Jägermeister Arrogant Bastard Ale

From:
Stone Brewing - Berlin

Germany
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Jägermeister Arrogant Bastard AleJägermeister Arrogant Bastard Ale
Notes: Arrogant Bastard Ale. Jägermeister.

Reviews: 21 | Ratings: 38 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
dkoehler42 from New York

I don't know how to describe this beer. The color is appropriate for most ales and has a white head. The nose and taste are all herbal though. It's not malty or bitter, just herbal. I like Jagermeister on it's own, but I'm not sure how this works as a beer. I do wonder if this beer has gone past its prime.

Jan 17, 2021
grinreeper from New York

4.37/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've sampled Arrogant Bastard Ales for about the past 5-6 years. I'm impressed with the feel of drinking 7.2 - 8.5 ABV beers from these "Arrogant Bastards." For they satisfy me...as if they're 10+ ABV...like their Woot Stouts. And I must confess...this appears to be my preferred zone of ABV approval. That accomplishes a feeling of contentment...resulting in drinking satisfaction completeness. With a hint of bliss...probably due to the high volume of spirit content!

Now...

Being Italian-American...and nurtured on biscotti...anise-fennel, and the like...I seem to have a special affinity for this specific cock-tale and collaboration. For me...it's a perfect accompaniment...for imbibing...during these Holiday Seasons. Reminds me of my young teen days. When 25+ of us would gather around X'mas-New Years for some jolly filled moments of celebration. Enjoying exquisitely prepared Italian-American cuisine. Treats...of timeless recipes handed down from peasant heritage...that may never again exist...or resonate...in this present era of instant demands. For it takes a bit of time and consuming effort...to bring forth such Sicilian-Italian legends of cuisine...that I've been fortunate to experience...to fruition.

Now...what does these nostalgic musings have to do with this brew I'm actually now imbibing? Simple...It just seems a perfect drink for these Winter-Holiday occasions. It reminds me of those times when I was privileged to experience a special cultural heritage. One that's becoming lost and forgotten.

These sentiments may hold true for others here as well. Whether of European or other heritage backgrounds. I've found the brew that invokes those happy memories for me. Hope you can discover the elixir that can do the same for you.

For me...this Germany-USA collaboration, IMHO...is a very successful one indeed!

I know what's going on in this country...the World...right now. Still...Happy Holidays. Stay healthy. Drink and be Merry!

Dec 19, 2020
Snowcrash000 from Germany

3.73/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a cloudy, deep amber to ruby red coloration with a medium, fluffy head. Smells of caramel malt and strong herbal elements, with licorice, fennel, anise and juniper most noticeable. Taste is a decent balance of caramel malt, strong herbal notes of licorice, fennel, anise, juniper and lighter white pepper, cinnamon and clove, with the fennel and anise standing out particularly here, as well as just a hint of citrus hops and pine coming through. Finishes bittersweet, with a medium bitterness and some fennel, anise and licorice lingering in the aftertaste. Full mouthfeel with a medium/rich body and medium carbonation.

I was really looking forward to this and while I did enjoy it, it left me just a tad disappointed, which may be due to this being around 12 months old now though, which has surely upset the balance a little. First off, I think that this tastes nothing like Jägermeister, which is a good thing in my book. Sure, there are quite strong notes of licorice, fennel and anise at work here, but this is thankfully nowhere near as sweet, boozy or driven by licorice as it could have been, although the fennel and anise notes are particularly distinct still. While there is a decent bitterness left, countering the sweetness nicely, I would have hoped for a bit more nuanced herbal character and better balance, with some more distinct, bitter, resinous and citrus hops, which may well be due to the age of this though. Nevertheless it is a very interesting, unique brew that was probably a lot better at its prime and is certainly not going to be for everyone, with the herbal presence, especially fennel, just being too strong here and kinda drowning out everything else.

