Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier | Hofbräuhaus München

3.4
25%

Reviews: 574 | Ratings: 1,394
3.22/5  rDev -5.3%

Not sure if this is even the right brew. Comparing the bottle pictures, mine is green 11.2oz and the BA picture is a brown bottle. Also on my bottle, it's just called oktoberfest and not oktoberfestbier. However, this is the closest I could find for my review considering most opinions of previous reviewers reflect my own. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

A - Rigorous pour brings out a nice fluffy white head that dissipates pretty quickly. Clear and dark straw colored. Looks a lot like pee. Lacing is pretty much nonexistent.

S - Phew grainy, grassy, and musty. It smells a little skunky but I'm not sure if my brain is just trained to smell that from anything out of a green bottle.

T - Is a little more complex than the smell. My first few sips were harsh when it was pretty cold. It tasted a lot like pale euro lagers. As it warmed, it began to build different flavors. The sharp grainy smell that was putting me off in the beginning is more of a sweet biscuity base. I can start to taste the hops but they are very faint.

M - Light to medium bodied with high carbonation. Carbonation in the beginning was a little much when I had it cold. But after sitting a while it gets to the right level.

O - Not really what I was looking for in a Marzen, but I enjoyed it a bit more as it warmed up. I just had to put myself in a different mindset than the rich malty oktoberfests I had been drinking, and its not that bad. However, I must rate to style, and this one is not a very good showing.

4.18/5  rDev +22.9%

Tried this beer at the Goose Island Oktoberfest Beer Academy. I can see why this beer gets such low ratings - I don't understand, at all, how it can be labelled an O-fest beer. But after I threw this aside, and tasted it not as a particular style, but based on its own generally merits, I loved the beer.

Pours a very light, extremely yellow color (the first clue that something is up with this beer's categorization), with a nice white head and a very large amount of carbonation. The scent is malty and a bit hoppy.

The taste starts out with a nice honey, slightly sweet beginning that moves to an earthy hop finish that lingers for a really long time on my palate. Nothing too sophisticated or complex, but damn is that drinkable and tasty. It's just not an Oktoberfest beer as I know them.

4.4/5  rDev +29.4%

I was fortunate enough to get this beer on tap at Mellow Mushroom in Charlottesville, VA. It came to me with a slight creamy head with dissipated. The color was light golden. The smell was hops and malt with some fruit hints. Taste revealed a good solid malt base with some sweetness and fruity notes. A pleasant bitterness arises in the center of the tongue in the aftertaste. This beer left a good coating on the tongue. Definitely one I'd drink again if I have the chance.

2.28/5  rDev -32.9%

This is no Oktoberfest Bier. It pours a straw yellow with a quick disappearing head. The aroma was a mix of flowery hops, some dry crackers and a bit of toffee. The body was thin with little mouth feel. The tast was the same as the body, thin, slightly sweet with just a tinge of dry bitterness at the end. This so-called Oktoberfest Bier was, in other words, just a normal Industrial Euro-Lager with an Oktoberfest label.

3.85/5  rDev +13.2%

Appearance:
I'm going to have to describe this from "the pour on up." One of the most noticible characteristics is something remniscent of a "cascade" effect. Excellent (3 finger) head formation stays around for a while as carbonation continuously rises - retention and lacing are quite good. The beer is colored a translucent yellow/gold.

Smell:
Malt aromas are very sharp with a hint of citrus tones. I can't discern too much in terms of hoppiness, but there seems to be a mild trace of grass or grain. It's just very fresh overall - like autumn.

Taste:
I'd say that the taste matches the nose pretty well. Maltiness hits quickly and fades into mild bitterness. The aftertaste is slightly bitter and almost buttery. The flavor is pretty nice and actually quite crisp.

Mouthfeel:
Mouthfeel is a bit on the creamy side but not too thick. Slight dryness complements the bitter aftertaste nicely.

Drinkability:
The beer goes down smoothly; as stated above, it's crisp and finishes well. It's a bit too thick to "pound," but I feel like doing so wouldn't allow you to appreciate the flavor as much.

Summary:
For what it's worth, I think this is a great "fall" beer. It's got a nice, full flavor and it's pretty crisp. I don't know how I would describe it as an "Oktoberfest" beer, though. If I recall, I thought those were supposed to be a bit thicker/more dense. That's not the case with this beer, but it's still worth checking out.

