Hofbräu München Hefe Weizen | Hofbräuhaus München

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by Mora2000 on 08-12-2010

Reviews: 77 | Ratings: 405
4.37/5  rDev +14.4%

Nice, cloudy pale copper color when poured, with a full, cereal aroma lending to the wheat of the beer. Great, clean, buttery flavor, clearly superior, with little distracting aftertaste. Smooth in the mouth, goes down nicely. A superior hefeweizen. I will be getting this again.

4.07/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I bought a six pack in bottles. The bottles were 11.2 fluid ounces with the bottle number of L 175 P 12:42. I could not find an expiration date. It was refrigerated and poured into a pint shaped glass.

Appearance: golden and cloudy. The beer looked lively and the carbon bubbles still rapidly ascend as I write this. Not much of a head as I poured it with the glass tilted.

Smell: nutty and floral

Taste: well carbonated with a smoky feel. The beer goes down dry as I didn't get much of an aftertaste

Mouth Feel: crisp and oily

Overall: I enjoyed the beer as it wasn't heavy and sweet. Hofcrau Munchen brand seems universally well enjoyed. I've tried their October Fest and it was delicious. I can get this brand regularly at my local beverage store. Easily a beer you can bring to a gathering. Beer Advocate's description stated the ABV as 5.4% but on the bottle it reads 5.1%.

4.1/5  rDev +7.3%

Served from bottle to glass at the Bavarian Inn in Frankenmuth, MI. Perfect atmosphere for an HB. Golden color with a finger of small, even sized bubbles. Beautiful wheat aroma, banana and bread. Taste follows, some clove and sweet honey-like notes. Smooth, silky feel and clean finish.

4.04/5  rDev +5.8%

Cloudy amber with lots of white head. Smells of olives and lemons with a bit of a musty/bread scent in the backdrop. Clean, lemony flavor with a bit of a crust flavor in the malts. Solid medium body. All around, a well-rounded and enjoyable beer.

3.94/5  rDev +3.1%

Artwork: Typical HB label. Not easy to distinguish from HB's other products which feature near-identical labels.

Appearance: Hazy orange with a couple of inches of head that is reduced in half within a minute.

Nose: Smells surprisingly lager-like. I don't detect much banana or clove on the nose.

Taste: This time clove and banana are both present with the former being somewhat more pronounced. Not too sweet.

Mouthfeel: Nice medium body with smooth, velvet-like, carbonation.

Overall: A typical mainstream German hefeweizen. A bit more clove than I'm comfortable with but nonetheless a very refreshing beer for a hot summer's day.

2.94/5  rDev -23%

L- Golden
S- Wheaty, light, vanilla
T + F - Wheaty, very bready, jerky like after taste
O - Light and Breezy brew

I find that I'm not much of a whet guy though so my review reflects that more-so.

4.29/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Golden body with white bubbly head that stays. Aroma of vanilla, banana, papaya, honey, flowers. Tastes of wheat, honey, floral notes, banana, vanilla. Light bodied with medium carbonation.

3.49/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

As with most hefes, this does a bit better as it warms slightly. Pours a cloudy copper, almost looks like sparkling cider. Small head, thin, lots of carbonation keeps a small pool bubbling in the center of the glass.

Smells of banana, biscuit, clove, straw, light caramel. Bready, biscuity, doughy. Fresh baked. Add in banana, straw, clove, light grass, lemon. Nice soft flavours in this one. Finishes clean, heavier body than most in this style, smooth, quite nice.

Most attributes of this hefe are on the lighter side, but makes for an easy drink and decent brew.

4.3/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'm a big hefeweizen fan. I've drank the best in the world. I saw this at my local beer shop and decided to give it a try.

My initial reaction is that this is a tasty beer. Get ready to burp because this is well carbonated and yeasty. It has that hefe banana and malt backbone to it but it is on the lighter side. It is a bit watery compared to some other hefeweizens but not by much. I enjoyed it that's for sure. On my journey of hefeweizens I'd rank this behind Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, Ayinger Bräu Weisse, and Schneider Weisse Tap 4 Weisen Edel-Weisse. I'd love to have all of them at the same time in a blind taste test. I'd love to taste it next to Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse since its been awhile since I've had that. I think its on the same level as that beer.

Regardless, if you see this at your beer shop give it a try. Its an outstanding brew!

3.16/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I'm revisiting this after it scored well in a hefeweizen comparison I did several years back. The initial smell reminds me of white wine, but after it has warmed a bit it is getting that more familiar banana-bread like smell.
Tasting notes: mostly makes me think of crisp lemony citrus, followed by white wine, spice, ripe banana notes that are kind of muted, a bit of a metallic taste in the background. Easy drinking.

3.84/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

I detected a slight Euro-Skunk smell and taste, not overpowering, but definitely there. Otherwise this is an excellent beer, goes down easy. Looks great, perfect strength, body and feel. I am a BIG Wit / Hefeweizen fan, so I like it, but I've had many better. Maybe they could switch to brown bottles?

4.17/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

there is a residue at the bottom that needs to be stirred in for that cloudy golden color. one finger creamy head and a fair amount of lace. smells of spice and yeast and wheat. taste of spice, fruit, wheat, yeast with a slight tang. carbonation on the light side. overall tasty and enjoyable.

3.69/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a classic pilsner glass. First off, the color looks great - a hazy gold with a solid 2-3 finger white head. The skunked smell right off the bat almost made me not even want to try it - maybe because of the green bottle choice. The taste is smooth, crisp, and easy to drink with hints of banana and clove, but is fairly weak compared to others I have tried. I was somewhat let down by this beer overall because even though it doesn't taste bad at all as far as the flavors that are present, I just can't get over the skunked smell. It has potential, but needs a bit of refining by kicking the flavor up just a tad.