Sep 05, 2020
neenerzig from Ohio

4.18/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Split a bomber of this with my good friend Jon Passow earlier tonight. Poured into my tulip glass, this beer pours a mostly clear, medium copper color with some bright highlights around the edges when held up to the light. Has a white head that's about an inch thick when first poured. Settles eventually to a very thick ring surrounding the inside of the glass with some nice spots of surface foam and pretty good lacing. Aromas of some toasted, caramel malt sweetness along with some fruit and spice notes of lime and licorice. Also some grapefruit hope notes. A very similar flavor profile, with some toasted, caramel malt sweetness that gives way to hints of lime, licorice, and grapefruit hop notes. Also just a lightly boozy note. Has a slightly crisp, slightly chewy and syrupy, also smooth, medium to full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Has a clean finish, with a nice herbal and slightly bitter aftertaste. An interesting take on this beer.

Eric

Jun 16, 2020
REVZEB from Illinois

3.2/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A buddy brought this beast over on a whimsical whim. We are still friends even after this monster. A little more oragney than usual for the series, same head. The smell and taste are doused in jager, so much licorice, anise, leather, and some christmas spices, reminds me of poor decisions and college. There is some caramel malt and grapefruit lingering in there too. So full disclosure I am meh on jager, but if you like it you might like this. I don't like this because it is so unbalanced and hot with jager, just overwhelms the palate, and yet it doesn't even have a high abv, not worth it!

Jun 15, 2020
LiquidAmber from Washington

4.09/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into an Arrogant Bastard Ale pint glass. Pours a lightly hazy, medium orange with a fine, three finger light khaki head with good retention and thick lacing. Aroma of mild caramel malt, licorice, anise, sage and medicinal herbs with light orange peel. Flavor is quite medicinal, but the base Arrogant Bastard malt is detectable underneath. Hops are masked by the onslaught of herbs. In addition to the herbs in the aroma, I also pick up strong juniper, wood, a little ginger and an unknown bitter herb like quinine. Long, lingering medicinally bitter finish with a woody quinine touch that does not fade. Medium bodied with light to moderate creaminess, nice mouthfeel. This tastes pretty much as I expected, having sampled Jägermeister years ago, but is actually better than anticipated. I expected that strong liqueur to dominate, but it does not intimidate. The herbal flavors are most clear in the beginning of the taste, where the Arrogant Bastard malt is most noticeable, but get muddled and quite bitter in the finish and afterward. I waited to buy this because of the size of the bottle, anticipating this to be an ale that was not for drinking in large quantities at one time, and that does seem correct, although I have to say that after some of the stronger flavors desensitized my pallate, I actually found this quite sippable. I'm a fan of bitter hops and bitter liquers, and I like this one. My only regret is not getting much of the traditional Stone hops, which are largely masked by the herbal elements. That could be partially because the bottle is a few months old and designed for drinking soon after brewing. I would definitely get this again, but not until it was in a smaller format, more appropriate for one evening of drinking.

Jun 11, 2020
OK_Denise from Oklahoma

3.49/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I really can't say that I will ever drink this again. I respect that it adheres to the style, but the smell and feel is just too strong for my palette. It is not a bad ale, but the smell just puts me off. The taste is not as bad as the smell, and it does grow on you as you drink it (or as your taste buds go numb) but I just do not find it overly appealing.

May 24, 2020
LifesAnesthesia from Virginia

4.58/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

L - Copper with a light tan head that dissipates somewhat quickly but leaves behind a ton of lacing
S - Lots of licorice on the nose along with other herbal notes as well as some pine. Some caramel as well as even root beer notes.
T - Complex: licorice and herbal notes dominate up front and throughout along with notes of earth and pine as well as some caramel, molasses, and root beer and some woody notes
F - Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. There's a softness to it
O - Honestly, way better than I was expecting. The two flavor profiles pair incredibly well together.