3.78/5  rDev +11.2%

a - pilsner yellow. a sudsy head that looks like soap.

s - a touch of skunky hoppiness. note, green bottle.

t - crisp flavors. light malts with that certain oktoberfest-something. not particularly flavorful, though this helps with M/D...

m - thin. not terribly carbonated, which helps.

d - easy...a 6 pack of these could be accidentally consumed. almost like drinking water, comparable to a kolsch.

4.45/5  rDev +30.9%

Color is a very very light straw yellow with about 1 cm of white head that dissipates quickly but it looks pretty good to me. Smell is of hops and a bit of skunk but it's a very minor smell.

Tastes like a lager and goes down very smooth, just as smooth as Bud Light but with flavor that doesn't fizz in your mouth. It's just an outstanding beer to drink easily. It has flavor but it's more of a subdued one and the best comparison I can make would be to a light lager but that isn't fair to this beer since it goes down even smoother than those do and doesn't feel heavy at all. All in all, I wish I had bought more of this beer to store because I'm going to have to wait until next year to buy some more!

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

I gave this a 3.75 the other day and I now see it shows as a 5.
Maybe it was the extra alcohol - which wasnt very noticable - it was very drinkable, but too much carbonation (in spite of a very agressive pouring with a huge head). I do like the hoppiness though. Will try review properly next time.

2.4/5  rDev -29.4%

Appearance: Thick white head about 1 inch, yellow/gold color. Clear.
Smell: Hops, grassy and perhaps slightly acidic.
Taste: Hoppy / bitter at first but then more malty and definitely semi-sweet. The two tastes (sweetness and bitterness… or was it acidity?) didn’t seem to complement but rather… fight each other in an “unbalanced” / weird short of way. As if both were there but without any willingness to work together
Mouthfeel: First feel, at the tip of the tongue, is rather sharp, but then it gets smoother. Overall medium body.
Drinkability: The more I got down to it the less I liked it. Maybe it had gone bad, although the expiration date was still 3-4 months away.

4.1/5  rDev +20.6%

A golden and clear appearance with a good but frail head; good lacing.

Smells very malty: grainy and fresh, yet sweet and full. A fruity orange-like note pops up every now and again. Hop presence is quite strong fot the style.

Flavour is dominantly malty and rather sweet at that. After a short while, the flavour mellows out and becomes dry and slightly bitter. Alcohol is quite evident at this point too. A beautiful and very complex after-taste and again a nice hoppy touch to the whole beer.

Mouthfeel is good, but maybe just a bit too strongly carbonated. Body is medium.

A nice malty lager, a little less "festive" than I expected.

3.08/5  rDev -9.4%

A - Pours straw yellow with a one finger head that quickly dissipates to a minimal cap and sticky lacing.

S - Bread and light citrus, not a lot of depth.

T - Sweet caramel at first, becoming more bready on the swallow. A mild fruitiness mixed in as well. Almost indiscernible bitterness in the aftertaste.

M - Medium body and carbonation, crisp as well.

O - A pretty disappointing Marzen overall, light on aroma and flavor. Needs some bolder toasted malt and nuttiness added to really give it that Oktoberfest charm. There are better beers of the style out there that make this one not even worth trying.

4.32/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Me and my brother got a 5 Liter pony keg from a Total Wine in Virginia. We enthusiastically tapped it with the integrated taps and began gulping it down soon after. It was dispensed into clear glass mugs that gave justice to its clarity and color.

Look: The most clear and beautiful beer I have ever encountered. It pours an astounding gilded amber gold color with a smooth white head that perches atop the brew like a royal crown. When held to the light there are beautiful tendrils of light that dance on the wall mystically. It casts a golden hue reminiscent of the setting sun, with a clarity that mocks the finest of diamonds. Amber itself is mocked by this beer's amazing appearance.

Smell: The malt-forward aroma bursts from the glass, yielding a plethora of honey like aromas that represent the excellence of the brew itself. At first I perceive an unfiltered honey aroma with flourishes of grassy noble hops which were undoubtedly used in the brewing of this beer. The smell provokes thoughts of festivity and joy.

Taste: An upfront rush of honey and sunshine are followed by a backbone of delicate grassy noble hops. Well balanced yet somewhat sweet, this beer sports a laundry list of malty deliciousness which is best enjoyed with the company of good friends.

