Hofbräu Original | Hofbräuhaus München

Style: Munich Helles Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-19-2002

Ratings: 1,597 |  Reviews: 502

3.94/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured into a mason jar. Clear light gold with a snow white head. Just the sight makes me want a big soft pretzel.

Pretty standard pilsnerish aroma. Almost a little sourdough.

Much fuller flavor than I expected. I guess I've been conditioned by american beers of the same appearance being so watery. Bready malt, lightly backed with some german hop bitterness.

Medium bodied, light oily mouthcoating and lingering bitter hop aftertaste.

Overall, not my favorite style by any means, but I can enjoy a few of these. I've never been to Oktoberfest or the Munich Hofbrauhaus, but I've had a few layovers in German airports and some mugs of this with some soft pretzels are always a bright spot on miserable travel days.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

3.56/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

tap

Pours clear light gold, white sudsy head.

Light grassy and pilsnery malt aromas.

Flavor is of light barley malts and some mild sugar sweetness.

Light body with a soft carbonation.

A decent helles, nothing special but solid and thirst-quenching.

4.02/5  rDev +5.8%

Looking forward to prospects of one day having this on tap. This was a good lager, but the green bottle has taken its effect. I don't know if this is wholly intentional or not.

Anyway...

Pours with the same brisk and blowing out head that the dunkel does. A white crisp head. Has a very nice rich gold tone, a bit dense in my opinion, but nice. Very little lacing.

The nose presents the green bottle overtone with minerals and a touch of lemons. Kind of a damp wood and grain smell that mingles well with the rest of the smell.

Taste is pretty spot on and the green bottle funk is not nearly as strong as I had anticipated. Brings in the sharp grains and mineral right off. Carbonation flares and then the notes dive toward the green bottle taste with the drying hops and touches of lemony citrus. Really great bitterness as it warms. Pretty straightforward and pretty neat. You can tell there are some pretty good quality ingredients taken into the German tradition for this lager.

Mouthfeel is pretty close to being perfect for this lager, but... There is a point at which the smoothness lags a bit for me and chews up a bit. When I think of a lager, I think of drinkability and crispness. Though very crisp and smooth. A part of it is a bit sticky for me. Maybe it is the bottle. Otherwise, good carbonation and has a perfect dryness.

Overall, a very fine lager. Don't know what else to say. I would drink it again if I felt like a lager and wanted a good quality lager at that. Holds up much better than many. Improves with warmth which is a big plus.

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%