Leffe Brune / Brown | Abbaye de Leffe S.A.

Leffe Brune / BrownLeffe Brune / Brown

Abbaye de Leffe S.A.
abbaye-de-leffe.be

Style: Belgian Dark Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-25-2001

Ratings: 1,839 |  Reviews: 536

3.59/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.32/5  rDev -39.1%

Once again with Leffe. I have never tried this brown so I was hoping it was better than the blond. NOPE. Poured at 40 degrees, beer was very pretty I must admit with a giant head. Mahogany color mmmI thought. But as soon as I smelled it I knew it was that same sour beer we hate. Don't understand it either My wife spent a year in Holland and loved this beer on tap. When she got back here to Va. we started buying it and first sip she took was yuk! And we have tried several times hoping it was just a bad or old beer. I don't know maybe the export product is not the same as the beer overseas. Don't matter I will never again waste money to try it anymore unless we find it on tap.

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

3.58/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - 3.75 - Nice dark brown clear color with a good 3 fingers of head on it that leaves a nice lacing on the glass.
S - 3.75 - Not that much for smell. Dark fruits, bready malts and cinnamon. Belgian yeast.
T - 3.5 - Alright, it's not horrible, but it's not that great either. Very fruity dark fruit flavor. Bready malts. Belgain yeast. Banana. Nothing too complex
M - 3.5 - Kind of light for the style. Missing a certain "wow" factor. No alc taste at all (actually a downside for this kind of beer). Aftertaste is almost nothing, but bready malts at best.
O - 3.5 - I rarely give a rating this low for a genre of beer that I like so much. I liked this when I first had it, but it's just not that good.

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

4.32/5  rDev +13.4%

3.38/5  rDev -11.3%

Leffe Brune
A- clear but dark brown with hints of dark red. 1 1/2 finger finger extremely creamy off white head.
S- slight dark fruit, heavy brown sugar.
T- extremely creamy. Super sweet. Mild fruit and stronger brown sugar.
Actually needs some hops of some kind to balance the sweetness. Has that "bubblegum" flavor that Leffe blonde has in the background.
M- a little too slick.
O- good because it is a style I like, but actually a poor take on it. No hops balance whatsoever, even as it warms, not evenly slightly in the background. Bubblegum-ness is gross. I guess that's Leffe's trademark though... Egh.
A- 4. S-4. T- 3 M-3.25. O- 3.25

Leffe Brune / Brown from Abbaye de Leffe S.A.