Feel: Crisp, smooth, refreshing, juicy, and mildly dry with a bony end and succulent beginning. At the end of each enjoyable gulp this beer begs you to take another drink. An overall refreshing and quenching beer that really is made for festivals.

Overall: Yet another literally shining example of the excellence of Hofbrau. They really know how to brew an excellent beer. They use centuries old yeast and know-how that invariably results in masterpiece after masterpiece. This particular example is best enjoyed in the company of friends, with an easy of drink ability that is unsurpassed worldwide.

3.17/5  rDev -6.8%

Sorry, I just can't get into this. First of all, this beer is colored like a pilsner: light straw yellow. Good head, but I am unimpressed by this un-oktoberfest color. Smells like an unpleasant pilsner at first (mass produced, yuck). At this point I am very disappointed in Hofbrau. However, as it warms, there is some citrus and even a little spice on the nose (cloves?), so I am pleased that there is something interesting going on. Tastes better than it smells, with the smooth citrus, cloves, and at the end, honey. Mouthfeel is quite pleasant, smooth, easy. However, I can't get into this as an oktoberfest. Certainly does not fit the style.

3.33/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle.

The beer is a nice clear straw yellow. It poured a two finger head that did not completely disappear, but left a nice bit of lace on the side of the glass.

The taste is a little more bitter than what I expected from this beer, and left me desiring a little more.

The beer is light on the palate and very drinkable.

3.1/5  rDev -8.8%

12oz bottle into a weizen glass.

Note that this is absolutely definitely NOT a marzen. Not even close. It would appear to be the stuff they actually serve at Oktoberfest, a pale yellow lager somewhere in the Pils/Helles neighborhood. Since it was clearly not intended to be a marzen I have not reviewed it as such.

1.5" white fizzy head over a very clear light golden body.

Aroma is of bread, citrus and herbal hop with a little metallic lager bite.

Flavor begins with some grain and floral herbal hop, a little straw. Slightly balanced to sweet malt. No bad, but finishes with a coarse bitterness.

Light body and high carbonation in standard euro-lager fashion. Overall a pretty boring and inoffensive beer.

2.91/5  rDev -14.4%

Had this on-tap at an Octoberfest in Chicago.

Poured a very pale golden color with minimal head, and left almost no lacing down the side of the glass.

The smell is very slightly citrusy to me, and also a bit of yeast, although I cannot detect much more than that.

Taste is of yeast, and some hops, and a whole bunch of carbonation that probably masks whatever else is in there. Really not very impressed with the taste.

Very carbonated mouthfeel, although it is light-tasting and nothing lingers on the palate after you are done swallowing.

A drinkable beer; certainly not near the best. I would call this mediocre, but a fine beer for an outdoor festival with lots of people milling around. I don't think I would ever consume it at home.

3.62/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

very nice golden color with about a fingers worth of white head and average lacing good carbonation

good aromas of both hops and malt

good taste that is full not to bitter a very good oktoberfest very simple but sometimes simple is the best

good body not to light or to heavy good balance

overall this is a pretty good seasonal beer

4.15/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Straw yellow. Two finger head dissolves to thin bubbly lace.
Very bubbly. Interestingly, when the head dissolved, the aroma all but left.

S - Smells of yeast, bread, grain, floral, metallic.

T - Creamed corn, grain, mild yeasty aftertaste. Pretzel in the middle. Light hop profile. Lightly full of flavor with a solid malty backbone.

M - Moderate body. Crisp carbonation, but balanced by the smoothness of the malt back bone.

D - A top notch drinakle lager. Very crisp, very refreshing. Very intersting. I have fallen in love with this beer. Everything is right where I want it to be. I wouldn't change a thing. Cheers to Oktoberfest!!!

3.98/5  rDev +17.1%

To get into the real spirit of things with this beer I figured why not grill up some Oktoberfest sausages, braise some Savoy cabbage and boil up some nice mash, everything short of polka.

Well now that I had my spread in front of me time to bring my attention to the golden honey coloured Märzen with its froth off white head awaiting my consumption.

The smell was first off very bisucty and bready as I would expect from the amount of malt used in this style. Following were the refreshing, and definitely appropriate for fall, scents of apple and grape. A slight grassy note from the hops rounded out the bouquet nicely.

