Boon Geuze | Brouwerij Boon

boon.be

Style: Gueuze

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

1.58/5  rDev -59.7%

Smells very sour and tastes slightly like vinegar. Burning feel, and oily aftertaste. Not a fan.

Appearance: Cloudy; orangish; no head

Aroma: Sour; citrusy (mostly lemony); ginger

Taste: oaky; spritzy; very tart; dry finish; kind of like unsweetened orange soda on the end

Remarks: Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; so please disregard those scores

2.1/5  rDev -46.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

2.25/5  rDev -42.6%

2.3/5  rDev -41.3%

Head of white and orange body. Unsettling aroma of forgotten fruit left in a lunch bag for three days too long. Sour and earthy, like overripe french cheese. Zing-zap pow on the palate. I poured this for four of my friends, and we all poured it out. I cannot see the hops, unless that is was tastes like rotting leather (or what I imagine that might taste like). This is not as bad as I make it sound, but not much better. This is fabulously interesting, but anything but enjoyable.

2.39/5  rDev -39%

Appearence: Pours an incredibly hazy copper with a HUGE mountainous off-white head.

Smell: The smell is a mix of champagne-like dryness with a strong sour flavor, as well as fruits and sugar.

Taste and Mouthfeel: I'm let down. The flavor is an incredibly watered down sour flavor. It's incredibly tart without having a base or root flavor. Nothing special, and far from being complex. The mouthfeel is decently full, and the aftertaste lingers nicely.

Drinkability and Overall: You want a garbage geueze? Here it is. Looks great, smells even better, but tastes just about as fake as a spontaneously fermented beer can get. Blah.... As my girlfriend put it, "Fuck this!" I agree, baby.

2.43/5  rDev -38%

Orange color. Very sour flavor, also very yeasty. I did not like it, personally.

2.46/5  rDev -37.2%

Clearly, not the style I prefer. That said, if you've never tasted one, do it. I'm willing to try it again.

A - Very nice golden/orange with an impressive head and tons of carbonation.

S - Mild citric acid; warm fruit on the stove top.

T - Bitter apple; herbs that border on being medicinal.

M - Astringency tends to overwhelm but there's enough nuanced creaminess to make this complex, fizzy brew unusual.

D - Tried it with pan seared pheasant with a brandy and apple reduction. The carbonation detracted so we switched to wine. Oh, well.

2.46/5  rDev -37.2%

This beer pours a slightly murky amber-orange color. Carbonation level seems high upon viewing. The head is white, deep, airy and fluffy. It sticks around too. Aroma is sour and tart. This beer is so tart and sour it is almost undrinkable. I can't imagine this is the taste they're after, but I've never had a gueuze before so I don't know for sure. The body of this beer is very light and the carbonation level isn't as high as it appears to be. Huge sour apple notes. Highly acidic. 3 times as tart as the Rodenbach Alexander I had a while ago. Maybe this is an acquired taste type of thing. Or maybe this one is stale. In any case I can say this isn't enjoyable.

I am a gueuze virgin no more.

2.6/5  rDev -33.7%

This is ok but seems rather thin, light, and bland to me, with little real taste beyond a light tart-sour character.

Pale amber and slightly hazy, it has a huge off-white head slowly shrinking to a permanent thin top but leaves no lace.

The aroma is slightly funky and fruity, yeasty with strong turned pears, hints of grain, metal, and cheddar cheese. It seems close to what I would expect and seems promising.

The taste, though, is quite thin and bland, kind of like very dry champagne (which I don't like and find rather flavourless). It has a fizzy, thin, dry feel as well. It's tart, even mouth puckeringly tart at first, with a light sourness and vinegary turned fruit. Otherwise, it has just a light yeasty-pear skin taste and only a hint of grain that lingers in the aftertaste. Beyond being just dry, tart, and sour, however, it has almost no character and all the rest is very light and it is very thin and bland.
It certainly has no complxity because it has almost no flavour profile at all. It's ok and I can see why someone who enjoys just having tartness or sourness might like it, but I get almost no funky yeasty character or anything else and I see no point in ever drinking anything that has so little taste. I might as well drink tap water.

2.67/5  rDev -31.9%

Golden yellow in color, surprisingly clear. (Note: because of the head, I was only able to pour half of the bottle. When the rest was added, it was quite cloudy, as expected). Very impressive head, nice lace left on the glass.