Apr 12, 2020
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

4.52/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This will mark the third of a triumvirate of beers & their liquor counterparts, so stay tuned. I eschewed distilled spirits for many years, having gotten into more trouble with them than with simple beer, but in my old age, I'm a bit less fiery. I got this one during one of my last visits to the Friendly Greek Bottle Shop. It was a tad spendy, but I knew that I had a bottle of Jägermeister in the freezer at Mom-Za's place from when Pops & I would partake.

From the Bottle: "Arrogant Bastard Ale. Jägermeister. Two names that elicit adoration by a worthy few, with a storied history of unapologetically flummoxing less refined palates. Jägermeister hails from Wolfenbüttel, Germany while Arrogant Consorita’s European headquarters are in nearby Berlin. In other words, this collaboration was as inevitable as it is incorrigible. Brewed in and imported from Berlin, Jägermeister Arrogant Bastard Ale is fit for sipping on fall evenings, paired with a fine meal or simply given as a gift to any true appreciator of liquid arrogance and independence."

I was very anxious to open this corked & caged beauty since I have long been a fan of both Arrogant Bastard (Larry the bartender's "The Medicine") & Jägermeister. Not only did it come in a massive bottle, but it had an equally massive kick/punt so I poured as slowly & gently as I could into the awaiting glass. I got naught but wisps as a result, but c'est la guerre. Color was Amber to Deep-Amber/Light-Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-quality clarity. The nose was absolutely redolent with the herbs & spices of the liquor!

I remember the first time that I had some - my best friend's brother was having a party while their 'rents were in Vegas & I was admitted into the Sanctum Sanctorum. He & his friends were two years older than us, and at 15/16 y/o, the gap seemed enormous. And their chicks! It was like hot & cold running girls! Somebody reached into his mini-fridge (!) & pulled out a bottle, poured a dram & handed it to me. I will never forget its distinct smell as I lifted it to my lips. Everybody was waiting with bated breath to see if I would cough, spew or otherwise be unable to handle it. When I sucked it down & just smiled, I was in! I have always enjoyed it & it was a treat to share it with my Pops towards the end of his life.

I have also long enjoyed Arrogant Bastard (AB) & when I have been able to find it on draught offering, it is a must! It has its own distinct nose, sharpish without being sweet or boozy & I got that from this conglomeration. Mouthfeel was thick, dense & syrupy, beyond simply a dollop in my mouth & on my tongue. This was a reminder to savor it, to take it slow & easy. The reward was the blooming blossoming of the flavors, led (obviously) by the herbs & spices, but accompanied by the unique flavor of AB. Mmm. I then began to alternate between a draught from the beer's glass followed by a wee sip from the shot glass. It made for a perfect tandem, allowing me to really appreciate what each had brought to the finished product. Finish was absolutely dry, as any beer that includes spice(s) as a/an adjunct(s) should be expected to be. Phew. What a treat while in self-quarantine! YMMV.

Mar 30, 2020
jzeilinger from Pennsylvania

3.79/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - Copper red color with nice clarity

S - Black licorice & anise.

T - Black licorice and anise. (Go figure right here - follows the nose.)

M - Big medium body.

O - Not worth the price tag but go at it.

Dec 08, 2019
Radome from Florida

3.92/5  rDev +3.2%

Tasted on tap at Pkwy Tavern, Summerlin, in Las Vegas.

This was exactly as described by Stone. I have not had Jagermeister in a number of years, but this was full of that aroma and flavor. So much so that it was jarring. It was like a boilermaker of a Jager shot in a glass of Arrogant Bastard. Great execution of the brewer's concept, but the concept just wasn't enjoyable to drink.

Nov 17, 2019
BEERchitect from Kentucky

3.6/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Just when you thought arrogance had hit its apex, Stone Brewing company teams up with Jagermeister for a taste that redefines the Bastard with a notorious, liquor soaked makeover.

