Boon Kriek | Brouwerij Boon

good
good
Read the review
Boon KriekBoon Kriek

3.6

3.77/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4% ABV.
Pours clear red with nice creamy pink head, moderate retention. Smell - cherries, taste - tart cherries and some yeast funk. Ample drinkability, refreshing, but not as gorgeous.

4.16/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.71/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is a light and refreshing drink. It is pretty much a one dimensional flavor without any complexity or surprises. It reminded me of a Shirley Temple or maybe some sort of alcoholic version of red cream soda. It is easy to imagine knocking these back at an outdoor party in the summer. Probably not what I will be spending my "fancy beer" money on again in the future, but not bad either.

3.79/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A: deep red in color; 1 finger pink head that receded quickly to a thin collar; no lacing;

S: cough medicine like, but with a sweet and tartness that sets it apart from that;

T: cherry soda; I can see how people would get cough medicine, but the combination of sweet and tart takes me away from that;

M: light to medium bodied; highly carbonated; dry finish;

O: interesting style;

3.54/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.71/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.85/5  rDev +6.9%

4.24/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I am drinking a bottle that has been cellared for 2.5 years.

L: pours hazy pink to light cherry red under a thin pink tinted foal collar that rapidly dissipates to a thick film.

S: cherry, cherry pie, light funk, a suggestion of vanilla, hint of earthiness.

T: Big cherry flavors supported with a moderate cherry tartness, a trace of mineral and a tart finish. The cherry flavors linger.

F: Very refreshing with a big effervescence that hits kombucha levels with a softer feel.

O: an excellent, classic beer. Even after 2.5 years in the cellar, the cherry flavors and aromas are intense.

3.16/5  rDev -12.2%

Beautiful hue, light nose, but truly too much of a 'one note' party for me to hold this in esteem with other favorite Belgian beers. Cherry juice all day long. Clean, refreshing, etc. Just not the complex experience I was looking for. Will have to do a bit more research into the style, I presume.

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

4.15/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.15/5  rDev +15.3%

3.87/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.63/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.06/5  rDev -15%

3.52/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes at Stone Sour Fest on 6/26/11.

2.28/5  rDev -36.7%

sparkling red cordial. no lambic qualities.

3.56/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Boon Kriek a few days ago for $10.99 at The Lager Mill. I've been working my way through a few different Kriek's lately and I thought I would give this one a try, so lets see how it goes. Best by May 2016. Poured from a green 750ml corked and caged bottle into a teku.

A- The label has a nice simple and clean look to it and it isn't that eye catching. It poured a dark red crimson color that took on more of a ruby and crimson color when held to the light with almost a fingers worth of light pink head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left some patchy lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking Kriek, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with a wine like aroma being the first to show up along with a lot bit of oaky and woody tannins. Up next comes the cherries which have a tart cherry an black cherry like aroma with a slight bit of vinegar showing up at the end. The aroma is nice, but I was hoping for more of brighter and juicer cherry aspect.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but lighter and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the cherries being the first to show up and this time they have more of juicier cherry aspect to it, but it's still a little on the lighter side. Up next comes some of those wine like aspects that I got in the aroma, but this time they are lighter. On the finish there's a high amount of low tartness with a little more sweetness and cherry juice aftertaste. This is a nice tasting Kriek, but I wish the cherry aspects were a little bolder.

M- Smooth, a little refreshing, crisp, on the very light side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel is pretty nice and it works well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and I thought it was a nice and lighter example of the style, I was expecting to be hit over the head with tons of cherries, but in the end it was a little more subtly than I was expecting and while that hurt the flavor a little it did help the drinkability. This beer had good drinkability, it's very smooth, a little refreshing, crisp, not too filling, one glass is the perfect amount for me, but if it was really hot out I could drink the whole bottle, What I like the most about this beer was the drinkability and that it wasn't overly sweet. What I liked the least about this beer was that the cherry aspect was a little more intense. I might get this again when i'm in the mood for a more drinkable kriek. I would recommend it find most Krieks are too sweet and intense for you. All in all I liked this beer, but I didn't love it, it just lacked that cherry intensity that I like from the style. It's not my favorite beer from Boon, and it's not a favorite of the style. Nice job guys, this was a nice and different take on the style.

2.73/5  rDev -24.2%

Far too sweet and a very subtle sour/tart finish. Carbonation was very aggressive. It reminds one of a wine cooler. There is definitely the sensation that that one is drinking cough syrup.

3.56/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.54/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.52/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this on tap at the Beer Museum in Bruges.

3.7/5  rDev +2.8%