Hofbräu Münchner Weisse | Hofbräuhaus München

Added by Bierman9 on 05-25-2002

Ratings: 1,169 |  Reviews: 408
1.5/5  rDev -61.4%

2.04/5  rDev -47.6%

I am afraid I might have gotten a bad bottle, Hofbrauhaus has a good reputation but this stuff was not great to say the least. Aroma was strongly skunky. Pours with a creay white head. Taste is skunky. Goes down alright despite the taste. Hope I just got a bad bottle, as I couldn't finish it, drain pour.

2.06/5  rDev -47%

Classic. Wanted to try something other than the Weihenstephaner, which I know to be awesome. Picked up this green bottle. A little yeast ringlet sits at the bottom of the glass. Word.
Not super cloudy, but a bit hazy yellow, looks fine and all.
Smells a little skunked with some banana and wheat and clove.
Definitely tastes skunked, which is always strange to me that such a low hop beer can do this. But it does! The sulfur notes dominate, with a little bit of the yeast character to provide some semblance of decency.
A crappin disappointment.

2.5/5  rDev -35.7%

2.5/5  rDev -35.7%

2.51/5  rDev -35.5%

Let me start this review by saying I hate Hefe's. I got this as a gift so I must review it.

Appearance: Looks like a hefe. Cloudy. White head. Head goes away too quickly

Smell: Smells of hops. Quite nice for a hefe

Taste: Tastes almost rotten. Probably good for a hefe but really repulsive for me.

Mouthfeel: Feels heavy. not to style

Drinkability: Probably good for the style, but I just can bring myself to finish this beer.

2.52/5  rDev -35.2%

2.54/5  rDev -34.7%

Pours a hazy yellow/orange body with a white cap of creamy head. Not a lot of carbonation here, but I suppose it does the job. The body is rather lacking in activity, I recall hefs being a bit more active.

The nose is classic hef with vanilla, cloves, bubble gum, and bananas all standing out.

The taste isn’t nearly as strong or sweet as the nose. Sure cloves, bananas, bubble gum are all here, but this one isn’t taking on the right balance and there is a lot of chalky yeast in here which is out of place. The yeast gives this one a similar bready flavor comparable to their Original. It was different and drying there, but in this hef it just seems grossly out of place. I have a feeling this is a result of a certain yeast strain being used across all their beers, but just guessing. I believe if you enjoy the effects of this yeast flavor this beer might be for you, but this one misses the boat for good German made Hefs by a pretty hide margin.

The dry effects of the yeast are taking away from this one a lot. It is still drinkable, but the mouth is just thrown off by the drying effects. Add in this just isn’t the perfect creamy hef body that the better hefs pull off.

There’s nothing “wrong” with this beer. I don’t think it is an exceptional example of the style and certainly don’t think it is a beer I’ll go back to. Still the price at about 2.15 for a 16.6 is lower than most Germans and I believe they do 6 packs for around 10-11 so the price here is justifiable.

2.63/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

2.69/5  rDev -30.8%

hazy. big head settles to a cap. l 007 h 1313 marked on the green bottle. it was part of a mixed 24 bottle giftpack.
aroma has suggestions of ammonia, oxidation. if this is what it's intended to smell like, not impressed.
taste is lemony, like old lemonade and some pledge mixed in. the mouthfeel, though, is smooth and just about right.

2.7/5  rDev -30.6%

Pours with a thick, lasting head. Lace continues through glass. Light, copper in color. Has a very strong sent of wheat.
Had a slight rusting taste to it. Left an acidic taste on the tip of the tongue. Overall disappointing, as it begins with such favorable characteristics (aroma and look). But the taste is 180 degrees off from what I expected. Perhaps I had a bad bottle. Will be willing to give this one a second try.

Served with lemon.

2.72/5  rDev -30.1%

I think I confused this with Hofbräu Münchner Weisse because after revisiting this via a 6-pack, it's a weaksauce version of a full-bodied Hefe-helles.

Not worth another buy in the German beer genre.

2.8/5  rDev -28%

I feel many will think I had a bad bottle,so I will say this could be the case.
The look was golden,hazy yellow with a nice head.
The aroma was cloves,lemon and yeast.
The taste was a weak,watered down,bland banana clove, It was a bit creamy and it did go down smoothly. Light carbonation with a crisp sensation.

Note: I did not like this beer very much and I guess I judge every Hefe against the King(Weinstphaner).
I will give it one more try to see if I had a bad bottle,but even if the bottle had been fresh I think it would still be a far cry from the King.

2.81/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Mild citrus aroma with a hint of skunkiness. Hazy mild amber color with quarter inch head. Has a light citrus taste. Seems like a weak representation of this style. Faint banana like taste. Though not bad tasting I was a bit disappointed by this. I’m a huge fan of this style and was feeling let down by this one.