As the flavor of the deeply polarizing spirit penetrates the malty and hoppy balance of Arrogant Bastard Ale, this stronger, Jager Bastard pours with the same handsome deep crimson, lightly hazy hues before crowning with a dense foamy blaket of froth. The earthen spice of Jagermeiseter floods the nose with the spice of sarsaparilla, rootbeer, cough syrup and fennel piled onto the toasty, caramelized, piney, citrusy scent of the base Bastard beer. An early maltiness comes with a nougat-rich sweetness of spice cake, toffee and nuttiness.

As the intensely spiced beer washes the middle palate with its arrogance, the sweetness begins to fall away and the licorice flavored liquor batters the tastebuds with anise, rye, Robitussin and lacquer. Trending swiftly bitter, the nuances of citrus early roll through curacao liquor, white grapefruit, pine and tar before closing with an intense chemical bitterness with a fusel spice that pummels the late palate into full submission.

Medium full and sticky with sappy hop resins, the prickling spice of ether numbs the palate and stings with the brevity of menthol and alcohol heat. A long and spicy linger extends well beyond the hop bitterness with the beer's own woodsy spice and sharply unsettled bite.

Nov 14, 2019
hman43 from North Carolina

3.83/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Look: It pours brilliantly clear and amber. It has an off white head with very good head retention.

Smell: It has a minty and licorice like aroma that is very strong.

Taste: It has a licorice, minty, hoppy, and cherry like flavor. It has a high, sharp spice element to it. There is also a strong floral element. The flavors are strong.

Body: It has a medium body with a strong flavorful aftertaste.

Overall, the Jagermeister is strong that the arrogant bastard in balance.

Nov 11, 2019
Ozzylizard from Pennsylvania

3.08/5  rDev -18.9%

$ 17.00 (Including tax)/750 mL cork & cage bottle ($0.669/oz) from Franklin Beer, Franklin, PA. Reviewed 11/03/19.
Undated bottle other than “2019” on banner. Stored on the shelf at the store, stored at home at 42 degrees and served at 55 degrees.
Appearance – 3.5.
First pour – Light amber, clear.
Body – Medium amber, clear.
Head – Large (Maximum 6.9 cm, aggressive center pour), tan, medium density with rocks, short duration, diminishing to a seven to eighteen mm “choppy seas” crown fed by weak effervescence, with a thin partial cap.
Lacing – poor. A few large irregular islands of tiny to small bubbles remain hanging on the walls of the snifter.
Aroma – 3 - Weak. Medicinal herbs, some orange zest, very faint star anise.
Flavor – 3 - Begins very herbal and medicinal. Ends slightly bitter and dry, with a weedy aftertaste. No alcohol (8.5 % ABV) flavor or aroma, no diacetyl, no dimethylsulfide. Weak esophageal warming occurs, eventually leading to a gastric glow. Subsequent belches produce a bit of licorice.
Palate – 3.5 – Full, almost creamy, soft carbonation.
Final impression and summation: 3. The Jagermeister has totally destroyed the flavor and nose of Arrogant Bastard, turning it from a strong ale into a sissified health tonic, priced like a prescription drug. This would be better named “Errant Bastard”.

Nov 03, 2019
teromous from Virginia

4.3/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From the front label, across the banner: "2019"
Other than that there does not seem to be a date. It does say "DRINK FRESH NUMBSKULL" on the left side of the bottle.

Appearance: It has a dark copper color with hints of auburn. It appears mostly clear with a strong opalescence. The head is thick and creamy textured with a tobacco stained yellow-tan color. It has decent head retention and when it fades out there is a small sheet of foam with some larger bubbles on the surface. It has a nice sheet of lacing.

Aroma: It has a very interesting aroma. It smells a lot like grapefruit at first, then there is a strong black licorice scent that follows, and a lime aroma comes in at the end while the nose lingers over the glass. The dance between the black licorice smell and the bright citrus makes the beer very interesting. After drinking the beer for a while it gives this retronasal black pepper quality which only adds to the depth of the beer.

