Leffe Brune / Brown | Abbaye de Leffe S.A.

Leffe Brune / BrownLeffe Brune / Brown

Style: Belgian Dark Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-25-2001

Ratings: 1,869 |  Reviews: 542

1.1/5  rDev -71%

Look: looks like gravy.

Smell: burnt, like concentrated marmite. Really disgusting. It's really. Disgusting. Like burnt dirt.

Taste: what I imagine oven scraping is like. 50 year old hardened marmite.

Feel: just like water, just rubbish

Overall : I will never drink it again. I'm annoyed by it's existence

1.12/5  rDev -70.4%

1.22/5  rDev -67.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Lean brown: what a sugar bomb even according to belse double measurements, you smack all the carmelized sugars with a slightly wrinkled edge, also taste the caramel sugars the upper tone is the cruelty of the yeast and the cheaply burned malt

1.25/5  rDev -67%

1.25/5  rDev -67%

1.33/5  rDev -64.9%

I never heard of Leffe until I was at a party and one of my good friends was drinking it. Traded away a Gritty McDuff's pale ale for one and boy did I regret it. Smelt it and it smelled very bitter for a beer, especially a Belgian one. Poured nicely with a cream white head, which gave it some potential. I tasted it and my first reaction was to check the bottle if it was expired. It was very bitter and sour... possibly too much hops. Had another sip and left it in the sink. If you were to try, it would take a while to drink another one after the first.

1.5/5  rDev -60.4%

1.66/5  rDev -56.2%

This might be the oddest beer i've ever tasted. It caught my eye while passing through the supermarket and I had high hopes.

The good thing I can say about Leffe Brune/Brown is that it ours well and gives you a nice thick head atop your beer.

Leffe Brown had a caramel/malt smell but not in an appealing way. I found myself shying away from smelling it again. As for the taste it's like a sweet caramel brown ale but it just failed. I couldn't even finish it, and that's really saying something. I got maybe a quarter through it and said it taste too bad for me to want to finish. I'm stuck with five left so maybe the second time around I'll enjoy it more but this beer was awful.

1.91/5  rDev -49.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

2.07/5  rDev -45.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I've tasted this ale more than 40 times in different places and on various occasions, not to count consuming bottled Leffe at home. Must admit that I gradually developed strong dislike for this particular Dark.

It looks good, yeah - very dark brown with proper head, lace and everything. It smells wonderful - roasted malts, black fruit, yeasts and dry herbs. But it's the taste that disappoints me: always too sweet, too heavy, free of any sophistication, with a sticky mouthfeel and unpleasant finish.

This ale, packed with sugar, maybe a good restorative for those who remained unconscious for a long time. Conscious drinker must have something else.

Leffe Brune / Brown from Abbaye de Leffe S.A.
Beer rating: 3.79 out of 5 with 1,869 ratings