Strong skunky sourness present; could this be an old bottle? Again, as I've said in previous evaluations, using green or clear bottles (particularly for imports) is foolish. If there is ever a beer that will sit on the counter for a long time, it will be a lambic!

The taste an improvement from the aroma, but this still appears to be past its prime. Strong citrus sourness is the predominant flavor. Much like a bitter sweettart, this is a strongly, lip-puckeringly sour lambic. I'm reminded of sucking on a lemon.

Personally, I strongly prefer the flavored lambics like cassis, framboise, or peche. There's so little sweetness here that I'm struggling to complete the tasting.

2.79/5  rDev -28.8%

12.7mL bottle poured into my brand new sniftner. The bottle had a best by date of...April 25, 2027. that's craziness.

A - cloudy orange/amber color with 1.5cm of white head.

S - dead skunk, lactic acid.

T - dead skunk, lactic acid, complete with a mouth-puckering tartness, slight fruit flavor, maybe. there's not much going on here as the lactic acid is the most prominent flavor.

M - pretty carbonated, like champagne. normal consistency for gueze.

D - this is the second gueze I've ever had. I think that Cuvee Renee was much better. This one lacked a diverse flavor profile.

2.8/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A slightly hazey dark orange colored ale with a big off white head and some lace. The aroma is sour fruit. Most predominate was a sour apple aroma. The taste is VERY sour and Very dry kind of oaky with a bitter apple peel after taste. I could not determine the Bottling year of my bottle. But I did note the the bottle claims 6.5% ABV.

2.93/5  rDev -25.3%

12oz bottle into Duvel tulip. 22 05 2028 L8143 13:41:00 printed on the bottle. I'm assuming this means it was either bottled or put in oak barrels at 1:41pm on May 22nd of either 2010 or 2008, respectively, but I don't really know (care).

Appearance: Despite zero gushing when opening the bottle, this rather carbonated beer leaves a three inch fizzy and rocky just-offwhite head that dissipates steadily, leaving ephemeral, bubbly lacing webs. Pours a hazy orange and leaves occasional swoops of lacing along the glass. Looks really good.

Smell: Effervescent and sour. More barnyard than tang/cologne to this brett funk. While I remain unfamiliar with the smell of horse blanket, if "horse blanket" in beer means something like leather and horse sweat, this one's leaning on the side of sweat, with some dirt thrown in. I'm not finding that aspect pleasant, but there's also some really interesting mineral smells, some vague citrus, emerging cologne-like notes, and a general sourness that's really nice. Great balance to the aroma, despite venturing further in the barnyard than I wanted to go.

Taste: First impression: This is not very tart or sour, though there's some nice, reasonably deep, earthy funk. I think I need to warm it up a bit.

As the beer warms, the dirt from the nose emerges in the beer, along with a mild, unexpected bitterness. Too much barnyard, not enough tang. No sweetness at all, and barely any sourness or tartness. Finishes extremely dry.

Uninspired by this beer, I try some cheddar and crackers to maybe combat some of the assault, but the beer remains bitter and predominantly characterless. There's occasional good elements, but never do I get one really good sip; for example, late in the glass this really nice note of pear jumps out, but is then quickly eaten up by building bitterness and abrasive dryness. It's not terrible, but it's not good either.

Mouthfeel: The 3.5 I'm awarding here is basically a 4.0 for creaminess and nice, bright carbonation, along with a 2.0 for the uncomfortably dry finish and out of control astringency. Slightly lighter than medium bodied.

Drinkability: To be frank, I don't like this beer at all. I finished the bottle, but I didn't particularly want to.

Unless the bottles vary widely and are occasionally amazing, I see no reason to ever buy this when you can get better geuezes or other wild ales for comparable or lower prices. It really was a mess. The lack of sourness or tartness really highlighted the fact that the majority of what was happening in the taste was brett as dirt and surprising bitterness. The most boring wild ale I've ever had.

3.05/5  rDev -22.2%

Picked up a bottle of this at Green Mountain Boys on my way through Rutland VT last weekend. 12oz corked and caged bottle for $6.59, looks like it could've been sitting around for quite a while. Label is a little yellowed and it was the only one of its kind in the store. Code on the label is faded, but my best guess is 25,04,2027. Served cold in a white wine glass. Never had geuze before, so I'm really interested to give it a try. Here goes.