Taste: Up front there is a bit of pine and then black licorice hits the palate. This is washed over by a slightly woody character that brings on a note of cinnamon. It finishes a bit herbal and fruity, like a strong mint tea with a squeeze of lemon. The flavors in this beer are extremely strong.

Mouthfeel: The beer is definitely a sipper given both the strength of its flavors and its strong bitterness. The bottle touts "8.5% ALC/VOL" and it is very well hidden. The body feels on the lower side of medium texture-wise with an off-dry finish. Carbonation is on point for this beer.

Overall: This beer has a ton of flavor. It is not something to be taken lightly and it's not something I would recommend to everyone. The bottle says that this is an "ALE BREWED WITH HERBS, FRUITS AND SPICES" yet it doesn't list which ones, however it absolutely delivers on these flavors. It both smells and tastes fruity, spicy, and herbal. This beer truly is a multi-faceted beer in that it seems to push something new or interesting into the limelight each time it is smelled or sipped. In short, it never gets old. The beer is highly memorable. I would highly recommend seeking it out. If you are a person who is on-the-fence about black licorice, star anise, licorice root, or Jägermeister in general, this beer has a lot more to offer and it's worth it to at least try. I was very impressed by both the quality of the beer and care that was obviously put into putting this together. I would drink it again. If you are adventurous you will be rewarded at some point, and today it was this.

Nov 02, 2019
russpowell from Arkansas

4.17/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours an effervescent & ruddy brown with a thumb of tan head. Above average head retention & lacing, floaties abound at the bottom

S: Piney, herbal, medicinal

T: Follows the nose, so much pineyness, that leads to dryness up front. Some grapefruit surfaces as this warms, plenty of pine & a little jager flavor ( ainise & wodruff ). Finishes dry,piney with grapefruit & a little mint & Jager

MF: Medium body, fairly restrained carbonation

Interesting beer, wanted a little more jager in this, plus sweetness; still well worth trying

Nov 01, 2019
Lucular from Maryland

1.74/5  rDev -54.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

5 oz pour on tap at Lures Bar & Grille. This is one of the worst beers I've ever had. Totally unbalanced. Smells like anise and not much else. It's like drinking liquid licorice jelly beans with hop bitterness extract (if there were such a thing). The base beer seems to have a caramel malt backbone with perhaps some citrus, but the anise and bitterness completely take over. Awful. This beer is impossible to sip and enjoy. Either drain pour it (preferred) or chug it - whatever it takes to end the drinking experience as quickly as possible. Scary to think that this actually comes in a 750 ml bottle. Yikes.

Oct 31, 2019
peepicheep from Pennsylvania

4.04/5  rDev +6.3%

On tap at Ganly's in Reading Pennsylvania.
So here's one of the ways I decide what type of beer to drink. If I've already watched "It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown", then IPA season is over. I want to be able to pick from an abundance of pumpkin, spiced and chocolate beers. So after eliminating all the light beers and IPA'S I asked - well what's popular from your tap list? Thus this review.
Let's do this one by the book.
Look: Not a winner here. I'll call it slightly used motor oil.
Smell: Medicinal. No surprise on this.
Taste: Pick your favorite Italian bitter. Mine is Averna. Then spice it up. This is not a beer for chugging so I've had a bit of time to mull over the flavor. All in all a positive experience but it hits hard.
Feel: Can't really say at this point because the spiciness is numbing my mouth. Let's leave it at - not thin.
Overall: A thumbs up with the usual YMMV warnings. I would need all of fall and winter to finish up a six ( or perhaps four) pack of this brew.

