp with a hint of hop bitterness, but really, the complexity here is almost nil. Lots of sweet with the alcohol peeking through toward the end.

M--Thicker than an American macro, and less carbonated. Less metallic, too, though the generic flavor suggests this was made in steel tanks the size of Eastern Iowa. Actually the mouthfeel wasn't too bad, though thinner than I would expect for the style.

D--Well, yeah, I could polish off more than my fair share of these, but for about half the price I could have about the same experience with what I can find around the corner at a Bodega.

I paid ten bucks for six of these? Oh well, it's better than Corona.

2.02/5  rDev -40.6%

A: Light golden pour with a thin white head. It came in a green bottle which I somehow failed to notice when I bought. That's worrying.

S: Smells of light damage. Light, lagery scent. Grains apparent.

T: Overcomes the light damage at first, but that skunkiness is in the aftertaste. Darn. Light bread and grain start it off, though, and a little bit of malt. Tastes like a lot of other green-bottled lagers out of Europe. I'm starting to prefer American-style Oktobers. At least out of bottles.

M: Light, crisp mouthfeel. Fairly carbonated, though some of it sticks around on the palate.

D: Pretty much a one and done. Might be better out of a tap, but I won't be taking this out of a bottle again.

3.13/5  rDev -7.9%

A- Crystal clear light yellow color with a half-inch head that fades quickly and leaves some lacing.

S- Bready/grainy German malts and straw. Little to no hop aroma. I'm having a hard time deciphering the exact fruit I'm smelling, but there's a sweet fruitiness to this beer as well.

T- Starts off sweet then moves to a dry grassiness and finishes off with some noble hops and just a touch of alcohol.

M- Medium feel with just enough carbonation to keep this beer from becoming too insipid.

D/O- Blond Oktoberfest, Munich Helles, or weak Pilsener? By no means is this my favorite O'Fest; there's just too many other great examples out there. I don't see myself revisiting this brew anytime soon. Prost!

2.1/5  rDev -38.2%

Pours a lame, non-oktoberfest pale, Americanized-like urine straw yellow, with foamy white head about half a finger thick. Decent retention, solid lacing. I wanted this to have a darker appearance.

Boring, grainy and weak aromas, no hop presence, light on malts. Very grassy. Not impressed.

Stupid grainy taste, very little malts, no hop areas at all. Thin body with heavy carbonation.

The supposed 6.3% ABV is about all this is good for. Oktoberfest-Marzen my butt, this really just a pale lager, and not very good.

3.31/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2 bottles poured into a big mug.

A - dark straw color. Little to no head.

N - sweet and malty. A little hoppy for a marzen.

T - follows the nose. Malty. More hoppy than your common ofest.

M - not bad. Tangy and slightly fizzy.

O - better than I remember. Good enough. Prost!

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

A crisp, clean, excellent example of the German Octoberfest style. A lot of these reviews miss the fact that German Octoberfest beers are different from American versions. This beer is excellent to world class, not merely OK.

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

Hofbräu Munchen Oktoberfest is another one of the beers served at Munich’s Oktoberfest that is available here in the U.S. It comes in a green bottle, which normally isn’t a good sign. The appearance once poured threw me off as well. It was a pale golden color that appeared (and smelled) much more like a pilsner than the more common coppery-hued Fest brews. However, the taste was amazingly complex and enjoyable. It was tangy, with honey sweetness, tea-like tannins providing a contrasting earthiness, and decisively German hops providing a mildly bitter finish. The tiny bubbles of carbonation danced in my mouth, and the result was altogether quite impressive. I can only imagine how much better it would be straight from the tap in Munich.

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

330 ml (11.2 fl oz) poured into a 0.5ml dimpled stein

A: Pours a light golden color with about an inch and a half of head that quickly fades into a thin ribbon. Thin lacing that readily dissipates. Not very interesting.

S: Mildly boozy smell with a hint of malt.

T: Matches the aroma upfront but quickly fades. Mildly boozy.

M: Carbonation is nearly imperceptible. The combination of smoothness coupled with a very light body borders on the bland side.

O: Nothing to write home about. Quite drinkable but not very memorable beer. Was very excited when I picked this one up but don't think I'll be having any more of these.