A: Twisting the cork out gives a healthy pop. Poured softly to avoid disturbing the thick sediment cake at the bottom of the bottle. Cloudy golden brew gives 1/2" of fizzy clear head that quickly vaporizes to nothing. A steady stream of small bubbles gives the surface a continuous low boil.

S: Tart and effervescent, definitely agree with the barnyard and sweaty horse blanket descriptions other reviewers have offered. It seriously reminds me of the urine-soaked shavings I've cleaned out of horse stalls.

After letting it air a bit, some of the barnyard funk fades and more of a tart rotten fruit aspect emerges.

T: Taste has some thin sour fruit aspects, but the main thing is something acrid that I can only describe as burnt hair. As if I'd stuck a lit match into my armpit. Or maybe like burnt popcorn husks. Some yeasty funk, barnyard, and crotch sweat. Seriously... if I ran a marathon and then wrung the sweat out of my underwear into a glass and then lit it on fire, this is what it would smell like.

M: Fizzy, watery, very dry. Finish is a bit of vinegar. Very belchy.

D: As horrible as all the descriptors I've used are, I can see how this could be an acquired taste. Not entirely unpleasant, I guess it isn't all THAT bad. Since this is my first geuze, I have no idea if this is a bad bottle or if it is indeed supposed to taste like this. *shrug* I'd try it again, preferably in the company of a geuze guru.

3.07/5  rDev -21.7%

Appearance: Great big white head, initially the texture of meringue. It's fairly volatile so it breaks down quickly, but still retails excellently. Body is a peachy red-orange and slightly hazy.

Smell: This is my first gueuze, and so far, I am a little weirded out, but intrigued. It is extremely funky with a wide range of sour scents: apple cider vinegar, stale lemons, Pixy Stix, extremely underripe cherries, and sour cream. Light barnyard, glue, and fungal/blue cheesy tones (aged hops?) add to the bizarrity.

Taste: Hmm... pretty good. The sourness is multi-layered (as described in the aroma), but overall reminds me a bit of white grapefruit juice with a sprinkle of salt (saltydogs, anyone?). White wine notes are present as well. Finish is sharp, then clean like mineral water. Odd, but good. Quite refreshing, really.

Mouthfeel: Lively carbonation and only a slight sharpness. Matches the flavor well.

Drinkability: I'd be lying if I said I didn't find the sourness in this beer a little overpowering, so for me the drinkability score is less than average, even though it is fairly tasty and refreshing. I can only handle this in smaller volumes. A great beer to pair with fruit or brie (or both), though. I'd say, serve this at a brunch... hell, it would probably make a pretty awesome mimosa.

3.1/5  rDev -20.9%

This brew pours a large head of fine to medium sized white bubbles and an transparent ligh amber brown body. It had a strong citrousy fruity aroma. The flavor was strong and bubbly with notes of citrus. It has a very tart initial mouthfeel that left my mouth feeling bubbly. There was a slight bite in the finish.

3.13/5  rDev -20.2%

When poured, this beer had a large sized ivory head with fine-small sized bubbles that mostly dissipated. The body was cloudy with carbonation observed and the hue was brown. The nose was fruity and sweet with a sweet flavor to it. The mouthfeel was smooth, thin, watery and light bodied. There was a fair amount of lacing with this beer.

3.13/5  rDev -20.2%

Geuze Boon sits in the glass a hazy light brown. The aroma... hmm... your typical funkiness, and... cheese? The flavor profile is marked by a mustiness, along with "horse" and those other barnyard descriptors. I know Boon is one of the more notable producers of authentic Lambics, but even the beer snob in me can't force an endorsement of this. I will say that this nothing in this beer is offensive, and it's just interesting enough to be above average.

3.16/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Combination of lemon and orange along with mint undertones. Not very tasty to me but still refreshing to drink.

3.18/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.18/5  rDev -18.9%

Bottle shared by mdfb79. Thanks Dan.

The beer appears hazy and rusty orange hued with a half inch of white head. The aroma is decent, with notes of hay, funk, oak. The flavor is earthy and oaky, and much sweeter than I expected. Not as delicate or smooth on the palate as I was hoping. Sharpness in the finish. Half the bottle remained the next day, which is a tell tale sign, since my house is like a gueuze vacuum. I'd be willing to try it again, hopeful of a different result.

Boon Geuze from Brouwerij Boon