Oct 30, 2019
superspak from North Carolina

4.23/5  rDev +11.3%

750 ml bottle into stone tulip glass, 2019 vintage. Pours lightly hazy/cloudy medium orange/amber/light copper color with a 1-2 finger fairly dense and fluffy light khaki head with fantastic retention, that reduces to nice cap that lasts. Thick foamy lacing clings on the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Fantastic appearance. Aromas of huge licorice, anise, poppy seed, ginger, saffron, cardamom, coriander, cinnamon, allspice, juniper berry, ginseng, orange, grapefruit, lemon, lime, citrus peel/rind, wood, mint, peppercorn, pine, caramel, brown sugar/bread, toasted biscuit, herbal, floral, grass, and yeast earthiness. Damn nice aromas with great balance and complexity of spices, citrus/earthy hops, and moderate dark/bready malt notes; with big strength. Taste of huge licorice, anise, poppy seed, ginger, saffron, cardamom, coriander, cinnamon, allspice, juniper berry, ginseng, orange, grapefruit, lemon, lime, citrus peel/rind, wood, mint, peppercorn, pine, caramel, brown sugar/bread, toasted biscuit, herbal, floral, grass, and yeast earthiness. Light-moderate pine, citrus peel/rind, herbal, floral, woody, grassy, minty, peppery bitterness; and Jägermeister spiciness on the finish. Lingering notes of licorice, anise, poppy seed, ginger, saffron, cardamom, coriander, cinnamon, allspice, juniper berry, ginseng, orange, grapefruit, lemon, lime, citrus peel/rind, wood, mint, peppercorn, pine, caramel, brown sugar/bread, toasted biscuit, herbal, floral, grass, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a while. Fantastic complexity, robustness, and balance of spices, citrus/earthy hops, and moderate dark/bready malt flavors; with a great malt/bitter/spiciness balance; and no astringent hop/spice flavors after the finish. Light-moderate increasing dryness from lingering bitter/spiciness. Medium-plus carbonation and body; with a very smooth, moderately creamy/bready/grainy, and sticky/resinous/rindy balanced mouthfeel that is great. Mild increasing warmth of 8.5% and spice heat after the finish. Overall this is a fantastic spiced American strong ale. All around fantastic complexity, robustness, and balance of spices, citrus/earthy hops, and moderate dark/bready malt flavors; very smooth and dangerously easy to sip on for the ABV with the modestly bitter/spicy/resinous/drying finish. Not overly aggressively bitter/spicy. Perfectly balanced between Jägermeister spices and Arrogant Bastard Chinook hop complexity; with a nice sized bready malt backbone. Mild residual sweetness with lingering resin dryness. A highly enjoyable offering, and outstanding experimental style example. They nailed this one, not overwhelming on any aspect.

Oct 28, 2019
jkblr from Indiana

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

2019 750mL corked bottle poured into an AB shaker pint at fridge temp 8.5% ABV. The beer pours ever so slightly hazy in a rusty amber with orange highlights and khaki head. The head recedes to thin persistent film and leaves minimal lacing. The moderately strong aroma is "Jagery" at first with a hint of citrus and pine buried underneath. The taste is more of the same with big spice up front (anise, cinnamon, evergreen) tapering off to a moderately bitter, black licorice finish. The malt body is definitely in the background, but there's a little caramel and some substance to it. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, adequately carbonated and dry in the finish. Overall, very good. I had some concerns, but they pulled this together pretty well. I still drink Jager straight so your mileage may vary.

Oct 20, 2019
EMV from Pennsylvania

4.08/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured from a cork'n'cage bomber into a Dogfish Head tulip

L: Clear caramel colored pour with thick fluffy white head. Great retention and lacing.

S: Licorice, citrus, and spice. The Jager really comes through.

T.F: Strong Jager again... licorice, herbs, and spice. Lighter caramel and dark sugars from the Bastard underneath. Hop bitterness and earth. Feels boozier than the ABV... a bit of oak and mint. Medium bodied. Sticky on the tongue. A surprisingly refreshing aftertaste.

O: A pretty phenomenal collaboration, and I've never seen a beer done with Jagermeister before. Another arrogant, unique, and tasty concoction from Stone.

Sep 28, 2019