Hofbräu Original | Hofbräuhaus München

hofbraeuhaus.de

Style: Munich Helles Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-19-2002

Ratings: 1,556 |  Reviews: 495

Amara tutto tondo, retrogusto sgradevole

1.25/5  rDev -67%

1.5/5  rDev -60.4%

1.75/5  rDev -53.8%

I was looking forward to trying this German beer. Afterward? Over rated. The green bottle gives this beer a poor taste that smacks of sour. The aftertaste was unappealing. The smell was not so appetizing and got worse as the beer warmed. I looked all over for the brown bottle that I see on the website, but it is nowhere to be found. Pass this one by in the store and go get a German beer that you have a history of liking.

2.09/5  rDev -44.9%

Something was dreadfully wrong with the bottle I had. The beer looked okay, bright and gold with a fine head, but the smell was off putting and there was a dreadful, metallic overtone to the taste which was unpleasant. Maybe it hadn't traveled well and had been poorly stored? The best before was only two weeks away. Very hesitant to try again.

2.25/5  rDev -40.6%

2.34/5  rDev -38.3%

After reading the rest of the reviews here I'm convinced that I must've gotten a bad bottle somehow. What I had tasted exactly like a skunky Heineken. They only flavor really was skunk flavor. Overall very displeasing.

This was directly from a case of beer which had just come in at the store so theoretically it shouldn't have been exposed to too much light and should have been relatively fresh. I look forward to hopefully getting this again in the future to review it again. I can't imagine this is the flavor that has gotten such consistent high reviews here.

2.39/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

2.4/5  rDev -36.7%

From a bottle that had (what appears to be) a date of 0804, don't know if this is an expiration or a "born on" date.

Appearance was the same as an American light beer, weak yellow, thin head.
Smell: Vaguely beer-like. Maybe skunked?
Taste: Absolutely awful. Tasted like stale corn tortillas. No beer taste at all.

Overall: I poured this out after 2 sips. Not sure if it was expired/skunked or what. I will NOT drink this beer again.

Update, 10Nov08:
My ratings were 2/1/1/1/1 when I initially reviewed this beer. I bought some more this weekend after I saw it at Bevmo and it had a "date" of 12xx. I took the plunge and here's how the non-skunked stuff came out.
Appearance: No change; the head was a 1-finger, fizzy head that vanished quickly after being poured into a pint glass.
Smell: A little bit of malt, a little bit of flowers, a touch of corn, but nothing revolting.
Taste & Mouthfeel: Not a bad yellow-fizzy beer. Not much mouthfeel to it at all.
Drinkability and overall: It's actually an OK beer. Nothing spectacular, but very drinkable....this almost seems like damning with faint praise (cf: the current light beer ads in the US that plug drinkability), but it's not. Not very memorable.

2.43/5  rDev -35.9%

Pours out an absolutely crystal clear gold, with one inch of white head

Smells of sweet skunk and baby grass alcohol and malts

The taste is of wet grains and really just super expected lager but less

Mouth feel is watery with a cheap carbonation like soda. I feel like this is their version of the US' fizzy yellow stuff

2.43/5  rDev -35.9%

I poured the beer into a clear glass and it poured a light golden color. At first sniff I got a slight skunky smell. This turned me off at first. The smell kind of went away after it sat in the glass for a minute or two. But it didn't go away completely. Every time I took a sip I got a slight sniff of skunkyness. Don't get me wrong, the taste of the beer isn't to bad. I've had this beer before and don't remember it having a skunky smell. I'll try this beer again at a later date. Maybe the beer I had has been on the shelf for a while.

2.48/5  rDev -34.6%

Light gold, with a yeasty lager like, and slight hop aroma. Taste is lightly yeasty, malty, with a nice noticeable hop twang to it as well. Touch of tartness to it. Crisp carbonation and decent mouthfeel. Nothing too special, but for what it is, it seems well enough made. Decent, drinkable beer.

2.48/5  rDev -34.6%

Pours crystal clear into the glass, with an explosion of bubbles filling the body. This one then forms a nice white head, nothing dense or creamy, but just a tall white bit of bubbles. This doesn’t last long to leaves little lacing. Lively to start but rather simple.

A light nose gives off some spices and subtle earthy hop and malt profiles. The glass sadly still smells a bit like the same I washed it with and the nose really dies once the initial pour is over (there isn’t soap in the glass!).

Very bready or maybe more like a rice based bread flavor and texture to the malt here. A lot of flavor imparted here by the wheat. The beer takes on some light crystal malt like sweetness, but nothing really stands out.

Refreshing, light, well carbonated are all good ways to describe this one. I can see this being almost magical on a 90 degree day. It isn’t 90 today, far from it sadly.

This is an interesting lager. It packs some interesting flavor profiles while remaining very drinkable. Not a beer I see myself going back to short of going to The Hofbrau house in Northern Kentucky but I enjoyed this and it had potential to be pretty darn bland.

2.5/5  rDev -34%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.5/5  rDev -34%

App: Extremely light, with a head that dissipates quickly

Smell: No real smell. Lagerish, but nothing worth noting.

Taste: Nothing bad, but there is not so much flavor. Pretty weak.

Mouthfeel: No bad, goes down easy

Drinkability: It's light and easy to drink, but doesn't have the flavor I look for.

Low quality beer in my opinion.

Hofbräu Original from Hofbräuhaus München