Hofbräu Maibock (Urbock) | Hofbräuhaus München

Hofbräu Maibock (Urbock)Hofbräu Maibock (Urbock)

Hofbräuhaus München

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-09-2001

firstprev| 276-300 | 301-325 | 326-350  | next → last
Reviews: 334 | Ratings: 711
4.32/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Brilliant copper with swelling head that disappears. Leathery aroma with tantalizing spices and earthiness. A creamy malt delight, quite sweet and biscuity but a dynamite dryness enters midway and follows through. Lingering wetness and caramel flavors. The hop spiciness is just right, hints of grass, mint, pepper, and a raw earthy quality that combines perfectly with the toffee sweetness from the malts. Huge alcohol content is invisible. I am getting all kinds of hidden flavors here, I suspect my mind is recalling previous tastes; I have to thank this beer for being so evocative. This is a pleasurable, lighter alternative to a doppel, may even be a neat substitute for your basic bitter or pale ale. I got this for a really low price which I thought was the cashier's mistake; after reading one of the reviews below, I will have to go back and double check. Either way I will buy more of this. Only the 2nd genuine German maibock I have had (after Einbeck).

3.93/5  rDev +1%

Clear amber pour with a floor of bigger-than-usual bubbles that slowly work their way to the thick, off-white head. Active carbonation persists. Sweet, malty notes and breadiness dominate the nose. Malty taste and medium body at the onset. Dries to a warm, spicy finish. A nicely balanced, drinkable bock; worth a return trip.

This bottle doesn't have the word Altestes anywhere on it. But it says on the label that it's Munich's first bock, so I figure it's the same as this beer listed. So here goes:
It's brilliant clear copper in color with a very large but quickly shrinking fluffy head. A pleasant malty aroma greets along with a touch of alcohol. Sweet maltiness is prevalent and enjoyable in this medium bodied brew. A spicy hop kick comes through in the finish and is masked by the alcohol, leaving the impression of strong maltiness and alcohol. I enjoyed it very much, and with the wonderful single bottle selection I have in Chicago, I will be buying this again at the very cheap price it goes for....definitely a seeker.

4.2/5  rDev +8%

One of my favorite mai-bocks,poures a nice reddish/copper color with great blooming head.Nice malty aroma and nutty flavor and somewhat spicey.Alcohol is prevelant but not overpowering,great spring time beer,I get this when ever I can find it,wich is not often enough.

3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

Amber color with full white head. Malty scent was faint. Malt dominates with a bit of spicy hop thrown in. Mouthfeel was good, somewhat thick. The ABV seemed rather low, but I'm more of a doppel man. Not a bad beer, but I prefer something with a bit more buzz.

Edit: Wow, thought it was lower ABV than it was. Talk about well hidden!

Pours an amber hue with a thick ivory colored head. The head disappates to a thin layer leaving a thick clinging lace. Deep roasted malts on the nose with hints of mollasses and honey. Sweet maltiness on the tounge as well. Slight nice bitterness on the finish. Good mouthfeel and very drinkable.

4.42/5  rDev +13.6%

This is a nice Maibock.
Throws a golden-amber body, with a creamy head that runs away somewhat quickly.
Big maltiness on the nose. Very bready, and just faintly sweet.
Sweet maltiness, bread, and faint toffee show up in the taste. Then comes a spicy hop kick...WooHoo. Unexpected, but very nice. Peppery delicious in the finish.
Relatively big in the mouth, but still smooth.
Very, very tasty. One of the better Maibocks I've had.

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

I am really not a fan of Mai Bocks, so I ventured into this knowing it would not be my favorite. Very sweet, with a tang, that sort of threw me off. Fruity and smooth. Yet, the overall pciture wasn't too bad; I really enjoyed it. I just cannot imagine myself drinking more of them.

3.4/5  rDev -12.6%

Mild, slightly floral hops up front, which was fairly sweet. Finished on the slightly bitter-sweet side. Another easy-drinking offering from this brewpub, and a nice accompanyment with dinner.

firstprev| 276-300 | 301-325 | 326-350  | next → last