Hofbräu Münchner Weisse | Hofbräuhaus München

Added by Bierman9 on 05-25-2002

Ratings: 1,176 |  Reviews: 410
4.25/5  rDev +9%

3.15/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I have to admit this is only the second Hefe Weizen I have had so bare with me. Of course I poured this beer the correct way with the bottle upside down and swirling 1/3 of the bottle to get any yeast of the bottom.

Appearance- This beer is a creamy orange nectarine color that you can not see through. The head is about three fingers after the initial pour but goes down quickly. You can witness the cloudiness of the beer once held up to a light and can really appreciate the amount of yeastiness present just from the sight.

Smell- The smell is very unique. It has a strong apricot smell to it. With a swirl of the glass a strong artificial banana smell comes out. I do smell somewhat of a fake tanginess to the beer but the yeast smell is quite present and and apparent.

Taste- Wow the number one thing I taste right from the get go is a fruity pungent taste. I taste a lot of apricot, however the banana I smelt I cannot really taste. With the second taste and a little bit more concentrated sense, I can taste much of the yeast in the beer and it is quite good actually.

Mouthfeel- The mouthfeel is pretty decent. It has somewhat of a watery consistency, however it has a certain bit of body that can be detected. It is definitely filling but much more watery than I presumed .

Overall, this beer is quite good. I would say that it is a beginners German beer. I would recommend it to any American who has not dived deep within the German Hefe Weizen scene yet. This is only my third review ever let me know how I did! CHEERS!

3.62/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Yes, I know it has a green bottle, and I know that it has what they call "skunkiness", but it works. It does. Heineken has a green bottle and the skunkiness but it doesn't work. There's a difference. OK?

This is a good hefeweizen. The typical flavors are there (wheat, coriander, spice, yeast), but there are hops along for the ride as well. Most notable are lemon scents and flavors. A bit on the thin side, even for a hefeweizen, but it finishes clean.

This isn't a perfect hefeweizen by any means, and in fact I think it's overrated. But everything seems to work pretty well, and it's a tasty albeit unremarkable example of the style.

4.25/5  rDev +9%