Hofbräu Münchner Weisse | Hofbräuhaus München

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by Bierman9 on 05-25-2002

Ratings: 1,170 |  Reviews: 409
3.15/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I have to admit this is only the second Hefe Weizen I have had so bare with me. Of course I poured this beer the correct way with the bottle upside down and swirling 1/3 of the bottle to get any yeast of the bottom.

Appearance- This beer is a creamy orange nectarine color that you can not see through. The head is about three fingers after the initial pour but goes down quickly. You can witness the cloudiness of the beer once held up to a light and can really appreciate the amount of yeastiness present just from the sight.

Smell- The smell is very unique. It has a strong apricot smell to it. With a swirl of the glass a strong artificial banana smell comes out. I do smell somewhat of a fake tanginess to the beer but the yeast smell is quite present and and apparent.

Taste- Wow the number one thing I taste right from the get go is a fruity pungent taste. I taste a lot of apricot, however the banana I smelt I cannot really taste. With the second taste and a little bit more concentrated sense, I can taste much of the yeast in the beer and it is quite good actually.

Mouthfeel- The mouthfeel is pretty decent. It has somewhat of a watery consistency, however it has a certain bit of body that can be detected. It is definitely filling but much more watery than I presumed .

Overall, this beer is quite good. I would say that it is a beginners German beer. I would recommend it to any American who has not dived deep within the German Hefe Weizen scene yet. This is only my third review ever let me know how I did! CHEERS!

3.62/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Yes, I know it has a green bottle, and I know that it has what they call "skunkiness", but it works. It does. Heineken has a green bottle and the skunkiness but it doesn't work. There's a difference. OK?

This is a good hefeweizen. The typical flavors are there (wheat, coriander, spice, yeast), but there are hops along for the ride as well. Most notable are lemon scents and flavors. A bit on the thin side, even for a hefeweizen, but it finishes clean.

This isn't a perfect hefeweizen by any means, and in fact I think it's overrated. But everything seems to work pretty well, and it's a tasty albeit unremarkable example of the style.

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

3.5/5  rDev -10%

4.18/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

500 mL bottle from the LCBO; best before Jan 29 2014. This is one I've sought after for at least the last year, since I missed my chance to pick it up last summer. Since I'm spending the evening in a stinking hot, non-air-conditioned house during the season's first real heat wave, it can't be much of a surprise that I've been looking forward to cracking this one open all day.

Pours a cloudy golden-yellow colour, generating slightly more than one finger's worth of fluffy, bone-white head. Typical retention for a weisse; it takes more than a few minutes to wilt down to a thin, creamy cap/collar and a ring of lacing around the glass. The aroma is pleasant and covers all of the bases I expect from a hefe - lots of bready wheat malt sweetness, and even more yeastiness, including some clove, coriander, bubblegum, and a big wallop of ripe banana. It has been a while since my last hefeweizen, and a few sniffs of this one already has my mouth watering.

This is a rich, full-flavoured hefe. Bubblegum is the first flavour to come through, leading into a mixture of banana, wheat malt sweetness, with slight hints of lemon zest and clove spiciness rounding it out toward the end. The aftertaste leans toward the sweet side, with the wheat malt being a lingering presence on the palate. Medium in body, with restrained carbonation as well as that velvety-smooth mouthfeel shared by all quality hefeweizens. Extremely drinkable, and a pleasure to do so on a sweltering hot evening like this.

Final Grade: 4.18, a solid A-. There can be no doubt; Hofbräu Hefe Weizen is a classic Bavarian wheat beer that I am glad to have procured. While there are probably other examples of the style I would select before this one, the fact remains that this is still an outstanding hefe I could easily see myself picking up again. This is definitely worth a try if you happen to spot it on the shelves of your local shop, and it makes a perfect quencher for the real dog days of summer.

Hofbräu Münchner Weisse from Hofbräuhaus München