3.93/5  rDev +15.6%

Much lighter than many other marzens, both in color and in feel. Clear and golden, very carbonated. Smells very grainy and slightly of alcohol. Tastes very crisp, again with a bit of an alcoholic bite, which surprised me. That being said, it is exceedingly "clean" tasting, as others said it is like a very good example of a euro pale lager. Feels fairly light as I said, I could drink several of these without filling up too much. Overall I think it's not what I expected for the style, but still really good.

2.87/5  rDev -15.6%

Pours yellow with a poor white head. Smells grainy, with a hint of apples, and some skunk is present too. The taste is slightly tart and sweet, with some bitterness, and some skunk and sulphur tones in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is suprisingly heavy, but not extremely so. Drinkability is decent despite it's flaws. Ok, so this is oktoberfest beer, right? This beer would pass for pilsner. Probably a pretty fair pilsner, but oktoberfest? This almost seems like a mix up at the brewery to me. I gotta give low marks, just based on style, not so much because it's a bad beer.

3.44/5  rDev +1.2%

This was an easy drinking refreshing beer - surprising for 6% ABV. However, there was something in the aroma that turned me off a bit. I'm not sure how old the bottle was but I'm hoping it was meant for Oktoberfest 2009. This is more of an average Euro lager than a traditional Oktoberfest style.

It poured a clear yellow straw and gave a big pillowy head. As it receded it left some nice lacing on the sides of the stein and left a consistant surface layer from the good carbonation.

The smell was like a typical lager with some sweeter malt and honey. Unfortunately, there's a corny/peanut character that I wasn't fond about.

The beer goes down smooth enough with a little slickness to give it a nice mouthfeel. It's refreshing and there is no courseness from the alcohol level.

The taste is more prominent in the sweet malt but is balanced enough with hops but low bitterness. There's also a little diacetyl butteriness.

I might try again in case the aroma was not typical. Otherwise a fine summer biergarten session beer - just don't let the 6% add up too fast...

Post review note - looks like the aroma can be a common trait. I'll probably skip this beer in the future

3.78/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a golden-yellow with medium-high carbonation. Not much aroma, just a litttle sulfury lager yeast thing going on. Taste is of cracker tasting malt, some hops in the background. Maybe a hint of skunkiness. A little lacking in malt from what I'd expect for the style but not unenjoyable. Kinda like a heavier pilsner with less maltiness.

3.23/5  rDev -5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was disappointed when I first poured this. Lighter then other Oktoberfest beers that i have had. A dark yellow. Then the smell also seemed a bit skunky. However when I tasted it I was surprised again. It has a nice balance, however not as sweet and malty as some other Oktoberfest beers. Mouthfeel was light, but consistent with the rest of the beer. The drinkability was alright as well. Overall I probably won't seek out this beer again as there are better Marzen out there, mainly Paulaner, and Hacker-Pschorr, but I probably wouldn't turn one down if offered.

3.48/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Clear pale golden-straw, lightly carbonated, 3/4 inch creamy white head, receding at a moderate pace, leaving a little lacing just above the head as it recedes that follows the head down. Pleasant fruity aroma, some bread, some apricot. The label says this is an ale; the mouth feel is what you would expect from an ordinary lager. Mild malty flavor, not sweet at all, little bittering detectable in either the initial taste, the middle, or the finish. The finish is relatively clean, but slightly clinging. An easy-drinking beer that could be enjoyed throughout the evening at an Oktoberfest beer hall, but also a simple beer without much complexity.

3.43/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured from the bottle into my pilsner glass.

A: Translucent mustardy yellow with a nice fluffy white 2 finger head. Tiny bubbles support the head but it fades to a film pretty rapidly.

S: Big golden malty smell with a touch of sweetness and some mild hopping.

T: Again the taste up front is malty and a bit yeasty, but there's quite a bit of sweetness. Tough to really characterize the sweetness, it doesn't really have a fruity or sugary flavor. Almost like a sweet dough of some sort. The finish is just a tad bitter and very crisp.

MF: Thin bodied but not watery. Decent carbonation bite, but not overpowering. Finish is mostly wet, but there is a tiny bit of dryness from the hops.

D: Very drinkable beer, but not really one of the best oktoberfest beers out there. The flavor is fine but it doesn't seem as dark and rich as a lot of the other beers in the style. Drinks more like a standard lager to me with maybe a bit more sweetness. Would be great for tailgating though.

Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier from Hofbräuhaus München