2.89/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured from a bottle into a hefeweizen glass
Appearance: Gold/straw in color with some hazziness. Good amount of white foamy head (3 fingers)
Smell: Skunk smell with slight hint of banana. I thought I may have just bought a bad 6-pack, but even after buying another 6-pack of this beer, you cannot escape the skunkiness.
Taste: Follows the nose. Unfortunately, that means a skunky flavor.
Mouthfeel: Not bad at all. Smooth beer with moderate carbonation. Goes down easy once you get over the skunkiness.
Overall: I gave this beer a mediocre rating due to the skunkiness of the smell and flavor. To be fair though, the skunk is likely attributed to the green bottle. It probably would taste much better if I had sampled it on tap in Munich. I had the chance to go to the Hofbrauhaus in Munich during my last night there, but I ended up going to the Ayinger brewery just across the street.

3.79/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a dark golden color with a big foamy head. Smells like bananas and cloves. The taste is closely aligned with the aroma. The body is fairly light with a slightly watery feel that detracts from the score.
I think this is a decent Hefeweizen that is not great but easy to drink.

3.63/5  rDev -5%

Cloudy pale yellow color, frothy white head. Smell is yeast, bready malts, and clove. Taste has sweet malts up front, and settles with banana, clove, and a surprising amount of lemon. Feel is a bit watery, but has good carbonation. Overall a pretty good hefeweizen, little too much lemon for the balance in my opinion.

4.31/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I have been quite impressed with Hofbrau lately and so I was excited to try this Hefeweizen. I’m a bit of a hop head, but I can appreciate the vast quantity of styles out there.

Look-It pours a golden yellow cloudy liquid with a silky smooth foamy head. The lacing is sparse and drooping. Plentiful wisps of carbonation trails can be seen floating to the surface.

Smell-I get honey-suckle, apple orchard cider, bready doughs, yeast, and fruitiness.

Taste-The taste follows the nose, but with more apple and honey than the nose picks up on. I also get a good amount of buttered biscuit, bready dough, and ancient yeast strains. I also get some banana and bread pudding or custard at the back.

Mouthfeel-It is smooth, silky, chewy, and effortless.

Overall-This beer is excellent. It sets the standard for all other heffes out there. Cheers!

4.23/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I love Hofbrau. This is going to be a good beer, but to let people know how good I must review it. Poured from a 330 mL bottle into a standard pint glass. Here we go.

Look: Pale, semi-cloudy body, fluffy billowing white head, flurries of carbonation rushing upwards. The lace is moist and drooping.

Smell: Aromatic yeast-derived orchard fruit esters collide with a chalky dough and honey character that posses great complexity.

Taste: Lots of unfiltered honey flavors upfront without the sweetness, warm biscuit dough, a touch of nutty butter, and some fermentation-derived Methyl butyrate at the end.

Feel: Full and smooth, silky linger, almost chewy.

Overall: I think this beer sets the standard for Heffeweizens and is loaded with Hofbräu genius. Great anytime of the year.

3.67/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

DATE TASTED: November 27, 2015 ... GLASSWARE: Weihenstephaner pilsner... OCCASION: Black Friday visit to Hazleton went well--time to celebrate... APPEARANCE: light, almost sallow golden straw body; extremely clear for a hefe--must be filtered...thick, frothy two-finger snow-white head that retains stubbornly; AROMA: wonderful bubblegum pops with vibrant floral impressions; lesser scents of lemongrass, hay, and .... PALATE: light, smooth, swift to the throat; pleasant aftertaste that lingers but does not harsh the mellow... TASTE: the bubblegum is appreciable, with a fair amount of breadiness, but no bitterness... soft banana late, with some pear, perhaps...OVERALL: this my not be a classic, mostly because it is not a truly distinguishable beer, but rather a fresh, pleasantly cleansing hefe, with minimal flavor profiling... as drinkable as they come, with enough character to be remembered--ultra-clean and refreshing...

3.4/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

THis is a pretty ince example of a good hefeweizen. This is not my favorite style, but I tried to not hold that against the beer in my review. It's very malty as ecpected, but nothing to write home about.

3.83/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A solid hefe in every way. Hofbrau has yet to dissipoint me. Pours a cloudy straw color . . . Pretty typical for the style. Aromas are the usual bananas and cloves. Some spice and a slight skunkyness as well. Same goes for the taste. Feel isn't quite world class due to it not being as creamy and crisp as I had hoped for. Overall a terrific hefe from Germany !

2.72/5  rDev -28.8%

I think I confused this with Hofbräu Münchner Weisse because after revisiting this via a 6-pack, it's a weaksauce version of a full-bodied Hefe-helles.

Not worth another buy in the German beer genre.

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

Clear pale gold with one finger of white head. Some splotches of lace.
Smell is skunky with a bit of clove.
Taste is banana wheat clove.
Mouthfeel is light with alright carbonation. Finish is lightly tart and refreshing.
Overall an average Hefe and with the green bottle skunk not so pleasing.

3.32/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

8/24...on tap. Presents as cloudy yellow with white foam. Classic banana clove nose but light. Taste is wheaty but with no bite. Thick mouthfeel. Just so so. 375 35 325 3 325

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer pours a hazy yellow. The aroma is classic hefe, which makes sense as that is what this is. Maybe a little heavier on the spice than fruit components on the nose. The flavor was light, fizzy, fruity, and spicy. Well balanced, but not a stand out in any way. I am loving my new exploration of well done German styles.

Hofbräu München Hefe Weizen from Hofbräuhaus München