Hofbräu München Hefe Weizen | Hofbräuhaus München

hofbraeuhaus.de

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by Mora2000 on 08-12-2010

3.88/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.6/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer pours a hazy yellow. The aroma is classic hefe, which makes sense as that is what this is. Maybe a little heavier on the spice than fruit components on the nose. The flavor was light, fizzy, fruity, and spicy. Well balanced, but not a stand out in any way. I am loving my new exploration of well done German styles.

4.06/5  rDev +6.3%

From the 330 ml. green bottle. Sampled on August 22, 2015.

Cloudy straw yellow pour under a huge white, foamy head that fades back.

Aroma of toasted wheat, sweetness, grass, and even a hint of lemon.

Smooth, light to medium body,

Delicious sweet toastiness that I expect from a German Hefe that ends clean and slightly dry.

3.91/5  rDev +2.4%

3.95/5  rDev +3.4%

3.84/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Serving: Bottle, from the bottle (eek!)
Served: 8 August 2015

Appearance: Had this one from the bottle, since I was at a party, so I can't comment on how the beer looks, but seriously, a green bottle? I'm normally not one to criticize bottle colors, but of all the beers, a hefeweizen seems the least likely to end up in a green bottle. Minus major points here.

Smell: Soft, sweat underlying maltiness with the standard banana/clove weizen flavors on top. More banana than clove.

Taste: Much better than I had anticipated, with a nice, full banana assertion on top of a sweet, bready malt base. Really not a bad weizen, and definitely better than some of the best American examples, though not as good as Weihenstephaner or Schneider Weisse.

Mouthfeel: A bit thinner than the exemplars of the style, and with a bit higher carbonation.

Overall: A pretty decent German weißbier, along the same lines as Erdinger- good, but nothing special from the German side, but still better than 90% of American-made examples.

3.44/5  rDev -9.9%

Look-Pours dark, hazy , amber
Smell-I am not even sure what to say here, its not good.
Taste- A pleasant spicy , banana undertone, does not taste as strong as the smell.
Mouth Feel- well carbonated, smooth, almost an oily feel.
Overall-A great beer even with the smell.

3.73/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.27/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Hofbräu Hefeweizen.

Didn't even notice this one came in a green bottle until I got it home and looked at it...plus it comes from the skunk belt in Europe. Well, Expect the worst and hope for the best I guess.

Look - Pours hazy orange with a half finger of off white head that doesn't stick around quickly turning into cloud formations on the top of the body. Too murky to get a read on the carbonation. Sediment ia floating around freely. 4.

Smell - Yep, my worst fears have come true. It's a skunked bottle. I don't pick up much else. Some slight clove and banana. But skunk wins this one. 2.5.

Taste - The skunk is there but it is overpowered by ripe, creamy banana. I really cannot grasp much more aside from some lemon zest. This beer straight the fuck up tastes like eating a banana. Unfortunately the skunk lingers around in the background just enough to annoy you and throw the flavor off. 3.5.

Feel - Medium bodied with heavy carbonation. I mean this fuckin' stuff is stinginly heavy. Feel is slightly creamy due to the lingering flavor. 3.25.

Feel - Pretty one dimensional and obviously not fresh due to the presence of the skunk. This is the only green bottled beer I've ever had that broke a solid three. I will admit that if the skunk weren't there in the background being a complete cock block this beer would have gotten a higher score in the taste category. Tastes good, but it could have been killer. And with that, I'm done with green bottled beer forever. 3.5.

4.29/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.98/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.29/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

3.14/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a Pilsner glass. Thin head that dissipated slowly over a few minutes, without much lacing. Color was a nice cloudy gold. Smell was a bit skunky, definitely not my cuppa tea. Mouthfeel was pleasant, fairly apparent carbonation. Taste had a nice balance of hops, not too much, but juuuuust enough for me to say, "yup, that's a Hefeweizen alright."

Finish was a bit flat, but wetted the throat nicely. Definitely a thirst-quencher.

Glad I got the 6-pack, but might not get it again.

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

3.35/5  rDev -12.3%

Bright yellow with a snow white head. Smells of wheat and bread, with a touch of fruit. Taste is sweet but not overbearing. Feels nice and drinks smooth. I'm not a big Hefenweizen fan, but this wasn't too bad.

4.18/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

It's not quite the Hefeweizen I was expecting as it is definitely much clearer than your average Hefeweizen, but it is good nonetheless. It does have that classic Hefeweizen flavor profile, but it's not nearly as in your face as some which is probably why I like it so much. I would consider this a very good starter for anyone looking to try the Hefeweizen category for the first time. So far I've had 4 styles from this brewer and all of them have been very smooth and easy to drink.

3.79/5  rDev -0.8%

Got this as part of a build-your-own-sixer at my Trig's grocer. If I could have read the bottling code earlier, I probably wouldn't have picked this one up, as it says it was bottled on the 118th day of 2014, and this is now the 150th day of 2015. Poured right from the fridge into a weizen glass.

L: Pours a very cloudy dark straw color with about an inch-and-a-half of white frothy head that dissipates fairly quicky and leaves a bit of cling. I'm a little concerned about the amount of sediment that was hanging out in the bottom of this bottle.

S: I could immediately get some skunk aroma when I opened the bottle. As it settles, the skunk isn't nearly as pronounced. There's bright wheat, banana, and a bit of clove in the bouquet. Quite bright and assertive.

T: Here goes nothing... Bright wheat notes at the front--a bit tart on the palate--along with the expected banana bread and clove indicative of the style. The skunkiness from the nose doesn't really carry over into the taste that much, but there is a subtle presence. The middle and back end of the taste carry over most of what was in the front, with just a touch lemongrass at the close. Not too bad for a very old green bottle.

F: Bright, crisp, and at times smooth lighter-bodied brew. There's a good level of carbonation on this one.

O: Well, I haven't keeled over and died from this one yet. I really wish that I had a fresher beer to review, but this really was pretty tasty as is. It's far from the best hefeweizen I've ever had, but I'd have no problems returning to this one again.

4.03/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Let's face it, our friends in Deutchland know how to make beer. This is especially true when talking about this style. Although I've been to Hofbräuhaus House in Munich, I enjoyed this selection from a bottle at home in the USA. This is the standard...Hefeweizen is either better or worse than this. Good beer.

4.67/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Very banana oriented. Quite smooth and light to the palate. Had this on tap at the Hofbräuhaus and it did not disappoint. Not a whole lot of wheat came through though which was surprising because it is a Hefe Weizen... But overall this is quality beer and does not disappoint!

3.79/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.3/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Hofbräu München Hefe Weizen from Hofbräuhaus München