After a few mouthfuls of my Bavarian platter it was time to see Hofbräu washed down the fine fare of its homeland. A big punch of sweet yet crisp malt initially quenched my thirst with a surprisingly smooth and full mouth feel lingering on to a mild hoppy, alcohol bite in the end. Continuing on with my mini Oktoberfest the head had long since dissipated but the rest remained true to my first impressions getting slightly breadier as it warmed up.

With my stomach full and my thirst quenched id have to say this was a good beer especially along with its atypical food accompaniments. I would have liked it to be a bit darker and maybe a bit more complex malt in the profile but otherwise a decent beer for the style.

3.23/5  rDev -5%

Lays straw gold and pale. Very little head to speak of and no lacing. Smell is perfumy and a bready grain. Taste is light in the malt department with some graininess. There is a good hop spice in there much like a German Pils. It is light on the mouth and light on the flavor for an Octoberfest. Good drinkability. Reminds me of the Weinhenstpehaner I had last week. Good just not what I would consider an Octoberfest.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Appearance: Golden with little head. Looks effervescent...

Smell: Malty, earthy with hints of fresh mown hay

Taste: Yeasty & crisp with solid malty base. Slight hop bite in the finish...

Mouthfeel: Smooth, clean feeling. Light to medium bodied.

Drinkability: Easy drinking. Can see these going down fairly quickly.

Comments: This was an average Oktoberfestbier. I've had many better, but I think a lot of the problem with this one was its freshness. I questioned its freshness, but there was no date on the bottle to tell. I think this would be a much different beer had it been sampled in Munich fresh. By the time it made it to my LBS, it tasted sort of tired....

3.35/5  rDev -1.5%

This was recommended to me as being one of the best but
I felt although its a well rounded lager type ale, it just doesn't
have the characteristics I look forward to in an Oktoberfest style
beer in the fall, that being, caramel malty, darker color, this
I'm somewhat dissapointed with but I try as many beers when I can. The
one high point is it does taste good for a lighter type ale.

3.74/5  rDev +10%

Aroma: Light sulfur. Mild floral aroma.Very clean

Appearance: Pale gold. I know modern Oktoberfests are a lot lighter, but this is more like a light pilsner. Big fluffy white head. Very clear lots of bubbles. Good lacing.

Flavor: Sweet bready flavors dominate. Floral hops add interest to finish. Crisp and refreshing. Medium-low bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Sweet up front but finishes dry. High carbonation. Medium mouthfeel, more than expected from color. Alcohol not noticeable.

Overall: I was turned off by color to begin with, but this turned out to be a pretty tasty beer. Not strong enough to scare away the BMC drinkers, enough flavor to hold the interest of craft drinkers. I still prefer the older darker style Oktoberfests, but I can see easily myself kicking back a few liters of this.

3.7/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured out dark gold in color, almost lite amber, aroma of malt very prevaulent, slight toastiness after warming, some toastiness in flavor with malt being the dominant, distinctive flavor some hop bitterness present but no hop flavor noted to me. Some what sweet after the bitterness subsides. Body medium to high, somewhat creamy, moderate carbonation. The head retention (being the two finger size or what ever the standard pour is) is low but it keeps a skim of head throughout the remainer of the session. Overall it is an one or two beer per session drinkable german amber lager. Recommend off the tap though, had it in Las Vegas at the HofBrauHaus there.

3.19/5  rDev -6.2%

This beer is obviously from the october, november months, but I don't think it should change the taste that much in 3-4 months.

App.-Very light and pilsner looking in appearance. This beer has a nice white foamy lacing.

Smell- Very basic. Light barely malt, a tad bit of hops and a little boozy smell. Not much there.

Taste- Similar to the smell. Sweet pilsner malts dominate throughout most of the drink. Hops come to balance half way through to balance. Barely noticable though.

MF- I am disapointed with a lack of carbonation. Medium mouthfeel that doesn't swim well in the mouth.

Drink- Dry finish. Very quenching. I do not think this should be an octoberfest beer but instead a summer release. It would serve me much better on the hottest of days.

My biggest issue is the price of this beer. I think it cost me about 11.99 or 12.99 (It's rare I forget how much beer costs because money is a big issure for me) I think you can get a much better 6-pack of pils or summer beers for 5 dollars less.

You can skip this one. I'll give this brewery another chance when I have the money because it seems like there could be potential.

Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier from Hofbräuhaus München