Hofbräu Original | Hofbräuhaus München

Liked:
3.8/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,579 |  Reviews: 499

This is my favorite beer

Pure perfection in a bottle

This is my second favorite beer!

I don't think I need to go into specific details here other then I believe this is probably the best Euro style lager ever made. Everything about it is perfect! Incredibly pure beer that is insanely well balanced... All the caveats you'd expect from this type of beer is met with 100% accuracy. It just doesn't get any better the this. At $40.00 per case, it is a bit on the pricey side, BUT it is worth EVERY penny!

One thing to remember though. Unfortunately the brewer, for some stupid reason like many others, decided to package this incredible 'brew' in a green bottle! BOOOOOO!! (man I could write a book about how STUPID this is..) I have noted in some reviews the reviewer noted some 'skunk' in the aroma, worst yet, actually expected such thing as a common reality with many imported beers. This is completely WRONG!!!! Beer should NEVER, ever exude any skunk aroma (thus taste) if it is the beer is bad..PERIOD. Even the slightest bit of skunk in the smell, no matter how slight, is evidence that it is been light struck and is ruined. Don't drink it. If it's skunk, it's junk... and will not taste the way it is suppose to.

SO...if you do buy this beer ensure the six pack came out of a fresh, completely enclosed case in where light has no chance of spoiling this beer. I just buy this stuff a case at a time and leave it in the box completely closed, and only open the box briefly to remove it a bottle at a time.

I honestly wish Hofbrau, like many other fine brewers, would offer this beer in half liter cans, or at the very least, start packaging them in brown bottles. I will just NEVER understand the stupidity of going through all the effort and expense to make such a fine brew, and then package it in a container that will spoil it before a customer can enjoy it!!! Talking about shooting oneself in the foot before a foot race!!!! WTH??

4.96/5  rDev +30.5%

4.95/5  rDev +30.3%

Love this beer. I get it on tap at a really good local German restaurant, usually by the 1L. stein. When I can, I also by a couple 500ml bottles at my local major liquor store. In glass, has a great golden color and a huge head, which eventually settles down. Aroma has a nice smooth malt note. Taste is clean, while having an excellent malt and hop balance, and goes great with whatever German dish I'm having at the time (or is good just on it's own). I can't comment on the 12 oz. green glass bottles (the 500 mls are brown). I've read bad reviews for that serving, but can't comment on them as I just prefer having it on tap thru the restaurant. I bet this one is even better in Germany.

4.92/5  rDev +29.5%

Oh man, why don't brewers in America believe in decoction mashing? This beer is a beauty . . . light and smooth with a pleasant hop boquet. This beer makes me fall in love with beer all over again. Honestly, I ask you, what more could you want in a beer? Simply wonderful.

Hofbräu Original from Hofbräuhaus München