2.83/5  rDev -27.2%

Cloudy yellow orange color. Full, mountainous foam. In the nose, typical weisse characteristics of dough, vanilla, banana and clove clash with the unfortunate green bottle skunk. Flavor has very light flavors of banana bread, pear and apple. Also has some skunk in the flavor from the green bottle. Overall, this is a decent beer, but a poor example of the style, especially considering it's from Munich.

2.85/5  rDev -26.7%

Bought in a Moscow supermarket, this beer comes in a green 12 oz. (355ml - gee, guess it's bottled for the U.S. market - yup, back label includes refund info for various states) bottle with a blue and white label featuring the facade of, what else?, the Hofbräuhaus. Purity law applies. Only the Russian import label slapped on the side has the freshness date: best before 8/28/04, I opened it on 2/23/04.

Pours a fairly clear (this is a Hefeweizen, right) light gold under a one finger head that fades to film quite quickly, leaving minimal lace. The nose is very, very mild - just the slightest hint of the necessary clove and yeast. The mouth is light and prickly. The taste is sweet and spicey, like a wheat beer should have, but it is very, very subdued - almost watered down. It's not bad, but there's very little substance here. No discernible hops, but no surprise there. The aftertaste is sweet spice, as it should be. Sure, this is drinkable, but there are much better examples of the style.

2.85/5  rDev -26.7%

16.9 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a hazy, cloudy yellow, with a firm, rocky white head, good retention, no lacing, looks like a standard hefe.

S: Clove dominates, light banana, wheat malt evident as well.

T: Taste is very clovey and bitter. Light bubblegum and banana, but the bitterness and clove dominates, one-dimensional.

M: Spritzy, mild carbonation for the style, brisk, relatively easy to drink.

D: Not horrible, but not a hefe I'd come back to, it's a chore to drink at times.

2.88/5  rDev -26%

Cloudy, Yellow body w/ minimal carbonation. Forms an average head that is white and lasts throughout. Lacing is sliding.

Lighter than most true german hefe's, Subdued bananna and clove, leaning towards the wheat aspect. Lemon creeps into the picture to clean things up a bit. There is a sort of rawness to this brew even though its sweet in the end. Malts seem bland and dryed, while the yeast really makes this beer enjoyable.

Notes: Huge fan of Hefe's and this is about average to below average for me.

2.89/5  rDev -25.7%

Pours out a slightly hazy (read: too clear) tamarind drink color. Head is fizzy and wears itself out quickly. Smells malty, and not really very wheaty. There are some esters and phenols here, but they are pretty faint. As with the aroma, this is more of a bready malty brew than a wheaty, citrusy, and phenolic hefe that I was expecting. It has those characteristics as well, but just as pronounced as I'd like. Still, not a bad tasting beer. Mouthfeel is kind of flat and slightly heavy for a weissbier. Overall this is drinkable. Nothing totally offensive.

The flavor here reminded me more of a mix between a decent hefe and Hofbrau's own helles lager. Too malty for my liking of the style, but, nevertheless, this is kind of tasty. I'd definately drink this again, but I wouldn't really seek this out to purchase with my own money.

2.89/5  rDev -25.7%

Poured from a bottle into a hefeweizen glass
Appearance: Gold/straw in color with some hazziness. Good amount of white foamy head (3 fingers)
Smell: Skunk smell with slight hint of banana. I thought I may have just bought a bad 6-pack, but even after buying another 6-pack of this beer, you cannot escape the skunkiness.
Taste: Follows the nose. Unfortunately, that means a skunky flavor.
Mouthfeel: Not bad at all. Smooth beer with moderate carbonation. Goes down easy once you get over the skunkiness.
Overall: I gave this beer a mediocre rating due to the skunkiness of the smell and flavor. To be fair though, the skunk is likely attributed to the green bottle. It probably would taste much better if I had sampled it on tap in Munich. I had the chance to go to the Hofbrauhaus in Munich during my last night there, but I ended up going to the Ayinger brewery just across the street.

2.92/5  rDev -24.9%

Hofbrau Hefe Weizen

I poured into a pint glass to three fingers of fluffy, white head. It is a hazy yellow in color. The aroma is masked by that typical green bottle skunky smell. I haved passed this beer over several times simply for the fact of being in a green bottle. I reluctantly purchased this as I was in the mood for a hefeweizen. The taste is ok. I get some banana and clove. The mouthfeel is great and this would probably be good on tap. I debated about reviewing this beer, but the brewer is the one who chose this bottle.

2.93/5  rDev -24.7%

11.2oz bottle poured into flute glass

look is cloudy and orange, no surprise there. as soon as i poured the beer, there was the undeniable scent of sugar cookie dough in the air. the taste is less on the cookie dough, but also less on everything: it's crisp and has good bite (light feel), but only faint hefe flavors - mostly cookie dough.

disappointed in this one, maybe it was a bad bottle.

Hofbräu Münchner Weisse from Hofbräuhaus München