Hofbräu München Hefe Weizen | Hofbräuhaus München

Added by Mora2000 on 08-12-2010

1.5/5  rDev -61.2%

2.52/5  rDev -34.9%

2.63/5  rDev -32%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

2.72/5  rDev -29.7%

I think I confused this with Hofbräu Münchner Weisse because after revisiting this via a 6-pack, it's a weaksauce version of a full-bodied Hefe-helles.

Not worth another buy in the German beer genre.

2.75/5  rDev -28.9%

2.75/5  rDev -28.9%

2.89/5  rDev -25.3%

Poured from a bottle into a hefeweizen glass
Appearance: Gold/straw in color with some hazziness. Good amount of white foamy head (3 fingers)
Smell: Skunk smell with slight hint of banana. I thought I may have just bought a bad 6-pack, but even after buying another 6-pack of this beer, you cannot escape the skunkiness.
Taste: Follows the nose. Unfortunately, that means a skunky flavor.
Mouthfeel: Not bad at all. Smooth beer with moderate carbonation. Goes down easy once you get over the skunkiness.
Overall: I gave this beer a mediocre rating due to the skunkiness of the smell and flavor. To be fair though, the skunk is likely attributed to the green bottle. It probably would taste much better if I had sampled it on tap in Munich. I had the chance to go to the Hofbrauhaus in Munich during my last night there, but I ended up going to the Ayinger brewery just across the street.

2.94/5  rDev -24%

L- Golden
S- Wheaty, light, vanilla
T + F - Wheaty, very bready, jerky like after taste
O - Light and Breezy brew

I find that I'm not much of a whet guy though so my review reflects that more-so.

2.99/5  rDev -22.7%

I really need to just stop trying to drink beers out of green bottles

3.02/5  rDev -22%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass. Bottling date of "L 017 L" which I am guessing is January 17th?

Pours a hazy amber/straw. A little on the dark side. Not much head. Looks a lot like unfiltered cider. Not a good start.

Distinct smell of skunk upon pouring - damn you, green bottles! It fades quickly, though. It's definitely still there, but there are notes of yeast and wheat as well.

The taste is much better that I was expecting by this point. Light, crisp, just a hint of skunkiness. Very slight metallic aftertaste, but overall not bad.

Ideal carbonation level and thickness.

It is German, and it is a hefeweizen, but it belongs nowhere near the top tier.

3.02/5  rDev -22%

3.04/5  rDev -21.4%

3.09/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

3.14/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a Pilsner glass. Thin head that dissipated slowly over a few minutes, without much lacing. Color was a nice cloudy gold. Smell was a bit skunky, definitely not my cuppa tea. Mouthfeel was pleasant, fairly apparent carbonation. Taste had a nice balance of hops, not too much, but juuuuust enough for me to say, "yup, that's a Hefeweizen alright."

Finish was a bit flat, but wetted the throat nicely. Definitely a thirst-quencher.

Glad I got the 6-pack, but might not get it again.

3.15/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I have to admit this is only the second Hefe Weizen I have had so bare with me. Of course I poured this beer the correct way with the bottle upside down and swirling 1/3 of the bottle to get any yeast of the bottom.

Appearance- This beer is a creamy orange nectarine color that you can not see through. The head is about three fingers after the initial pour but goes down quickly. You can witness the cloudiness of the beer once held up to a light and can really appreciate the amount of yeastiness present just from the sight.

Smell- The smell is very unique. It has a strong apricot smell to it. With a swirl of the glass a strong artificial banana smell comes out. I do smell somewhat of a fake tanginess to the beer but the yeast smell is quite present and and apparent.

Taste- Wow the number one thing I taste right from the get go is a fruity pungent taste. I taste a lot of apricot, however the banana I smelt I cannot really taste. With the second taste and a little bit more concentrated sense, I can taste much of the yeast in the beer and it is quite good actually.

Mouthfeel- The mouthfeel is pretty decent. It has somewhat of a watery consistency, however it has a certain bit of body that can be detected. It is definitely filling but much more watery than I presumed .

Overall, this beer is quite good. I would say that it is a beginners German beer. I would recommend it to any American who has not dived deep within the German Hefe Weizen scene yet. This is only my third review ever let me know how I did! CHEERS!

3.15/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

3.16/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.16/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I'm revisiting this after it scored well in a hefeweizen comparison I did several years back. The initial smell reminds me of white wine, but after it has warmed a bit it is getting that more familiar banana-bread like smell.
Tasting notes: mostly makes me think of crisp lemony citrus, followed by white wine, spice, ripe banana notes that are kind of muted, a bit of a metallic taste in the background. Easy drinking.

3.2/5  rDev -17.3%

On tap at the Tap Room in the Coddingtown Whole Foods in Santa Rosa.

A: What you would expect from a hefeweizen. Cloudy with little head or lacing.

S: Some nice spices. Again pretty typical. Cloves, yeast, wheat. The usuall suspects.

T: Sweeter than I expected. You get the clove and the banana as you would expect, but I also got a slight bubble gum flavor that I have only ever gotten from one other hefeweizen(Gordon Biersch). Ok flavors.

M: Medium bodied. Medium carbonation. Nothing special, but not bad.

O: Not bad, but nothing special. I am happy I ordered it, but am not interested in getting it again.

3.2/5  rDev -17.3%

Slightly murky, it pours with a nice rich golden color. Bright aromas of orange and citrus, the beer is very light and quite refreshing. Though the immediate flavors are fairly mild, it is only in the finish that the flavors really come through: a little sweet with a "creamy" or "smooth" aftertaste. There is a perceptible (albeit surprisingly faint) wheat flavor.

An understated beer that is refreshing for a summer day or to accompany a meal.

Notes: My bottle stated 5.1% ABV. Review made from notes.

3.25/5  rDev -16%