Hofbräu Maibock (Urbock) | Hofbräuhaus München

Hofbräu Maibock (Urbock)Hofbräu Maibock (Urbock)

Hofbräuhaus München
Germany
hofbraeuhaus.de

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

Availability: Spring

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-09-2001

1.72/5  rDev -55.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance
Clear and pale. The beer is a dark, rusted amber. The head is short, but stays at a thick film.

Aroma
Totally lightstruck. Hooray for green glass and no freshness dating. The skunky aroma seems to fade a little bit, revealing some sweet breadiness underneath.

Taste
Sweet bread dough, soft pretzels kick things off. Then things get weird. The hops are much stronger than what I'd expect. They are very medicinal, bitter and chemical. The taste is good for about the first half.

Mouthfeel
I guess this is the only part that isn't ruined. Its smooth and fluffy. Only trouble is that nagging finish.

Overall
Yick, green bottles and the singles rack at Kroger, and I knew better too.

2.14/5  rDev -45%

Poured from a 500 ml. bottle. This left a one finger head that quickly dissipated and left sketchy surface skim. Color is a dark orange-amber.

Smell - Diacetyl ,and more diacetyl ,some phenols, odors of dried dark fruits.

Taste - like the smell. Dominated by diacetyl. some dark dried fruit liked dates, dried plums. A little bit of phenol taste. I do not like diacetyl taste heavy beers, and this is no exception.

Mouthfeel - thin, fluid, medium carbonation.

Drinkabilty - this goes done with some difficulty for me, and I would avoid this.

2.25/5  rDev -42.2%

2.25/5  rDev -42.2%

2.49/5  rDev -36%

Pours a haselnut color with a big, spongy head.

Aromas are pretty muted - there is a faint hint of crushed grains, toffee malts and wet straw to be found on the nose.

Has a lower carbonation and a thinner mouthfeel, not justifying the higher abv, while finishing watery with an alcoholic harshness.

Tastes of loads of toffee, a note of earth and barley and a bright mineralic quality, creating a very sweet tasting beer. Develops a faint, late hop dryness, which settles atop the otherwise watery nothingness, lending a herbal whiff to the overly sweet malts.

This is a bad tasting Bock, too sweet and one-dimensional with not enough going on to suffice. Also its mouthfeel is a huge letdown, next to its low carbonation it feels almost like drinking alcoholic fountain water.

2.5/5  rDev -35.7%

2.73/5  rDev -29.8%

Poured a nice deep copper hue with a one finger head. There was no head retention and no lacing.

The aroma was obviously malty with hits of hop and grass. An overall neutral aroma.

The flavor was consistent with the aroma. Sweet and malty with a hint of hop finish.

Mouthfeel was a bit sticky.

I enjoyed this beer for what it was - an authentic representation of perhaps the world's oldest seasonal beer.

2.73/5  rDev -29.8%

Green bottles, seriously? I am really disappointed I have to give HB a mediocre at best review, because I have had this on tap and it is hands down fantastic, but the six pack I bought from a reputable store is s-k-u-n-k-e-d. And I know that once beer leaves the brewry care for the beer is out of their hands, but not the effect of uv and no freshness dating. Hoppy beer was invented for the long journey, now it's time for the brown bottle.

I'll try and drink the rest, but you might as well buy a sixer of Heineken if you want this flavor.

I must reitterate if you see this on tap buy a big stein, it is a whole different beer, but I expect HB to get with modern bottle engineering (with a date).

2.74/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

First thing I noticed was how the bitterness in this doesn't blend well with the rest of the beer. Ignoring the bitterness the yeast also has a strong flavor that adds to the sharpness in flavor. Its that slight sourness I get from certain lagers but really strong in this one. The very toasty breaded malty flavor does please my buds.

2.74/5  rDev -29.6%

This beer has a small initial head that is off-white in color with good lacing. The body is a clear amber color. It initially tasted light then built to a small bitterness, something I don't particularly like in my beers. But then I am spoiled by Andechs! Im Himmel gibt es Keine bier darum trinken vir es hier! (In heaven there is no beer that is why we drink it here!)

2.86/5  rDev -26.5%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle, into a pilsner glass. The beer pours a deep copper, forming a creamy 1/2 inch head. Light spots of lace on the glass. The aroma is very skunky, with a little bit of malt coming through. The taste is a little better. Light sweet malt flavoring, a hint of citrusy hops, alcohol, but overall, an uneasy wheaty taste. Its hard to describe, but this tastes like all the other beers that I've had that have come in green bottles. If its green, it always seems to have a very skunky smell and taste. Maybe I'm just not used to the styles, but they just dont do it for me.

2.87/5  rDev -26.2%

appearance - translucent copper color that yielded a tan head that only lasted for about 3 seconds

smell - not pleasant at all, typical euro skunk odor, grass, hay

taste - some more of that euro skunk taste, I can detect a bit of malt and molasses as well

mouthfeel - light to medium bodied, medium carbonation, slightly bitter upfront as well as in the finish

overall - sort of disappointed in this one, also made me think about something, why do breweries even bother putting their beer in green bottles anyways? Everytime I have sampled something from a green bottle, it comes out skunked without fail. I'd love to try this fresh or on tap as this beverage was clearly affected by being lightstruck. If you are new to the style, I wouldn't reccommend starting with this one

2.88/5  rDev -26%

2.94/5  rDev -24.4%

330ml bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a slightly hazy medium copper with a two finger white head.

Aroma is very malty with a nutty and buttery aroma. Some caramel is in there as well.

Flavor is somewhat buttery at first yielding to some grassy hop flavors along with caramel from the malt. There is a fairly heavy sweetness throughout with hop bitterness only coming towards the finish. Very sticky mouthfeel.

Overall I was somewhat disappointed with this beer. Too much butter and not enough bitterness. I will say that the six pack I bought was marked way down and is probably from last year but nonetheless, it wasn't too great.

Hofbräu Maibock (Urbock) from Hofbräuhaus München