Leffe Brune / Brown | Abbaye de Leffe S.A.

Leffe Brune / BrownLeffe Brune / Brown

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

2.75/5  rDev -27.4%

3.26/5  rDev -14%

330mL on draft in a goblet at the Brussel airport.

A - Dark brown color with red hues. The rocky head has a good retention and leaves a beautiful lacing on the glass. One of the most beautiful beers on draft I have ever seen. 5/5

S - Typical smell from a belgian brew with a domination of esters. Yeasty, toasted with some dark fruits notes and aromas of nuts and caramel. The whole blend is somehow fresh (hop contributes?). 4/5

T - Tast is mild in comparison with the smell. Yeast is well present upfront, then the taste develops notes of dark fruit and raw sugar but flovors stay too discrete in my opinion and lack some spiciness. 3/5

M - With a rather light body making this beer quite watery, the mouthfeel is very disappointing. Other than that, hop is present at then end with a relatively strong bitterness. 2/5

O - I big disappointement for me in terms of flavors and mouthfeel. I'll try it from a bottle to compare... Worth a try though. 3/5

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

3.68/5  rDev -2.9%

I had this for the first time last night, having had the Leffe Blonde on numerous occasions. I was pleasantly surprised by the taste, considering it was reasonably priced for a Belgian at $10.00 for a 6 pack. Although I do not believe it is bottle-conditioned, the level of carbonation was a reasonable facsimile of bottle- conditioning. It had some of the the Belgian "funk" that I so dearly love, yet was more sessionable than many Belgians at 6.5% abv.

Perhaps the best way to sum it up is to say it seemed like a Belgian beer reproduced for the masses. I don't mean that as a slam, as I enjoyed it and will certainly buy it again. In fact, I think it serves as a better "all nighter" than the higher abv Belgian classics (my beloved Maredsous Tripel for example...) that I enjoy so much. It is worth a try as long as you don't go in expecting Chimay.

3.95/5  rDev +4.2%

Bought at the neighborhood store in London for a pound,39. ($2.29) Poured into a glass at my hotel room in London.

A: Very brown with a one finger fluffy tan head that stays. Great lacing.

S: coriander, Belgian funk, biscuits, malts.

T: Dark, rich, delicious. Belgian funk comes riding in. Chocolate. Smokey with a smooth coffee finish. Like Leffe Blonde with some heft.

M: Medium, creamy carbonation.

O: Very enjoyable. Would drink again. The Leffe brewery does ale right.

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

Leffe Brune / Brown from Abbaye de Leffe S.A.
Beer rating: 3.79 out of 5 with 1,854 ratings